Optimized Half-Orc Archer Ranger?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
The party consists of a Half-Elf shielding swordmage, Tiefling enchanter mage, Goliath rageblood barbarian, and Gnome cunning bard. The character in question is, without question, a Half-Orc for RP purposes. Any way I try it I just can't put together a ranged character that can even enter the discussion when it comes to effectiveness of the current light blade wielding scout (based on LDB's "The Slasher" build).

My assumption is that it's just not possible to create an effective ranged character given the Half-Orc restriction (the race is just that much better supported for melee characters), but I wanted to see if anyone else had come up with anything that can at least enter the discussion of parity with the melee Scout build.

(And, yes, I realize the answer is just to play an Elf, but since that's off the table....)
Shoot to Thrill should be fine. Just replace Elf/Bow feats by Crossbow feat options. Strength from Pain paragon feat + a hand axe of blood fury +1 ought to boost you back up into competition when you do your nova...
18 Dex +2, 14 Wis, 11 Con + 2.  You can't MC into Rogue for Snap Shot (not if you're using a greatbow or sup xbow), but just take off-action, and double/triple-tap powers.  Furious assault will help give one attack some oomph.  As long as you have Twin-Strike, you'll put a hurting on stuff.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

18 Dex +2, 14 Wis, 11 Con + 2.  You can't MC into Rogue for Snap Shot (not if you're using a greatbow or sup xbow), but just take off-action, and double/triple-tap powers.  Furious assault will help give one attack some oomph.  As long as you have Twin-Strike, you'll put a hurting on stuff.

Agreed.  Snap Shot increases the nova, but my elf ranger takes Superior Will instead on the same priciple of action economy and I'm happy with the result.
Steady Shooter opens up in paragon (if you bumped Con instead of Strength, which you should), for an extra little bit of damage as long as you stay put.

I'd actually suggest the Hunter fighting style for that, and maybe pick up Battle Caster Defense for an additional +4 to AC for opportunity attacks.  Then, you really don't have to move much; +8 to AC on OA's is pretty bonkers for one feat and class feature.

Disregard most of that if you want Battlefield Archer as it's Archery Style only.  Steady Shooter is still a good addition, however.
You got a race that has a Dex bump, but you cant make a good archer ranger out of it?  Am I missing something?  Seems straight forward to me.

I have an upper heroic Half-Orc Ranger with a Great Bow (stacks nice with the racial).  He might only be 75% of what this board likes to see, but he humiliates the rest of my party. And rarely ever gets hurt.
Starter stats as above: 10 11(+2) 18(+2) 8 14 10

Actually, you can use Snap Shot with a Superior Crossbow. You just can't do Sneak Attack damage with it.

You really can play Shoot to Thrill with a Half-Orc(or for that matter, any race) - you're just losing the perfect benefits of being an Elf. Being a Dex/Con race with free temp hit points isn't going to kill you... 

Actually, you can use Snap Shot with a Superior Crossbow. You just can't do Sneak Attack damage with it.

You really can play Shoot to Thrill with a Half-Orc(or for that matter, any race) - you're just losing the perfect benefits of being an Elf. Being a Dex/Con race with free temp hit points isn't going to kill you... 

Ah, good to know about the Snap Shot and all.  And I agree about half-orc, seems like a good way to tone it down just a hair, and still kick a little ass.

Could also tack on a MC Assassin for some extra shroud damage since you lose out on sneak attack damage. 
Could also tack on a MC Assassin for some extra shroud damage since you lose out on sneak attack damage. 

Then you don't get Snap Shot, which is a minor action attack. i.e. triple shooter with twin strike...
Check out a build called "The Battery" here on the boards. Its a half-orc archer ranger|warlord that I think looks kinda nifty.

Then you don't get Snap Shot, which is a minor action attack. i.e. triple shooter with twin strike...

True. I was tossing out alternative options. Not as optimal as the Snap shot/Rogue MC combo but just different. 

