Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright. I want to build a competitive Nicol Bolas deck. That's Black, Blue and Red. The three control colors.
I could use some advice here because I've never attempted a Nicol Bolas deck. Budget is no issue. Feel free to take my template or post something completely different.

Sideboard would include artifact destroying cards so witchbane orb doesn't stop me. The goal of the deck is to gain mana advantage through artifacts and keep the field wiped.
Negate is there to protect my planeswalkers.
Win conditions include....
Sorin Markov -> Sorin's Vengeance/Consume Spirit.
Various burn cards chained together
Nicol Bolas entering the field
Wurmcoil Engine

I like it, but I'm not sure I like Killing Wave in this sort of thing. Wouldn't you rather have a blue way of keeping the cards up, or a solid destruction card to buy your beaters time?

Also, is Gem as useless as everyone says it is or does it work in practice?
I want to be Cultured.
You're missing certain cards which I feel are the core of the control archetype at this point in time.

Augur of Bolas
Snapcaster Mage
Think Twice
Desperate Ravings

Sorin's Vengeance is a better finishing option then both Devil's Play and Consume Spirit, cut both Devil's Play and Consume Spirit, leaving you 3 open slots, and not to mention you have Nicol Bolas to end the game out.

I'd suggest your finishers be:

2 Sorin's Vengeance
1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Killing Wave does nothing for you.
Run Mana Leak while its still legal.
Photobucket
i agree, gem is not as reliable as some would think cause it leaves you tapped out for 2 turns for playing any other spells besides that if you want faster mana (3x of's)Liliana of the Dark Realms would be a better choice there as if you can get her out on the 4th turn Lilianas first ability nets you a swamp every turn and by the 7th, or sooner with the artifact creature, turn her third ability overpowers your (4x of's)Consume Spirit for 26+ life...... also your lands do not match what kind of deck you have at the moment so in that sense i would cut out the 4 Darkslick Shores cause this deck does not scream out heavy blue but heavy black in your deck and take out a mountain, add an island and 2 more swamps...... but this is just my personal opinion.........
Good point on the Gem. Terrible suggestion on Liliana of the Dark Realms. I don't like mana leak for non-aggro decks. Its only useful on the first 5 turns. After that its a complete waste of a card for the exception of a few rare incidents. I might run Augur of Snapcaster. Not sure which one.
The point of Killing Wave was to turn 2 or 3 killing wave for 1-2. I will have no creatures on the field so they will likely keep some/all of their creatures. Then the next turn I wipe them so he takes several damage. I'm not too sure how viable that would be. If I replace Devil's play it will have to be with a kill card. I have no answer to a creature with toughness above 4 unless I black suns for 6+ Anymore feedback will be helpful. Please provide a valid point of why you think said card should be changed.
I think you want Dismember in here as a 1-2 of. It great and kills a lot of pesky creatures in the format.
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
I think Go for the Throat might be more useful than Doom Blade, since it still is productive, even against Zombies. As for Liliana, I agree it doesn't fit here. Sorin is a better choice for the Black walkers, or Liliana of the Veil would be a good option.
id say no to lotus: we arent trying to accelerate out bolas.  Low and slow wins this battle of attrition.  if it takes you 10 turns to get the mana, so be it.  You should have plenty of removal and countermagic to stop any assault.  If he drops too early, you risk losing him to opposing countermagic or aggro hoards.

no sorin...just plain bad

go liliana of the veil, much better than dark realms for you here
chandra, the firebrand may have a place here, doubling your spells can be very useful, especially on the draw
yes to snap, 4 of-spells are fun to cast twice
meh on solemn, 4 drop, not running heartless, kinda slow, not worth it.
yes to augur and think twice and prob desperate ravings too

needs more control element.  I like this in modern a lot as you have weapons.  here...im not so sure. id run maybe 12 ways to spot remove/sweep critters, maybe 4 counters, 4 targeted discard spells, 14 other cards and 24 land.  thats just a general base.  in the sideboard id get all the meta dependent cards, plus more countermagic/discard for the control mirror match.  i wish torpor orb wasnt rotating.  that totally jacks up u/w controls whole game plan              

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

I did have Liliana of the Veil on here originally but then I figured I have no way to gain card advantage and being a control deck discarded would hurt me more than it would benefit me. I can always flashback the spell with snapcaster though. I might give her a shot.
I chose Doom Blade over GftT because Whipflare doesn't hit artifacts. I have both so both can easily be switched out and it really doesn't matter. I just needed a way to kill a powerful creature above 3 toughness.

