Cleric/Rageblood Barbarian

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a build I've been thinking about for a little bit but finally got a chance to start playing ( a slight variation due to house rules anyway ).
It's kind of an unfocused striker that acts as an off leader and off defender.

Kildrak, level 11
Dwarf, Cleric|Barbarian, Paragon of Victory
Hybrid Cleric: Battle Cleric's Lore
Hybrid Talent: Feral Might
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor
Dwarf Subrace: Standard Dwarf Racial Traits
Background: East Rift (East Rift Benefit)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 23, Con 19, Dex 11, Int 9, Wis 12, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 29 Fort: 26 Reflex: 19 Will: 21
HP: 82 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +15, Endurance +16, Athletics +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, History +4, Insight +8, Intimidate +5, Nature +6, Perception +8, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Spear Expertise
Level 6: Improved Rageblood Vigor
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Reckless Charge
Level 11: Deadly Axe

POWERS
Guardian encounter: Guardian's counter
Cleric at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Cleric encounter 1: Mighty Hew
Cleric daily 1: Weapon of Astral Flame
Barbarian utility 2: Combat Sprint
Barbarian encounter 3: Brutal Slam
Barbarian daily 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Cleric utility 6: Stream of Life
Barbarian encounter 7: Curtain of Steel
Cleric daily 9: Divine Power
Cleric utility 10: Word of Vigor
Paragon of victory encounter: Fanatic Energy

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Jagged Gouge +3, Badge of the Berserker +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Horned Helm (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Imposter's Wyvernscale Armor +3, Rampaging Slayer's Gloves (heroic tier), Belt of Feral Might (heroic tier)

The main idea

• A Barbarian with bcl to be able to have good ac and start with 20 str.

• Some immediate attacks so it can punish like a defender for a few turns each encounter.

• A large weapon, charge package, and some minor action attacks to act like striker most of the time.

• Solid cleric healing powers to off leader when it needs to be.

• Does it all from lv1

• eventually get lots of temp hp to combo with Stream of Life and Guardian's counter ( 20 temp hp when you kill an enemy at lv 11 )

• eventually a good number of attacks per turn for high crit damage

Disadvantages

• Poor ref and will defenses

• Not great accuracy unless charging

• Not the best damage

• feat starved at low levels.

other ideas
Multiclass fighter for draeven marauder pp, for easier expanded crit. Paragon of Victory seems a lot better for action economy and doesn't take a precious feat.

Multiclass fighter, take cunning stalker and completely screw up stats for surprising charge. I wouldn't do it, as the whole point of this build is to start with 20 str and Dwarven Weapon Training.
What are the house rules you have mentioned?
they are not in this build, but basically Expertise feats are banned, an extra feat at lv1, and when you multiclass you can pick your next encounter from the multiclassed class.
So the one I'm accualy playing will have warrior of the wild and cunning stalker feats instead of Spear Expertise. and avenging charge lv3 ranger encounter.
Are Expertise feats banned because the DM gives you a scaling bonus to hit for free?  Otherwise your DM is imposing an accuracy debuff on everyone just for the fun of it.  At Paragon level you're eating a 10% decrease in accuracy due to game mechanics getting all fussed up.
Are Expertise feats banned because the DM gives you a scaling bonus to hit for free?  Otherwise your DM is imposing an accuracy debuff on everyone just for the fun of it.  At Paragon level you're eating a 10% decrease in accuracy due to game mechanics getting all fussed up.

No idea if he is doing something to compensate, doesn't matter, as the game doesn't become unwinnable to someone without an expertise feat and it's not what the thread is about.
I would put some points into wisdom.  I would go 20 15 10 8 13 10 for starting stats and then put your heroic tier bumps into wisdom instead of con.  Eventually pick up superior will, probaly before improved defenses in your case.  Having a decent will defense and being able to avoid stun and dazed is worth slightly lower con mod.

Stream of life combos with divine power as well.

No idea if he is doing something to compensate, doesn't matter, as the game doesn't become unwinnable to someone without an expertise feat and it's not what the thread is about.

True but it is relevant to the thread based on the fact that it's stated under your DISADVANTAGES-poor accuracy unless charging. A +1/2/3 per tier can really help this.
yes and the build I posted and that we are talking about has spear expertise
You're absolutely right, sorry I derailed.

I don't think accuracy is a big issue your character.  With a starting 20 STR he's as accurate with the Gouge as a Fullblade user starting at 18 STR.  The only suggestions I would really make are more party-specific.  For instance, the people at my table tend to be prone-happy so Headman's Chop would be an auto-include for me.

I second the possibility of starting with a bit higher WIS score.  How many riders aside from starting HP and Surges are on your CON?
I think the accuracy is pritty good for a barb, but large weapon barbs are the least accurate striker in the game. I'm used to starting with +9-10 vs ac, and this is only +7.
con is only used by rageblood vigor, gives +con temp hp whenever you kill an enemy, starting with some wis does sound like a good idea.
Sign In to post comments