Could go the throw and stab maruader route and utilize the bumps to STR/DEX or if you wanted to work up on the front lines you could go for a Fighter|Ranger hybrid. Pump your Dex and Strength and go the stick and move multi-attack route. 
If you decide to go with an archer Ranger, MC fighter and take Battlefury Stance (since poaching snap shot with a bow/xbow doesn't work for half-orcs).
If you decide to go with an archer Ranger, MC fighter and take Battlefury Stance (since poaching snap shot with a bow/xbow doesn't work for half-orcs).

Snap shot requires a crossbow. You lose out on the ability to deal sneak attack damage with bow/xbow as a Half-orc only. Just carry a back up weapon for the times you really need that sneak damage.
You more experienced CharOp'ers are correct: I really wasn't seeing past Elf on the Shoot to Thrill build, but it really works just fine for Half-Orc. Now another question: which of these builds looks to you to be more fun to play in the group I originally posted (Half-Elf swordmage, Tiefling enchanter mage, Goliath rageblood barbarian, and Gnome cunning bard)? I realize fun is entirely subjective, of course. For one, I'm quite enamored of the Scout's stances, but I'm curious what others might choose. I'm presenting the Archer version first, followed by the Scout.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Archer Torika, level 4
Half-Orc, Ranger
Build: Archer Ranger
Fighting Style Option: Archer Fighting Style
Ranger Option: Prime Shot
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 21, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 22 Fort: 14 Ref: 18 Will: 14
HP: 48 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Heal +9, Nature +9, Perception +9, Stealth +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +4, History +2, Insight +4, Intimidate +3, Religion +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Noble Adept Feature: Adept's Insight
Half-Orc Racial Power: Furious Assault
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Ranger Attack 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Two-Fanged Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Sure Shot
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger Attack 3: Disruptive Strike

FEATS
Defensive Mobility
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Bow)
Level 4: Bow Expertise

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Frost Greatbow +1 x1
Shadow Hunter Hide Hide Armor +2 x1
Longsword
Arrows
====== End ======

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Optimized Torika, level 4
Half-Orc, Ranger (Scout)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Ambush Expertise (Ranger)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Mountain Guide (Ranger)
Two-Weapon Style Option: Flashing Blade Mastery
Level 4 Wilderness Knack Option: Wilderness Tracker (Ranger)
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Iron Wolf Warrior

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 12, DEX 19, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 12, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 8

AC: 21 Fort: 17 Ref: 17 Will: 13
HP: 46 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Heal +8, Nature +8, Perception +8, Stealth +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +5, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +4, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +3, Religion +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Iron Wolf Warrior Attack: Iron Wolf Charge
Half-Orc Racial Power: Furious Assault
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Charging Ram
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Lurking Spider
Ranger Attack: Dual Weapon Attack
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger Attack 3: Ruffling Sting

FEATS
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Light blade)
Level 4: Martial Cross-Training

ITEMS
Vanguard Rapier +1 x1
Marauder's Hide Armor +2 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Dagger x2
Javelin
====== End ======

I've played Shoot to Thrill through heroic tier, and really liked it.  Some people find it boring, but I enjoyed getting in an enemy's face and nuking it.  Disruptive Strike and Spitting Cobra Stance gave me something to do off-turn as well.

I've played Shoot to Thrill through heroic tier, and really liked it.  Some people find it boring, but I enjoyed getting in an enemy's face and nuking it.  Disruptive Strike and Spitting Cobra Stance gave me something to do off-turn as well.

I've also been playing Shoot to thrill for some time now and have grown really bored by it. I've gotten great use out of Disruptive strike but have gotten no milage out of Spitting cobra.
I will say though that the first few times you get to bust out a nova, even @8th level, and your DM watches his main baddy go from full to bloodied/near bloodied on round 1 well... lets just say "I get why people dig strikers."

As far as the scout i really have no comments. I built one but a friend wound up playing him and she butchered every single combat encounter and not in a good way.  
Melee Rangers=Way more exciting due to SUPAH AWESOME NOVA
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Sign In to post comments