Complete beginner.

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there, I don't know exactly where I'm supposed to post this so I thought here should do. I am thinking of getting into DnD. I have bought the latest red box starter set, and really enjoyed creating characters with me and my friends. However, before I invest any more into 4e, I want to make sure that the next edition that is currently being play tested will not be released within the year or so. How likely is this? should I wait before buying player handbooks, DM handbooks etc? Any advice would be fantastic. I'm new to rpgs which is why I didnt hesitate in buying the red box. 
Thanks for any advice.

bchatzis 
its up to you. the new edition is completely different from 4e, so if you like 4e, you can stick with it and buy the books very cheap. most people seem to agree that next years gencon will likely be the 5e release, so it could be out in a year. personally, i wouldnt want to wait that long, but if it matters to you, you could hold off. just keep in mind, a lot of people (myself included) still play versions from the 70s, so just play what you like 
Ok Great. Well i will stick with 4e for now till I get to grips with it, and see what happens with 5e if I get it or not. Thanks for your advice
I would go ahead and by everything that you can find right now. When 5e comes out, you could buy the set and maybe combine the two? is that legal?
I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
So what do you guys recommend I get to add to the red box for 4e? Thanks for your answers
Depends on the style of the classes you like.  Essentials has (for the most part) easier to build and play classes.  Apparently they have more of a "retro" feel.  They're also at a pretty decent price point.  The core book (AEDU) classes can provide a bit more complexity.  They're both compatible.  I like them both.  YMMV.

Maybe get a month of Insider and check it all out to see what you want. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Ok, should I not bother with the players handbook and dm guide just yet then?
Ok, should I not bother with the players handbook and dm guide just yet then?

as you are starting to wear out the red box, have the dm buy the dm kit. it has an adventure in it with tokens, like the red box. by that time you will need to convert the red box pcs over; notes on that are at the bottom of this page in doc format

wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...

once you have the dm kit and a players book, your dms next purchase should likely be the monster vault; it again has another adventure. from there there are a lot of options, and you can just go with what interests you

you will likely want lots of tiles and map packs, but be warned: they are heavily addictive.

Haha ok great, so at the moment I don't need to purchase the core rules, players or dm handbook? That's great. As the dm il grab the essential dm kit, and see what's what from there. Thanks
You can also download most of the PHB classes for free in PDF since WOTC republished rewritten versions of those that anyone can get.

Here is the cleric for instance. 
Hi, so just to confirm, the DM kit with Reavers of Harkenwold? or is there some other DM kit that I should be looking for? 
Hi, so just to confirm, the DM kit with Reavers of Harkenwold? or is there some other DM kit that I should be looking for? 

yeah.  I believe its an adventure for levels 1-3.  Monster Vault has Cairn of the Winter King or something, that's a level 4.  Should get you going.

So red box, DM kit, Monster Vault in that order? perfect. Should I bother with the rules compendium? or do I have enough there to get everyone happily through monster vault story?
Rules Compendium is really good.  I'd encourage everyone in your group to have one.  And again, I would suggest at least trying DDi for a month.  You can download a crapton of adventures, and play with the character builder to see what else you might want to pick up.

sorry, whats DDI?
D&D Insider
Wizard's first rule: People are stupid.
ah ok, great thanks. Do you think its worth getting now? or after i have ran a couple of sessions?
So red box, DM kit, Monster Vault in that order? perfect. Should I bother with the rules compendium? or do I have enough there to get everyone happily through monster vault story?

the rules compendium is a great product, no doubt about it. i own it and love it. however, there is so much overlap with the red box and dm kit that i personally feel you could wait a while to get it, especially as you are just getting going. you can easily overwhelm yourself, as well as spend a small fortune, so i am trying to give you the simplest way

ah ok, great thanks. Do you think its worth getting now? or after i have ran a couple of sessions?

my personal opinion is to wait. ddi has a lot of good things, you could subscribe for a month and download all the mags for example. but if you just want to learn to play in a straightforward manner, i stand by my original advice. once you guys gets going and have played several levels, there are literally dozens of great 4e products you could buy.
Ok, well that's sounds like some great advice there. Thank you very much!
one question, Should the players get the players handbook? or should they not bother just yet?
one question, Should the players get the players handbook? or should they not bother just yet?

Yes. Players should get the Player's Handbook. It's a great reference for them, and it helps them make characters. I would also recommend that they get a set of dice. It'll keep things orderly. You don't want multiple people using one set of dice. The dice could end up lost.
I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

no. as it tried to explain, as you are starting with the red box, those player characters are not compatible with the original phb. the link i provided for the faq about the red box provides a conversion document for your players post-3rd level. the players book they will use after 3rd level is 'heroes of the fallen lands'; that is, unless they just want to dump their pcs and start completely over

Yes. Players should get the Player's Handbook. It's a great reference for them, and it helps them make characters..

you should probably read the whole thread, that way you would have noticed they are using the red box; pcs from the red box convert to essentials, not the phb.

ok, that makes sense about it not being compatible, I was just wondering if there were any other extra bits in it that would be useful to the players. We reach 3rd level and are done, you said that we should do heroes of the fallen lands or dump our pcs. Is there any way to get into normal dnd from essentials? or should we do essentials and then convert? Sorry if Im being thick, I dont quite get it
ok, that makes sense about it not being compatible, I was just wondering if there were any other extra bits in it that would be useful to the players. We reach 3rd level and are done, you said that we should do heroes of the fallen lands or dump our pcs. Is there any way to get into normal dnd from essentials? or should we do essentials and then convert? Sorry if Im being thick, I dont quite get it

its all 4e dnd; essentials is 4e dnd. its just there are like 30+ classes for 4e dnd, all in different books. the book that best matches your players characters is the heroes of the fallen lands, which is basically just like another players handbook. if you were tired of the classes you are playing after 3 levels, you could start with a heores book, or the phb, or whatever you like. if you want to keep them going though, use the conversion document at the bottom of the link link i gave you, and use the heores of the fallen lands "phb"

if you want your players to have some phb-like info, without having to buy anything, give them a link to the free quick start rules (below). some of the wording has been changed over time; if anything contradicts the red box or dm kit, use the rule in the red box or dm kit.

www.wizards.com/dnd/files/QuickStartRule...

Thank you so much. That should be all then for questions, you've been stars!
Some people like essentials.
Some HATE essentials.

I belong to the latter group. My advice would be to get the PH1 & maybe 2, and the Divine Power, Martial Power (1 and 2) AND Arcane power books. You might also want to get the Adventurer's Vault 1&2 for fun magic items. Oh, the DMG is sometimes helpful.
Sign In to post comments