As for the mana base I think it fits well. Most of my cards are B, BB or BBB. So I have 17 Swamps. Then I have a even number of Blue and Red cards so I have 10 of each.
id say no to lotus: we arent trying to accelerate out bolas.  Low and slow wins this battle of attrition.  if it takes you 10 turns to get the mana, so be it.  You should have plenty of removal and countermagic to stop any assault.  If he drops too early, you risk losing him to opposing countermagic or aggro hoards.

no sorin...just plain bad

go liliana of the veil, much better than dark realms for you here
chandra, the firebrand may have a place here, doubling your spells can be very useful, especially on the draw
yes to snap, 4 of-spells are fun to cast twice
meh on solemn, 4 drop, not running heartless, kinda slow, not worth it.
yes to augur and think twice and prob desperate ravings too

needs more control element.  I like this in modern a lot as you have weapons.  here...im not so sure. id run maybe 12 ways to spot remove/sweep critters, maybe 4 counters, 4 targeted discard spells, 14 other cards and 24 land.  thats just a general base.  in the sideboard id get all the meta dependent cards, plus more countermagic/discard for the control mirror match.  i wish torpor orb wasnt rotating.  that totally jacks up u/w controls whole game plan              

Sorin is far from bad. He's a OP planeswalker. Every single ability he has is great.
I disagree on the mana ramp. You can only control for so long and so much. I think you play modern more than standard. I only care for standard inputs. Mana ramp not only lets you control more often but it gets your win conditions out faster. Gilded Lotus lets me flashback more cards faster with snapcaster.
Chandra is a horrible planeswalker.
Feel free to post your ideal deck and not just certain card recommendations and I'll see how it compares.

well wait, Mutilate could be somewhat helpful with the 4+ toughness creatures right? hmm oh well
well wait, Mutilate could be somewhat helpful with the 4+ toughness creatures right?

Nope. I'm running 3 Colors and 7 Swamps. The BEST case scenario mutilate will only do -7/-7. On average Mutilate would only give -1 or -2
ahh ok then nvm.......
Bump. Don't know why. Let me see some alternative decks that don't involve Tezzeret with Nicol Bolas.
Hm. Shops out of Slagstorm so I need a card to replace it. Doesn't have to be a field wiping card. The closest second is Arc Trail Any suggestions?
Alright I've been play testing this deck. It does well but it has a few problems. Snapcaster is not very good. I just realized all my cards are sorceries. I either need some instants or remove snapcaster all together. Maybe replace him with Augur. Any suggestions on this? What would be some useful field wiping/control instants?
Right, so this is really a Grixis deck - which means that it is something on my radar for the upcoming rotation. Also means I've looked at various Grixis decks and options.

Here's my view on things:

I'd get rid of Solemn Simulacrum and Wurmcoil Engine, Solemn is too slow and doesn't add anything to a deck like this. Grixis is about control, getting rid of things and then finishing off with a big fatty.

I'd be interested in something like Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis as a wincon, since he forces creature removal on every attack. Olivia Voldaren is also a relevant card. Grave Titan is a good option.

I'd also be getting rid of Sorin's Vengence, I'd be happy to win with one of Nefarox, Olivia, Grave Titan and Nicol Bolas.

I'd build me Grixis deck along these lines:

This is complete theorycraft and just off the top of my head here. You may want to bring a control element into the deck with some Dissipate, Mana Leak, or Negate
pristine talisman is a good choice for the deck, i'd run like 2 or 3 of it.

personally, i think red as a support color for control is pretty terrible right now.  it has the illusion of being good, but it really isn't.

one interesting idea would be to go with an esper shell and then just run a few red lands to hit nicol bolas.

when nicol bolas, PW was first around, there was a UWR control deck that splashed black for nicol bolas, the same could apply here, giving you better removal in day of judgment, oblivion ring, and things like gideon.  just an idea.

the other idea is go play green for early ramp and other control aspects, so all colors but white.   then you can retain normal grixis control cards (yes, like red removal).

