8/16/2012 Sealed Deck Builder

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

This Deck was built in 0:05:28

Total Deck Size: 40 18 Lands --------------- 8 Mountain 9 Swamp 1 Evolving Wilds

12 Creatures --------------- 1 Bladetusk Boar 2 Fire Elemental 2 Liliana's Shade 2 Primal Clay 1 Rummaging Goblin 2 Servant of Nefarox 1 Tormented Soul 1 Vampire Nighthawk

10 Other Spells --------------- 2 Cower in Fear 1 Crippling Blight 1 Duress 1 Public Execution 1 Searing Spear 1 Sign in Blood 2 Staff of Nin 1 Wild Guess

8 Forest
9 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Arbor Elf
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Elvish Visionary
2 Primal Clay
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Spiked Baloth
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Vastwood Gorger
3 Yeva's Forcemage
1 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Mind Rot
1 Public Execution
1 Sign in Blood
2 Staff of Nin
1 Titanic Growth

I played a lot of cards I don't usually play in this deck.  I wanted to play double Staff of Nim  (which means 18 lands is a must IMHO)and I thought Green - Black was the best shell to do it with.  Dream curve is this:
T1 - Arbor Elf
T2 - Elvish Visionary + Crippling Blight
T3 - Ranger's Path
T4 - Staff

This Deck was built in 0:11:44

Total Deck Size: 40
18 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
10 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Liliana's Shade
1 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Spiked Baloth
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Veilborn Ghoul
1 Yeva's Forcemage

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Diabolic Revelation
1 Public Execution
1 Ranger's Path
2 Staff of Nin
1 Titanic Growth

Removal in the pool was poor.  Black has a few good removal spells, along with the Staff of Nim.  Red has one Searing Spear, Blue has one Void Stalker, and the less said about Encrust the better.  So I went all in on the big things B/G plan.  All the card draw allows you to play Veilborn Ghoul as a massive threat, since you'll often have the Swamp to bring him back.  Minor exalted subtheme especially boosts Nighthawk/Tormented Soul/Spiked Baloth in fun ways.  Once you get a few exalted creatures and a fatty online, bash, bash, bash.  Ping their little dudes and then the opponents face.  It's possible this deck wants another card or two, since self-milling is definitely a risk.  That's why I left the Sign in Blood in the board.  I like Diabolic Revelations in this deck cause I could see myself finding three swamps to ensure that Veilborn Ghoul keeps coming back.

Left some of the 'obvious' beaters in the board, like Vastwood Gorger, because I figured they'd be winmore.  I like the medium-sized beasties I have with an exalted pump or two.  If the matchup was bad against exalted (Fog Bank..), I'd swap Gorger in for Prowler.  Second Cower in Fear comes in versus exalted - I don't want two conditional sweepers maindecked.  Keep the Primal Clays ready because fliers are a problem for this deck.  I consider Servant of Nefarox a superior Yeva's Forcemage and five copies seemed too many.  Primadox shenanigans include Forcemage, Visionary, Beast Tracker and Shade.

This Deck was built in 0:03:58

18 Lands
---------------
8 Island
9 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Archaeomancer
1 Augur of Bolas
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Faerie Invaders
1 Kraken Hatchling
2 Liliana's Shade
2 Primal Clay
1 Scroll Thief
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Void Stalker

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Duress
1 Encrust
1 Mind Rot
1 Public Execution
1 Sleep
2 Staff of Nin
1 Switcheroo

The poor removal in this pool made want to play Blue-Black which has the most removal options. 

I agree with nikosison and played black/blue with a splash for red so I could get the most removal out of the pack. I do not even dislike the creature base, although the most weight lies on the nighthawk and the artifact creatures.

This Deck was built in 0:05:16

17 Lands
---------------
5 Island
1 Mountain
10 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Faerie Invaders
2 Liliana's Shade
2 Phyrexian Hulk
2 Primal Clay
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Void Stalker
1 Watercourser

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Encrust
1 Public Execution
1 Searing Spear
1 Sleep
2 Staff of Nin
1 Switcheroo

Black seemed like the strongest color, with the bombish Nighthawk, Public Execution, three good exalted creatures. It also had two Shades, which for a deck running two Staff of Nin seemed helpful.

I was in two minds about my second color but went with Green even though Blue had slightly more powerful spells. Green had four pump spells, a trampler, a creature that could search out the Nighthawk, and a mana accelerator. The synergy with the Shades and the Primadox also appealed. Green is also one of the best colors to get value out of Public Execution, since double blocking Green's stompy creatures is likely.

