Pongo's Nemesis

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, after the discussion yesterday/today about this design:
Show

Pongo by the Thousands
Legendary Creature - Ape Wizard
Pongo by the Thousands is Green.
: Target creature becomes a copy of Pongo by the Thousands, except it has: "The 'legend rule' doesn't apply."

"As your leader, I promise there will be no limitations to the size of the bananas that are available to you, my ape brethren!"  - Pongo, Inaugurational Speech

3/3

I got to thinking. I wrote a little summary of possible events leading to Pongo's current state. Two Blue mages duking it out for no specified reason, though I'm sure I could find one. Anyway, the first turns Pongo into an Ape. He smugly walks away - thinking he has won. Pongo is crushed but eventually learns to function in his new form. So the Block that I probably won't design isn't one long arc over three sets - Instead it is Five "Short Stories" if you will. Each one about two Creatures of the same color in conflict. The first is Blue vs. Blue. Here is Pongo's Nemesis:

Monstrum, Tamer of Beasts
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever you counter a spell choose one — Target creature becomes a 3/3 green Ape; or target creature becomes a 5/1 red Elemental; or target creature becomes a 0/8 white Wall and gains Defender.

"They say 'Change is scary' - and I'll let you in on a little secret; they're right."

2/4

Thoughts?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I like it. 4 toughness makes him a little harder to get rid of than I'm comfortable with, but that's what you get for 5 mana. The three creatures are all useful, but probably not as useful as whatever they transformed from. He also has a ton of utility in shaping your own board.

The flavor is great, as it adds insult to injury with counterspells -- but it also makes it more fun to play against because it signals to your opponent that he should expect them. There's nothing more offputting to me than a completely unexpected counterspell.

You might want to add "and loses all (other) abilities" to each of the creatures so that Monstrum can actually deal with threats
Play with taraland to make sure you always get creatures.
This has massive memory issues.  When everything is completely changed up, it'll be very hard remembering what every single one is.
\o/
You might want to add "and loses all (other) abilities" to each of the creatures so that Monstrum can actually deal with threats

Thanks a bunch. Glad you like it. I wonder though. I kinda like that he only changes the form of creatures. He can deal with, say, Lorthos, but not something like Fauna Shaman, because FS is a utility creature. What I like is that he can't change the actual creature, only its form. Do you think he isn't powerful enough as is?

This has massive memory issues.

I'm okay with that. It seems like people can just seperate their creatures into 3 sections. Plus, if your running an all counter deck, how many creatures are going to be on the field? And why would you switch it up so much? If your running pingers, you're going to go with the 5/1's (for opponent) - If you're running Combo, or certain control strategies, you're going to make your enemies into Walls - and if neither of those work, than at least the 3/3, is boltable. For your own creatures, I think it will go pretty much the same. Walls stop Aggro. 3/3's are better than 1/1 tokens. And 5/1's if your opponent doesn't have blockers, or if you have evasion.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
This has massive memory issues.

I'm okay with that. It seems like people can just seperate their creatures into 3 sections. Plus, if your running an all counter deck, how many creatures are going to be on the field?

EDH game.
This guy as your commander.
You're using a counter deck (obviously).  People are also playing other things (maybe one person has soulbond).  This creates a HUGE mess of the play table, even moreso than EDH normally does.  From that, you divide things up even further, and the countering may have been done 10 turns ago, but that one random creature is still there transformed, even after your commander has been gone for 3 of them.

Side stepping small memory issues is one thing.

Side stepping massive ones is another. 

This is the latter.
\o/
If you built Monstrum EDH, you'd best have brought some tokens with you, to place under the transformed creatures. Or at least some glass beads.

Memory issues are a serious concern, but I don't think that it should completely halt the creation of this type of card. I can't think of a way to implement this effect that would alleviate the memory issue. Anyone have any ideas?