D&D Article Break

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to give everyone a heads up. With GenCon this week, we have a small break in the scheduled articles. We've posted up this week Legends & Lore, but all other columns are on hiatus while we focus on GenCon. Next week, Wandering Monsters will take the Monday slot, for that week only. Legends & Lore is scheduled for Tuesday, for that week only. Thereafter, the columns resume their normal scheduling. Other information can be found on the D&D Next calendar at dndnext.com.
Trevor Kidd Community Manager
Great, so we'll be seing some of those uber-crunchy Dungeon and Dragon articles in the meantime, right?

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

No, huh?

You guys seemto be on hiatus till the last few days of each month anyways these days.
Yeah, it's pretty ****ing irritating.  I'd rather they just give me my 4e content and let me be.  I don't give a **** about Next, webcomics, book reviews, aggregated links, or random tables devised by some dude on the internet.

But, Crossword Puzzles!

(seriously, the fact that my money is going to pay for some guy to make crossword puzzles instead of paying good authors to write articles is rather insulting)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
But, Crossword Puzzles!

(seriously, the fact that my money is going to pay for some guy to make crossword puzzles instead of paying good authors to write articles is rather insulting)

Note my lack of a Dragon-head symbol.  I stopped paying for the crossworld puzzles.

But, hey!  At least they bothered to mention it instead of just stopping the articles and waiting until people started complaining on the forums about the lack of articles.  Then it would have just sounded like a cop-out.  What am I saying?  It sounds like a cop-out now....

Oh well.  You know, it's not like Gen Con just kind of springs up suddenly.  It's know months in advance that it's coming.  How hard would it have been for them to queue up some articles for the magazines for this week of preparation?  You know, like something with Runepriest support or something...?
But undrhill, nobody plays the runepriest.  What we really need is another wizard build.  Maybe some more cleric at wills too.  And something to make half-elfs decent.

(And my dragon symbol hasn't disappeared, but I did set it to not resubscribe a few weeks ago)
But, Crossword Puzzles!

Those aren't crossword puzzles. When your puzzle has no adjacent words and only "cross here because there is a single shared letter" it is not  a crossword puzzle. These are simply fill in the blank quizzes combined with word searches without the extra letters.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I wanted to give everyone a heads up. With GenCon this week, we have a small break in the scheduled articles.

How can we tell the difference?

Sorry for the snark, but the article content - apart from one or two nice ones like the Seeker article - has been almost uniformly poor, absent, and/or mechanics-free for several months now.  I understand you guys are working on a new edition, and while I'm mostly paying for DDI for the tools, I'm extremely disappointed in Dragon/Dungeon these days.

-O 
Edit: Content removed because I'm a grumpy jerk today.
And just after I complain, you give me a modron article.

Well played, Trevor.  Well played, indeed.

-O 
I miss the crunchy bits.  Dragon these days is mostly just soggy bran flakes.  For ideas, here's a list of races that still lack racial utilities:

Bladeling
Changeling
Deva
Genasi
Githzerai
Gnoll
Gnome
Goliath
Hengeyokai
Kalashtar
Minotaur
Mul
Revenant
Shadar-kai
Shardmind
Shifter
Warforged
Wilden

Not that all of those really need racial utilities (bladeling, shardmind), but I bought my subscription back when there were Class Acts and Winning Races articles in every issue.  Just sayin'.
Remember when they did this around the time Essentials was being worked on?

Remember when this happened when they were switching over from the old chargen to the new one?

There's been a general paring down of products for the past year to make up for poor business decisions by Hasbro/WotC, as well as a price increase. If not for a game I play, I would have never resubscribed. I will be discussing with my group what we will do going forward.

That's Six people who may cancel their DDI subs. One of them is about to re-up for the year.

To speak this in the language Wizards can understand: We're about to stop giving you money for not giving us product. Please reconsider your position on this. Instead of focusing entirely on NEXT, remember that you STILL have a customer base for 4e. You've forgotten this in the past, and have paid for it by ostricizing your user base, and it looks like you'll be doing it again.

Part of being a company is understanding that you sometimes need to invest time and money into the work you do. Choosing to take people from internally means that the company is unwilling or unable to support the product with profits. Either they are greedy, or are afraid that the new edition will not be well received. Given that we are now lacking a Wizards-supported Virtual Table...

We're right back to where we were a few years ago..

Each time you do this, you permenantly lose business. 
Hey WotC, I will PAY YOU if you let me WRITE AN ARTICLE FOR YOU and publish it. Seriously.

I recently got a rejection on a submission because they had so many submissions 'we can afford to be picky' (Chris Perkin's words). Now there are a shortage of articles.

I think a lot of people would actually pay WotC to write articles. This could be a new revenue stream for them.

Honestly, you could get people to write a bunch of non-overpowered crunch to fix the holes classes have for free.

Battlemind and avenger could get decent MBAs like we were promised when Wotc nerfed melee training.

Watch this:
Feat: Primal Defense, prerequisite companion spirit class feature.  You may use your constitution modifier in place of your dexterity or intelligence modifier to determine your AC while in light armor.  In addition whenever you make a nature check you may roll twice and chose the higher result.

Took about one minute to fix something that has been broken since PHB2 that doesn't really fell that much like a feat tax and that Wotc has never bothered to fix.
But then the material wouldn't go through the rigourous playtesting WotC requires of all their material :D
Honestly, you could get people to write a bunch of non-overpowered crunch to fix the holes classes have for free.

Battlemind and avenger could get decent MBAs like we were promised when Wotc nerfed melee training.

Watch this:
Feat: Primal Defense, prerequisite companion spirit class feature.  You may use your constitution modifier in place of your dexterity or intelligence modifier to determine your AC while in light armor.  In addition whenever you make a nature check you may roll twice and chose the higher result.

Took about one minute to fix something that has been broken since PHB2 that doesn't really fell that much like a feat tax and that Wotc has never bothered to fix.

Stolen, added to houserules.

And just after I complain, you give me a modron article.

Well played, Trevor.  Well played, indeed.

-O 

Yeah I was surprised too. Maybe its just a downtime  from the D&D next crap.

Also I find it hilarious when Wotc is saying "they can afford to be piccky" when like a year of dragon fit in lik a month or two of Dragon just a few years ago.
Way too many questions right now (and not enough answers) for me to plunk down $70.

I feel like DDI is run as a sideline rather than a full-fledged endeavor.  The constant drop-off in articles shows that I think.  So does the lack of news or information in the face of a potential two-year edition change.

I was a loyal and longtime reader of Dragon Magazine; issue after issue, for decades, never missed a issue in all that time.  I've even been a subscriber to DDI since day one (and I much preferred the print mags).  

For the first time in a very, very long time, I just don't feel like I would be getting my money's worth.  If there's something I really, really like, I'll buy a single month sub (and DL all that I can in that time); otherwise, I'm out.
/\ Art