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Right, so this is really a Grixis deck - which means that it is something on my radar for the upcoming rotation. Also means I've looked at various Grixis decks and options.

Here's my view on things:

I'd get rid of Solemn Simulacrum and Wurmcoil Engine, Solemn is too slow and doesn't add anything to a deck like this. Grixis is about control, getting rid of things and then finishing off with a big fatty.

I'd be interested in something like Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis as a wincon, since he forces creature removal on every attack. Olivia Voldaren is also a relevant card. Grave Titan is a good option.

I'd also be getting rid of Sorin's Vengence, I'd be happy to win with one of Nefarox, Olivia, Grave Titan and Nicol Bolas.

I'd build me Grixis deck along these lines:

This is complete theorycraft and just off the top of my head here. You may want to bring a control element into the deck with some Dissipate, Mana Leak, or Negate

Alright well first off Nerfarox is a horrible card. He not only has to be summoned which 6 mana should be a wincon. He has to survive for an entire round AND attack for a mediocre 7/7 with flying. No where near as good of a win condition as Wurmcoil or Sorins Vengeance.
I dont really find Olivia to be a control deck creature at all. It would take 11 mana to take control of one creature from the time you summon her to the time you use her. I'm sorry but I just think your entire list is medicore cards that don't have synergy with each other but thanks for the input
pristine talisman is a good choice for the deck, i'd run like 2 or 3 of it.

personally, i think red as a support color for control is pretty terrible right now.  it has the illusion of being good, but it really isn't.

one interesting idea would be to go with an esper shell and then just run a few red lands to hit nicol bolas.

when nicol bolas, PW was first around, there was a UWR control deck that splashed black for nicol bolas, the same could apply here, giving you better removal in day of judgment, oblivion ring, and things like gideon.  just an idea.

the other idea is go play green for early ramp and other control aspects, so all colors but white.   then you can retain normal grixis control cards (yes, like red removal).

I was thinking of Pristine Talisman. The only thing I'm worried about is the 3 colors and pristine only adds a colorless.
I'm not really interested in adding white or green. Three colors is slow enough. Adding a fourth requirement would make mana my worst enemy.
i can safely say that the colorless mana will 99% of the time NOT be an issue.  i run it in 3 color decks all the time and the pump and life gain more than makes up for colorless mana.  all the dual lands you have access to should make up for it easily.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

Burning forest is right. The talisman will only help. I've been play grixis for awhile now and run 3 of them. Not to mention the fact that I am mostly a control player the extra life is just a good bonus.
Alright I run 4 in my mono black control and I do love the card so I think Ill give it a shot.

Alright well first off Nerfarox is a horrible card. He not only has to be summoned which 6 mana should be a wincon. He has to survive for an entire round AND attack for a mediocre 7/7 with flying. No where near as good of a win condition as Wurmcoil or Sorins Vengeance.
I dont really find Olivia to be a control deck creature at all. It would take 11 mana to take control of one creature from the time you summon her to the time you use her. I'm sorry but I just think your entire list is medicore cards that don't have synergy with each other but thanks for the input

I can accept Nefarox being a horrible card, but remember Grixis is a slower deck. Anyway that's why he's a one-of. But taking him out is easy, and I'd even be happy to drop Grave Titan in this deck, leaving...

Olivia Voldaren, she is the absolute nuts in this deck. She is not about taking over creatures (which is what I first thought as well), she's 2 mana for 1 damage and pump, at instant speed and available the turn she comes out.

That's creature removal plus making your wincon bigger - in Grixis she's infinitely better than Wurmcoil.

Understand, the point of Grixis is to remove remove remove until you're able safely play your big creatures/planeswalkers and win out. You run mostly instants and sorceries which is what makes Augur and Snapcaster relevant and Olivia and Nicol Bolas are your wincons.

Feel free to ignore this, but if you take anything from what I've said, please at least try out Olivia...
I've been running this deck on Cockatrice for the last couple days. Here are the outcomes....

