Avengers of Ioun

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
So in our latest campaign I'm playing an avenger of Ioun, but I'm having trouble with a few character points and was hoping someone out there might be able to offer a few ideas.

How do you think an avenger of Ioun would react to spies? Clearly they don't like secrets and spies deal in secrets, but they also find out what people want to keep hidden. Do you think it would come down to the intention, or the reasoning behind keeping those secrets, or would an avenger not really care too much about those finer details?
Similarly, is there any knowledge that shouldn't be shared? What if it could destroy millions of lives? I suppose that boils down to intent, that knowledge isn't good or evil in itself. But how could an avenger of Ioun deal with a situation like that, where they came across a book or a ritual or something that had that kind of power? I can't see them destroying it, but I also can't see them leaving it around. Ship it off to Kerith-Ald or something?

Those are some of the things I've having trouble sorting out, and while it's fun to work out how my character might respond to them, it's also doing my head in so a little help would be appreciatedĀ Smile
I don't think Ioun has anything against secrets per se. But the ultimate goal always has to be to advance the sum total of human* knowledge, to uncover the truth and destroy lies. So going undercover as a spy in order to expose a ruler who came to power through deception (e.g. he's not the true heir, or he assassinated the previous ruler) should be perfectly acceptable for an avenger of Ioun. As would masquerading as a member of an occult sect in order to discover their secrets and share them with the world.

A devout follower of Ioun, confronted with knowledge that had enormous capacity for harm would, I think, still be obliged to make that knowledge public. But it would not have to be done right away, with no preparation and no attempt to mitigate the possible harm. Of all the gods, I think Ioun is the most likely to understand the virtues of patience and moderation, even (or perhaps especially) while upholding her teachings, and to favour the "take a third option" approach to difficult ethical/moral problems. So the avenger who just discovered a tome full of 'forbidden' lore would look for ways in which disseminating that knowledge would do more good than harm.

Real-world example time. Mein Kampf is perhaps the closest thing in our world to a truly 'evil' book. The 'philosophy' it contains could potentially encourage the commission of acts more monstrous even than those its author ordered. A lot of people would say "Ban it!" but a follower of Ioun would see that, so long as the book is read with a full understanding of the kind of man the author was and the evils he and his kind perpetrated, the book acts not as an encouragement to do evil, but as a warning from history of just how dangerous the sorts of ideas and ways of thought espoused in the book can be. Therefore, making the book (in its proper historical context) as widely available as possible is actually far less harmful than attempting to keep people from reading it (which simply makes it seem exotic and therefore attractive to some).

* - I'm using this term in its loosest sense, to include elves, dwarves, etc. It's just a shorthand way of writing 'sapient creatures'.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."