Because of running three 6-drops I did not run Evolving Wilds, which does dilute your later draws in favor of nonland.

This Deck was built in 0:12:58

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
10 Swamp

17 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Elvish Visionary
2 Liliana's Shade
1 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Spiked Baloth
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Veilborn Ghoul
3 Yeva's Forcemage

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Public Execution
2 Staff of Nin
1 Titanic Growth

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

This Deck was built in 0:10:25

Total Deck Size: 40 17 Lands --------------- 6 Plains 10 Swamp 1 Evolving Wilds

16 Creatures --------------- 1 Battleflight Eagle 1 Duskmantle Prowler 1 Griffin Protector 2 Guardians of Akrasa 2 Liliana's Shade 2 Primal Clay 1 Silvercoat Lion 1 Tormented Soul 1 Vampire Nighthawk 1 Veilborn Ghoul 1 War Falcon 1 Warclamp Mastiff 1 Zombie Goliath

7 Other Spells --------------- 2 Cower in Fear 1 Divine Verdict 1 Duress 2 Staff of Nin 1 Vile Rebirth

I was in two minds about my second color but went with Green even though Blue had slightly more powerful spells.

I think white is the better second colour.  It adds 3 more exalted cards to the deck (including Benediction, which is very strong in this deck), a removal spell, which is needed given the lack of removal in black, another evade creature for the exalted to hit off and two 2-drops to help stablise the early game.

This Deck was built in 0:04:59

17 Lands
---------------
8 Plains
8 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Griffin Protector
2 Guardians of Akrasa
2 Liliana's Shade
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Silvercoat Lion
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Veilborn Ghoul

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Benediction
1 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Divine Verdict
1 Public Execution
2 Show of Valor
1 Sign in Blood
2 Staff of Nin

This Deck was built in 0:04:31

18 Lands
---------------
18 Swamp

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Duskmantle Prowler
2 Liliana's Shade
1 Phyrexian Hulk
2 Primal Clay
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Zombie Goliath

10 Other Spells
---------------
2 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Diabolic Revelation
1 Mind Rot
1 Public Execution
1 Sign in Blood
2 Staff of Nin
1 Vile Rebirth

So much removal, times are good 

I went Green & Black.  Although I do have the 2 staff of Nims in here I really don't think they will help much.  I think my Real game winners will be other things like the Forcemages bouncing and pumping evaders or tramplers or the Shades. 

This Deck was built in 0:05:27

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
9 Swamp

17 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Elvish Visionary
2 Liliana's Shade
1 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
1 Primal Clay
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Spiked Baloth
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Veilborn Ghoul
3 Yeva's Forcemage

6 Other Spells
---------------
1 Duress
1 Public Execution
2 Staff of Nin
1 Titanic Growth
1 Vile Rebirth

There are a lot of ways to go here.  All of which include 2x Staff of Nin.  Here is my take.

This Deck was built in 0:02:00

17 Lands
---------------
7 Island
9 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Archaeomancer
1 Augur of Bolas
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Faerie Invaders
2 Liliana's Shade
2 Primal Clay
1 Scroll Thief
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Void Stalker
1 Watercourser

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Crippling Blight
1 Encrust
1 Public Execution
1 Sign in Blood
1 Sleep
2 Staff of Nin
1 Switcheroo

I eschewed the exalted cards for a more controlling B/U approach.

This Deck was built in 0:15:42

17 Lands
---------------
6 Island
10 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Augur of Bolas
1 Faerie Invaders
1 Kraken Hatchling
2 Liliana's Shade
1 Phyrexian Hulk
2 Primal Clay
1 Scroll Thief
1 Servant of Nefarox
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Veilborn Ghoul
1 Void Stalker
1 Watercourser

8 Other Spells
---------------
2 Cower in Fear
1 Encrust
1 Negate
1 Public Execution
2 Staff of Nin
1 Switcheroo

I looked at a W/B evasive exalted build and it looks promising until you realize you don't have any plays until turn 3...

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

This Deck was built in 0:13:08

Total Deck Size: 41
20 Lands
---------------
3 Forest
4 Island
3 Mountain
6 Plains
3 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Ajani's Sunstriker
1 Arbor Elf
1 Bladetusk Boar
1 Duskmantle Prowler
2 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Mogg Flunkies
1 Primal Huntbeast
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Warclamp Mastiff
2 Yeva's Forcemage

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Benediction
1 Crippling Blight
1 Door to Nothingness
2 Index
1 Searing Spear
1 Switcheroo
1 Tricks of the Trade

just for the fun of it, playing with Door to Nothingness it has a little of everything in it and a slight exalted theme going on .