Match 1
...vs White/Black Exalted   Wins-1  Losses-2
Every game I was one turn away from winning.

...vs Elf deck    Wins-2 Losses-0

...vs U/B Zombies    Wins-2 Losses-1

...vs G/R Aggro    Wins-2 Losses-1

...vs Sacrifing Zombie    Wins-2 Losses -0

...vs Elf Deck    Wins-2 Losses-0

...vs Black Horror Deck   Wins-2 Losses-1

....vs W/B Exalted   Wins-2 Losses-1

....vs Humans  Wins-1  Losses-0

....vs Mono Green   Wins-1 Losses-0

Now given the fact that Cockatrice players may not be the best players out there, the enemies decks were solid. I was also requesting to only go against aggro decks as my meta is full of them. I'm not sure how well I'd do against control decks and I'd probably do poorly against a delver deck.

My current decklist is....

Possible Changes: Removing a Solemn for another Augur or Pristine Talisman.
As for Olivia goes I'm not too sure about her. Definitely not better than Wurmcoil. You are forgetting the lifelink on wurmcoil. Control decks start off slow so I'm going to take damage. Regaining the life is incredibly important. If they see Olivia hit the field it wont stop them from attacking. If they see Wurmcoil they definitely stop attacking. I'm not certain but the enemy also needs a creature on the field to pump up Olivia. This deck focuses on keeping creatures off the field with field wipes. I'll give her a shot, I'm just not sure it fits control at all.

Also I'm now going to start a sideboard. Feel free to put input towards sideboard

Sideboard

2 Smelt - vs Wurmcoil/Affinity/Witchbane Orb
2 Torpor Orb - vs Flicker/Sac. Zombie
2 Witchbane Orb - vs RDW/Black Decks
3 Duress - vs Delver/Control
3 Nephalia Drownyard - vs Delver/Control
3 Grafdigger's Cage - vs Elf Decks/Stangleroot Geist/Zombies

Went up against my first Delver deck. What a match it was. I went 1-2 but only because it was a 4 AM and I made a mistake that cost me the game in both games.

Game 1: He had 2 spirit tokens out. 1 had Sword of War and Peace on it. I ramped much much faster than him. I had Nicol Bolas in my hand. I chose not to play him because I was thinking the spirit had protection from red, but Derp I can use it on the sword. I would have easily won that game had I spent a second to think.

Game 2: I won using the Sorin Markov -> Sorin's Vengeance combo.

Game 3: I had two whipflares and a negate in my hand. We were both at 10 life. I had much more mana on the field than him. I used Whipflare to wipe the field of 2 snapcasters. He dissipate it, instead of negating the dissipate I casted the second whipflare. Next turn he played Geist. Had I counterspelled it I may have won because the second whipflare would have killed the Geist.

Games at 4 AM increase my chance of mistakes XD but Delver is a very hard matchup but extremely fun games.
You can use Olivia's ability on your own creature if you need to just pump her. Her evasion is what sets her apart from Wurmcoil, I understand why you say Wurmcoil helps because of the lifegain - but I think by the time you get Wurmcoil out you should've taken board control anyway.

Have you tried Curse of Death's Hold (over one or two of the Black Sun's)?

I'd mainboard Pillar of Flame, not sure over what but it's great against undying and it's useful in all matchups (Delver, Ramp, Zombies, Vampires, Humans etc)

I'd also like to point you to this thread which may give you some more ideas:
forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t...

I like Wurmcoil for this kind of deck.  Have you considered [C]Trading Post[/C] in place of a Solemn?  It is awesome with the wurm and gives you a litle flexibility.  So long as you are running the Lotus, you might want to think about including [C]Griselbrand[/C]  because you can hard cast as soon as you have Lotus out since it already costs 5 and can produce the 3 black.
I like Wurmcoil for this kind of deck.  Have you considered [C]Trading Post[/C] in place of a Solemn?  It is awesome with the wurm and gives you a litle flexibility.  So long as you are running the Lotus, you might want to think about including [C]Griselbrand[/C]  because you can hard cast as soon as you have Lotus out since it already costs 5 and can produce the 3 black.

