Feedback on M13 Prerelease

24 posts / 0 new
Last post

The recent Magic 2013 Prerelease featured reduced entry requirements, and I wanted to get some of your feedback on that. Do you think the reduced requirement affected the way you played during the event? While we’re at it, is there anything else you would like to share about the M13 prerelease events?

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Reduced entry is, of course, good.  Even bigger reductions would, of course, be better.

The problem I have with prereleases is the prizes.  For a budget-concious player, it's just a bad idea.  Ignoring the fact that M13 cards are (and have been) very horrible as far as individual card prices go (which you obviously can't control), prereleases cost more money for less prizes then release events, which happen less then a week after.  The promos are basically worthless, theres really nothing that sets them apart (except for costing more money).  I have zero reason to play a prerelease online, since I can just wait a couple of days and play a much better tournament.  And since online events come a month after paper events if I REALLY wanted to play with the cards, I can just go to FNM.
I don't think the reduced entry affected me that much. These events last for such a short period of time (<3 days?) that finding free time to play is what limits me, not the cost.

On a related note, I've played in more Swiss Sealed Release events this time around than I have in a very long time. Not sure why that is...
I am incredibly appreciative of the reduced price but unfortunately I only had time to play in one event. But I would have played in more if I had the time. The best part was I didn't feel like I just gotten ripped off afterwards despite my 2-2 record.

I have taken off for the RTR PreRelease and depending on what the Guild Cards are and if you only charge 25 tickets I intend to play 5 (one each guild). If you charge 30 tickets I will limit myself to one. (Izzzzzet!!!)

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

Just thought of something else....

While I understand the popularity of 4 round swiss... I would actually prefer the the Prerelease events were 64 player (maybe 128) Top 8 events. and I'd be much happier to pay 30 tickets for one of those and telling my wife I would be playing Magic all Day Saturday.

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

I did play in 2 PR sealed events and a draft instead of the zero i played for the last few sets.  It makes a difference.  
I'm just a touch disturbed by this thread.

WotC should know exactly how we feel. 

They have exact data on our spending habits and whether this Release was more or less successful than other Releases.

So why this thread? 

I hope it's not because WotC does not have the ability to mine their own data. Nah, couldn't be.  Could it?  Of course not.  Never!  What, never? Hardly ever!

A;gpna <-------- Loser, fFlamer, NTB Trollnomicist, wishes he could star in a G&S musical.

Thank you, Erik.

They have exact data on our spending habits and whether this Release was more or less successful than other Releases.

So why this thread? 

I hope it's not because WotC does not have the ability to mine their own data. Nah, couldn't be.  Could it?  Of course not.  Never!  What, never? Hardly ever!

I guarantee you the price of RtR PR events will be based off the event data for M13 compared to projections for the old price. That doesn't mean a thread on "how were M13 PR events" is a bad idea.

I think WotC might've screwed themselves over with this one though. As much as people moaned about the high cost of PRs before, nothing seems to stir the pot around here more than raising the entry/lowering the prizes, even when the initial was extremely generous. If they go back to an entry many think is "gouging" now, there is going to be an uproar.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I didn't play in the pre-releases at all and I moved from M13 core set release drafts to drafting older sets relatively quickly.  While I love the fact that you lowered the price of the pre-release events, I wasn't all that interested in the core set this time around.  With no new rare lands, reprint chase uncommons, the removal of the titans, and only 2-3 new cards in the whole set that I actually cared about owning, M13 itself was kind of a let down. 

I think the limited format itself was much more interesting than Avacyn Restored was, I just didn't see enough cards in the set I wanted to own, and therefore I didn't play as much.  

So why this thread? 

A;gpna <-------- loser="" fflamer="" ntb="" trollnomicist="" wishes="" he="" could="" star="" in="" a="" g="" s="" musical="" br="">

No need to be disturbed! The hearts and minds of the community isn't something that can be easily measured unless you believe in a "Well they played it, so they must have loved it!" philosophy. By getting everyone’s feedback in the forum, I’ll be able to pass on thoughts and concerns to the rest of the team so they have more to work with when designing future events. That’s why I’m wondering how the latest event differed (or didn’t) compared to previous Prerelease events, and what was going through players’ mind grapes while playing.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Until you have release leagues I am afraid I am done with pre/releases. The law of averages is just against you. I don't blame the shuffler, it's doing it's job, but to spend that kind of money then either get a jank card pool (sealed) or get manascrewed/flooded (any) it's just not worth it. The prizes you get used to pull me in, back when avatars did something (vangaurd), or when there were decent promo cards. Also, the power level of m13 is down significantly, which is good for trying to get cards I need for deckbuilding (casual guy, I don't do spike, but I do put in the best card for the slot) but terrible for making these revenue nuetral. All told, for 3+ hours of "entertainment" I can do a lot more fun than this for less money and not feel like I wasted my time waiting for a round to close just to get mana/curve screwed then to sit and wait for the next round.
Leagues are where it's at. Over the course of the league it averages out better, allows you to tweak the deck better, allows me to play when I want to play with no downtime (unless noone else in league is playing), and is just a better ROI for me.
Honestly I wish you'd just do the proper release earlier.
The change in price did make me actually look at the events for the first time since they where introduced but they are still over costed for no extra benefit to me.

