If Xathrid Gorgon leave the battlefield the creatures it petrified return to normal?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
If [C]Xathrid Gorgon[/C] leave the battlefield the creatures it petrified return to normal? Or do I need the Gorgon to stay on the field to keed them petrified?
For future reference, this should be in the Rules Q&A section.

To answer, once Gorgon's ability is used on a creature that creature will have Defender and be a colorless artifact regardless of whether Gorgon is still on the battlefield.

In fact, the petrification counter isn't even required for those stats to apply.  So if you were to use a Hex Parasite to remove the petrification counter it would have no effect (except giving parasite +1/+0 until end of turn, obviously).
Thanks!
To support Freyjann's post, you must notice what is not there. It says "It gains defender and is a colorless artifacts and its activated can't be activated (here is what is not here) as long as it has a petrification counter. Nothing on the card says as long as it has a petrification counter, do this. The counter is merely a reminder, and "still works" even if removed
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!