Ah, I like the way you think. I was actually just debating between putting a Griselbrand in. I'll likely run 1 wurmcoil and 1 griselbrand.
As for trading post I'm not sure how beneficial it would be. Sure I can get back the 1 wurmcoil but that would be the only benefit. I would have to sacrifice a creature to get back a artifact (to my hand) and I'm only running a handful of creatures and it would take 2 turns to get that artifact back unless of course its wurmcoil. I'm not sure on that one still. I'll have to consider best possible scenarios and worst case and such.
You can use Olivia's ability on your own creature if you need to just pump her. Her evasion is what sets her apart from Wurmcoil, I understand why you say Wurmcoil helps because of the lifegain - but I think by the time you get Wurmcoil out you should've taken board control anyway.

Have you tried Curse of Death's Hold (over one or two of the Black Sun's)?

I'd mainboard Pillar of Flame, not sure over what but it's great against undying and it's useful in all matchups (Delver, Ramp, Zombies, Vampires, Humans etc)

I'd also like to point you to this thread which may give you some more ideas:
forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t...

I rarely have a creature on the field to use Olivia's ability on my own creature. That's why she doesn't really seem to fit a few-creature control deck. There also shouldn't be a need for evasion. When I play a creature I have the board under control. Hence the purpose of control.
I was considering Curse of the Death's hold. I'm not sure what to replace. BSZ is my only way to stop Phyrexian Obliterator without sacrificing everything, and GFtT. I have it on the sideboard for now.
I did add a Pillar of flame. Strangleroot Geist is a big problem in the meta right now for field wiping control. Good tip on that one. I might add a few more to sideboard.
I did look at the thread and I see why you want to add in Olivia but keep in mind that thread was made in 2011. There are much different cards out now. Gilded Lotus wasn't even around then. It blows my mind control decks dont run Sorin's Vengeance and Sorin Markov. I have won SO many games with those two cards. More so Sorin's Vengeance than Markov but the two chained together is unbeatable haha.
BSZ is my only way to stop Phyrexian Obliterator without sacrificing everything

That's because you aren't running Sever the Bloodline. In this I would personally drop 2 BSZ for them, you already have loads of board sweep... Or maybe side them?

I agree on Griselbrand and Gilded Lotus, those two seem made for each other.

I want to be Cultured.
Dismember also kills Obliterators and is just versatile removal in general.
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
BSZ is my only way to stop Phyrexian Obliterator without sacrificing everything

That's because you aren't running Sever the Bloodline. In this I would personally drop 2 BSZ for them, you already have loads of board sweep... Or maybe side them?

I agree on Griselbrand and Gilded Lotus, those two seem made for each other.

Sever the Bloodline isn't very good. 4 Mana for a kill card with a low chance of it being a sweeper?
Dismember is a good idea, I didn't think of that. I might have to pick up a few.
Did my first FNM with this deck. Placed 8th.

Match 1: Won
Green/Blue/Red Homebrew.
Round 1- I lost, three strangleroot geist in the opening hand and only 2 main decked pillar of flame was too much to handle.
Round 2- I won, Pillar of flame the first Geist. His next creature was Thragtusk. I chump blocked and killed with Solemn. Next creature was Wolfir Silverheart onto a Geist. Next turn I got Bolas out and won.
Round 3- Turn 5 Sorin Markov, Turn 6 Sorin's Vengeance.

Match 2: Won
Zombies!
Round 1-I got dominated. Too fast with too much sacrifice damage and undying.
Round 2-Sideboard the Pillar of Flame. I whipflare turn 3, Pillar his Geralfs on turn 4, Turn 5 I curse of death's hold. That was the game.
Round 3- Similar to round 2. I had the perfect hand. Had bolas out on turn 6 instead of curse.
This is a hard match-up, I got lucky on this one.

Match 3: Won
Tempered Steel
Round 1- I had 3 slagstorms in opening hand. Got Nicol Bolas out and cleared is metalcraft.
Round 2- His only land was Mox Opal but he had an amazing hand. Never drew a land until it was too late. I smelt/killed every artifact he played.