I'm still suprised they do so well given its only 4-5 days earlier than the better EV events of the release. That plus anyone who really wanted to play M13 (or any new set) could have just gone and played paper magic any time in the last 2 weeks.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Limiting pre-release events to 4 rounds has got to be the dumbest thing since sliced bread.  We go to paper pre-releases and pay premium prices (often less than $30) to play 5-8 rounds with the new cards.  Many paper pre-releases also feature top 8's.
I don't like long events, so I enjoyed the 4-round prerelease events.
Limiting pre-release events to 4 rounds has got to be the dumbest thing since sliced bread.  We go to paper pre-releases and pay premium prices (often less than $30) to play 5-8 rounds with the new cards.  Many paper pre-releases also feature top 8's.

I thought sliced bread was a good idea?  When did it become a bad idea?

We?  We does not include me.  Is we royalty?  Or is we speaking for others not in evidence.

I have not seen any in the greater Seattle area with T8 in years.  Typically 4 rounds nowadays.   

You are prolly wrong about the 'many' T8s. Leastwise I'd like to see links to a reasonable sampling of your area. 

Seems kinda silly to make up stuff like that since WotC knows exactly how many events are of which type.  DCI, ya know?
Thank you, Erik.

I thought sliced bread was a good idea?  When did it become a bad idea?

We?  We does not include me.  Is we royalty?  Or is we speaking for others not in evidence.

I have not seen any in the greater Seattle area with T8 in years.  Typically 4 rounds nowadays.   

You are prolly wrong about the 'many' T8s. Leastwise I'd like to see links to a reasonable sampling of your area. 

Seems kinda silly to make up stuff like that since WotC knows exactly how many events are of which type.  DCI, ya know?

You know, Algona, your anecdotal evidence is just so much more convincing than his....

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Of course my anecdotal evidence is stronger.  I remember a time where mine was stronger .  And there was another time as well.  So there.

And my sliced bread is better than yours as well.

Oh, yeah, on topic and all.  Lower Release and PreRelease prices are good.

Thank you, Erik.
Of course my anecdotal evidence is stronger.  I remember a time where mine was stronger .  And there was another time as well.  So there.

And my sliced bread is better than yours as well.

Oh, yeah, on topic and all.  Lower Release and PreRelease prices are good.

My paper prerelease anecdotes match DWizard's ever since we moved to store prereleases. Events running modified Swiss number of rounds, cutting to top 8, but usually the top 8 just split the prizes anyway (sometimes it gets played out, at least one round).
I agree with DWizard in that I love larger prereleases.... The loss of them IRL is why I have skipped them in paper for the last few years.... But magic is doing great so wotc must be right.

Sliced bread is inherently dumb because the loaf goes stale quicker. Oh sure it saves you time and effort in not having to cut your own slices off (and for the ocd the headache of getting the slices just right) but the return is less tasty bread. As someone, whose Dad is a near fanatic about such matters (Marmalade and Rye in the morning after breakfast has been a ritual of his for years and he absolutely must slice his own bread) I can assure you this is serious business.

Winter.Wolf (ugh at this new forum with the ridiculous double login)

I abase myself.  I am completely wrong in that my anecdotal evidence is t3h sux.

And I will now invest in one of those fancey bread slicing knives.

And On Topic, longer prerelease might be a nice option for some folk.  

Would you prefer same price as 4 rounds, same prizes?  More cost, more prizes proportional to the cost increase?  free entry and everyone gets playset of P9? 
Thank you, Erik.
free entry and everyone gets playset of P9? 

I'd play this one.
free entry and everyone gets playset of P9? 

I'd play this one.

I would too.  But, I wouldn't enjoy it.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

I have no prior pre-release experience in MTGO.  I did go to at least one paper pre-release when they were big events, and was turned off to going to the M13 paper pre-release because it was not a big event.

As far as MTGO goes though, I'd have to agree with the above quote.  I palyed pre-release to get experience with the cards.  The reality I faced instead was that I'd often be paying ~$25 (I don't remember exactly?) To play 3 matches and 1 bye, and getting maybe 1 pack out of it.  So I'm losing $20 of value for 3 games, which is more than I was comfortable with.  I spent a lot of money that weekend and wasn't too happy with what I got out of it.   Next time I will wait for real release events.

Also I was very frustrated with the number of byes I got.  Sure I'd improve a record from 1-2 to 2-2 and win a pack, but as I said, I was there to play.   When you're losing a lot (as I was), getting a bye can be very frustrating.  
Sign In to post comments