8/15/2012 UR: "The Stonekiller, Part 2"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Nice. Twist.
Nice. Twist.

Agreed. That was pretty cool.

I know the whole column probably shouldn't be devoted to this sort of thing, but... more stories about legendary creatures please! There's so many characters out there that we know little to nothing about! Some planeswalkers definitely fit into this category too.

Anyway, I love this column. Great work, Jenna! 

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Wow... That was...Just... Amazing. 

Best article I've ever read on here. I was wondering if I would be keeping up with this or not, but I'm absolutely going to read every one now.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how the story in Ravnica unfolds once RTR spoilers start.

Anyway, fun article, totally unexpected plot-twist, and also pretty sad too.  

Show
I actually figured Kaalia would turn out to be from Innistrad if it was ever revealed

Keep up the good workWink
Pretty cool, but I couldn't help but notice that it doesn't quite match up with Kaalia's previous backstory.
blah blah metal lyrics
Pretty cool, but I couldn't help but notice that it doesn't quite match up with Kaalia's previous backstory.

That's really unfortunate. Probably inevitable, given the amount of material that's been written in blurbs like that (or even just in flavor text) that this column would contradict something eventually, but I hope they have some kind of system in place to try and catch most of this type of thing.

That said, I really like the format of this column in general, and this was quite a good story.

I just hope that, some time, she gets around to Ob Nixilis, the Fallen. He is absolutely the number one legendary creature I want to know more about.
Rules Nut Advisor

I think you can reconcile this difference with the assumption that Doug Beyer's blurb was Kaalia's legend, while "The Stonekiller" is the more accurate tale behind the legend.

King Arthur may or may not have been an actual Welsh king at some point, but it's doubtful that his rule was decided by a sword in a stone (maybe HE was a stonekiller too!), or that he was constantly fighting giants and sending knights on quests to find holy relics. Kaalia's legend, on the other hand, isn't too far from the truth, as long as you tweak a detail here and there. It's just that whoever decided to tell their children the bedtime tale of the legendary Kaalia of the Vast decided to age her and swap out her village for a congregation, probably to make the story a little less terrifying for the kids, or something, while still being a cautionary tale about shadowy creatures.

Anyway, onto a completely unrelated point: I love Uncharted Realms so much. Jenna Helland is the best there is at this writing thing!

It actually really bothered me that this turned out to be a Kaalia that didn't mesh with the original backstory about her. While I accept some discontinuity when there's novels to reference or when there's information in a ten year old writer's bible that nobody's quite remembering, Kaalia's history came with Kaalia in the packaging, it was only last year, and it was literally the only thing on Kaalia before this.

I find Uncharted Realms very enjoyable, and it's quickly become one of my favorite articles here, but please, in the future, please double check for previous information on characters before you give them a wholly new story.

That said, is it safe to assume a Yeva story is coming soon, now that the other 4 have been written about? 
The payoff for this was awesome.  I was a little deterred when the Part 1 ended on an odd, seemingly unrelated note, but the reveal in Part 2 was fantastic.
There's no overwrite yet, you guys assume too much. In this story, Kaalia is a child. On the packaging, Kaalia is a woman. We have no information about the gap of these two characters by dozens of years.

You guys are acting like The Lord of the Rings retconned The Hobbit.
I think we should have had info on how a stonekiller becomes an agent of angels, demons, dragons, or their master.
why is Kaalia climbing and falling off of stuff? can't see fly, or am I missing something here?
why is Kaalia climbing and falling off of stuff? can't see fly, or am I missing something here?

This is pre-legendary Kaalia, when she was just a child. Then again, maybe you were being sarcastic and I just pointed out the obvious for no reason? Internet subtleties are hard.

Show
I think we can assume from the last two lines of the story that she will find her ability to fly and summon angels, demons, and dragons to her side somewhere out there in the "vast wilderness." Her story has only just started!

There's no overwrite yet, you guys assume too much. In this story, Kaalia is a child. On the packaging, Kaalia is a woman. We have no information about the gap of these two characters by dozens of years.

You guys are acting like The Lord of the Rings retconned The Hobbit.

Exactly! This is pre-Legendary Kaalia! She has a lot of ground to cover before she gets her legendary status. As for her previous backstory: as I said before, legends are rarely accurate. I see no problem reconciling the two stories together. If nothing else, "Stonekiller" should definitely be seen as the canon story now, considering all the detail and awesome.
I think we should have had info on how a stonekiller becomes an agent of angels, demons, dragons, or their master.

Maybe by disrupting the ritual she got some of the intended effect?  She did destroy a Dragon keystone in a Demon's ceremony, and she's originally from Bant (angels).  Just a possibility, but it may have given her some power she isn't yet aware of at the end of the story.
Great read.  Thanks for posting!  More appreciated.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
I love how Lia the Stonekiller is from Bant [manacost]UWG[/manacost], but the legend she became is aligned with Bant's antithesis colors—[manacost]BR[/manacost]. She clearly changed a lot. There's no reason the event in the packaging blurb couldn't still happen.

I've been reading this website almost daily since Mirrodin-block, and this is the best column there has been in all that time. Keep up the good work.  
I actually do have one complaint about this story. The sudden name change to Kaalia made her hard to associate with the little girl, "lia" who I had been reading about for the previous article and a half. It would have been better to only have Nira refer to her as Kaalia, and would have felt less forced. At least those are my thoughts.
Sign In to post comments