I love the staff of Nin late game but you have to get there and its possible to just close it out before ever getting Staff online with tormented soul plus forcemages. Primadox lets you do it every turn even.

This Deck was built in 0:06:57

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
9 Swamp

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Elvish Visionary
2 Liliana's Shade
2 Primal Clay
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Yeva's Forcemage

9 Other Spells
---------------
2 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Public Execution
1 Ranger's Path
1 Sign in Blood
2 Staff of Nin
1 Titanic Growth

This Deck was built in 0:06:09

Total Deck Size: 40 18 Lands --------------- 3 Island 5 Plains 9 Swamp 1 Evolving Wilds

13 Creatures --------------- 1 Battleflight Eagle 1 Duskmantle Prowler 1 Faerie Invaders 1 Griffin Protector 2 Guardians of Akrasa 1 Scroll Thief 2 Servant of Nefarox 1 Silvercoat Lion 1 Tormented Soul 1 Vampire Nighthawk 1 Void Stalker

9 Other Spells --------------- 1 Angelic Benediction 2 Cower in Fear 1 Divine Verdict 1 Public Execution 2 Staff of Nin 1 Switcheroo 1 Tricks of the Trade

I opted for the splash into blue to give a couple more things to do late game that actually mattered, the extra removal or Void Stalker, and the pump spell for xalted fun.   

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Returning sleep to my hand every turn seems fun

This Deck was built in 0:13:50

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
8 Island
1 Evolving Wilds

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Archaeomancer
1 Augur of Bolas
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Faerie Invaders
1 Kraken Hatchling
1 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
1 Scroll Thief
1 Spiked Baloth
1 Vastwood Gorger
1 Void Stalker
2 Yeva's Forcemage

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Encrust
2 Index
1 Ranger's Path
1 Sleep
1 Staff of Nin
1 Switcheroo
1 Tricks of the Trade

This Deck was built in 0:06:44

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
10 Swamp

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Spiked Baloth
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Yeva's Forcemage
2 Zombie Goliath

7 Other Spells
---------------
2 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Sign in Blood
2 Staff of Nin
1 Titanic Growth

green black was easily the best. the 3 forcemages mixed with the primadox makes green a easy pick while the nighthawk and the servants made me choose black as my second colour. the double staffs just add to the merriment 

This Deck was built in 0:04:45

17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
9 Swamp

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Augur of Bolas
1 Faerie Invaders
1 Kraken Hatchling
2 Phyrexian Hulk
2 Primal Clay
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Void Stalker

13 Other Spells
---------------
2 Cower in Fear
1 Diabolic Revelation
1 Duress
1 Encrust
2 Index
1 Mind Rot
1 Sign in Blood
1 Sleep
2 Staff of Nin
1 Switcheroo

Current Decks Standard: Red Deck Wins Old Decks Standard: Get Er' Dungrove Top 8's: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1062537 http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=47431 IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)

My god the rares were jank! To open this would really irk me. Oh, well the staff of nin was okay, so we are probably choosing whatever color helps us get to them. So here is black-green:

Lands 17:
8 Swamps
8 Forests
1 Evolving Wilds

Creatures 14:
2 Servant of Nefarox-some exalted is always appreciated
1 Vampire Nighthawk-such a bomb, and with so much pumping going around, he is going to be doing real damage
2 Liliana's shade-nice as a mana fetcher and works rather well with primadox
1 Arbor elf-a good ramp piece that can lead to explosive draws, like turn two beast tracker into turn three rangers path into huge plays
1 Elvish visionary-With primadox, its a steady stream of card advantage
1 Mwonvuli Beast tracker-primadox combo, and finds a lot of our creatures
3 Yeva's Forcemage-not my favorite elf, but a good pump that becomes reusable with primadox
1 Primal Huntbeast-a reasonable body that can be fetched and pumped without the risk that it will be killed in response
1 Roaring Primadox-some nice shenanigans on a reasonable body
1 Spiked Baloth-trample is useful with pumps and exalted

Other 9:
2 Staff of Nin-our rares, they are actually pretty good
1 Crippling blight-some removal or a way to neuter a threat
1 Vile rebirth-its a one mana 2/2
2 Cower in fear-mostly a combat trick, but occasionally mass removal
1 Titanic Growth-pump is nice
1 Sign in blood-can be card draw or reach
1 Rangers path-we want lots of mana

Overall Im not happy with this pool or deck.

This was a bit different, no bomb rares, although the double Staff of Nin is very nice.

White/Black Exhaulted is always a good choice.  Red is very thin and only 1 burn spell, Blue has the very nice Void Stalker but really not much disruption like you would hope to see, Green has some some nice tools to make use of Roaring Primadox and some excellerations.  White has only 1 removal spell which seems disappointing given how many we often see, and not much internal synergy and the 3 exhaulted cards are all non-attackers (2 defenders and an enchantment) which is nice for keeping them around, but I prefer those I can attack with too.  Black has one removal and two weenie board sweepers which I am finding more and more useful as I play it more.  Black also has my favorite non-god card in the set Vampire Nighthawk.  I find myself trying to find excuses to play black when I open one in a sealed set-up.

So because of double Staff of Nin with their 6 cc and Vampire Nighthawk I chose B/G.  Green gives me the acceleration to get to my staff's faster and Black I felt was the overall best color in this group.

This Deck was built in 0:09:43

18 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
10 Swamp

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Elvish Visionary
2 Liliana's Shade --- allows 4 lands to get me to 5
1 Primal Huntbeast --- Hard to deal with when you have ways to pump him.
1 Roaring Primadox
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Spiked Baloth --- When I use pumps I want to use on trampler, so even when blocked he hits opponent
1 Tormented Soul  --- Feeds off exhaulted and 3 Yeva's Forcemage to make fast clock
1 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Yeva's Forcemage

7 Other Spells
---------------
2 Cower in Fear
1 Public Execution
1 Ranger's Path --- allows 4 lands to get me to 6 (see staff)
2 Staff of Nin
1 Titanic Growth

Only the Staff's and Public Execution have higher than 4 cc, so deck should run pretty smoothly.  Also most cards will interact with each other to create board/card adavantage opportunities.  I would like a little more opponenet interaction type cards, but there just wasn't that many options in this grouping.  So mostly just a beater deck with a few tricks.

After looking through some cards I tried a white/green deck, but there seemed little interplay. White seemed a bit underwhelming for me. So I looked for some interplay elsewhere and I decided on green/blue when I saw Roaring Primadox and Archaeomancer. The difficulty ended up being what to add and how to keep the mana curve relatively smooth. There was the temptation to add a Staff of Nin (or both), but in the end I opted against it. I really don't like the idea of many cards in small numbers although I suppose you could look for cards which are alike to offset that a bit.

This Deck was built in 0:39:43

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
8 Island
1 Evolving Wilds

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Archaeomancer
1 Augur of Bolas
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Kraken Hatchling
1 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
1 Scroll Thief
1 Void Stalker
1 Watercourser
3 Yeva's Forcemage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Encrust
2 Index
1 Naturalize
1 Negate
1 Sleep
1 Switcheroo
1 Titanic Growth
1 Tricks of the Trade

This Deck was built in 0:38:19

17 Lands
---------------
3 Forest
4 Plains
10 Swamp

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Duskmantle Prowler
1 Elvish Visionary
2 Guardians of Akrasa
1 Roaring Primadox
2 Servant of Nefarox
1 Spiked Baloth
1 Tormented Soul
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Veilborn Ghoul
1 War Falcon
1 Yeva's Forcemage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Benediction
2 Cower in Fear
1 Crippling Blight
1 Duress
1 Sign in Blood
2 Staff of Nin
1 Vile Rebirth

This deck is sort of like B/g/w Potpourri; a bit of removal/control, a bit of direct damage near the end, some exalted for the fliers, AND the Primadox to hopefully gain cards or boost my guys for EXTRA DAMAGE!!!!!
This Deck was built in 0:08:50

17 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
7 Island
4 Plains
1 Evolving Wilds

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Arbor Elf
1 Archaeomancer
1 Augur of Bolas
1 Battleflight Eagle
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Kraken Hatchling
1 Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Roaring Primadox
1 Spiked Baloth
1 Void Stalker
1 War Falcon
1 Warclamp Mastiff
1 Yeva's Forcemage

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Angelic Benediction
1 Divine Verdict
1 Encrust
1 Negate
2 Show of Valor
1 Sleep
1 Switcheroo
1 Tricks of the Trade

Take 2!  U/w/g--taking bettererer advantage of the Primadox (hopefully).
Sign In to post comments