Match 4: Loss
RDW/Goblins
Round 1- He burned me faster than I could finish the game. Miracled 2 bonfires and that other 5 damage one.
Round 2- For whatever reason I sideboarded in Elixir of Immortality. I took out witchbane orb from the sideboard unfortunately since I never saw a RDW in my meta. I had 1 life left for 3 turns with Nicol Bolas out. I -9 bolas and played Sorin Markov for the +2 and the win.
Round 3- He sideboarded out 15 burn cards and put in 15 goblins. Unfortunately I had lots of field wipers sideboarded out for duress/negate and such. He destroyed me in 5 turns.

Match 5: Loss
Mono Green/Dungraf/Geist
Round 1- I controlled the field keeping his mana critters gone and I had turn 6 Griselbrand, Turn 7 Nicol Bolas, Turn 8 Wurmcoil then he forfeit haha.
Round 2- Had mana issues. Needed 1 swamp for BSZ, couldn't get it. Predator Ooze and Elder took the game.
Round 3- 2 Strangelroot Geist opening hand, GSZ the third. I had no pillars. Game.

This deck has performed very well and I'm impressed. It's much more effective than mono black control. The biggest weakness is undying so I might fill my sideboard with Grafdiggers, Nihil Spellbomb and Exile cards.

Alright did another 5 round standard. Went 4-1.

Sideboard 15
[deck]
2 Pillar of Flame
1 Grafdiggers Cage
3 Duress
2 Curse of Death's Hold
1 Elixir of Immortality
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Doom Blade
2 Smelt[/deck]

Game 1: Win  2-0
...vs Black/White Exalted
Round 1: He thought he had me with a powerful Sublime Archangel out. I wiped the field with Black Sun's Zenith. The next turn I played Sorin Markov and killed everything he put on the field until I drew Vengeance.
Round 2: Subbed in Curse of Death's hold. Killed a lot of his creatures. Whipflare/Slagstorm kept the field clear. Won with Wurmcoil/Griselbrand.

Game 2: Loss 0-2
...vs Mono Green
Round 1: I had a mana problem but I managed to keep the field clear of Geist/Dungraf. He got Garruk out and made a lot of tokens. Attached Sword of War and Peace to a token and I lost 1 turn from victory.
Round 2: He mulliganed to 5. Turn 2 Predator Ooze. I had no BSZ. Turn 3 Sword of War and Peace. That won the game. I drew BSZ 1 turn too late.

Game 3: Win 2-1
...vs Elf ramp
Round 1: She had the perfect hand. I couldn't draw a single mountain. Had I had a mountain by turn 4 it would have been a won, but she had a turn 4 Craterhoof Behemoth with 5 elves for a instant 20 damage.
Round 2: Subbed in Curse. Kept the field clear with slagstorm/whipflare. Got Nicol Bolas out. Destroyed her lands, game over.
Round 3: Kept the field clear early on. Got 2 Curse of the Death's Hold. Won with Nicol bolas.

Game 4: Win 2-1
....vs Goblin/Burn Deck
Round 1: Unexpected 20 damage in one turn. He had 2 goblin arsonists on the field. He played hellrider, attacked with all and 2x Goblin Grenade. I thought I had that match so I didn't wipe the field.
Round 2: I was saved by Sorin's Vengeance and Batterskull. He had me very low. I wiped the field. I thought he would play Hellrider next turn for the win. He didn't. I sorin's vengeance followed by a batterskull and he couldn't recover.
Round 3: I got curse of the death's hold out but drew nothing but lands. I kept the field clear. Eventually I had bolas and just cleared the field of everything.

Game 5: Win 2-1
....vs Green/Red Birthing pod
Round 1: He had retarded fast ramp/mana with birthing pod. I thought I had him with the Sorin Markov -> Vengeance combo but after I set his life to 10 he played Conscripts and took over Sorin for the win.
Round 2: I subbed in Pillar of Flame and Smelt completely forgetting Grafdiggers. He birthing pod his avacyn pilgrim for a strangleroot. I pillar of flamed it. I then destroyed birthing pod and barely won with a Sorin Markov -> Vengeance combo with 3 life remaining.
Round 3: Fun match. I had grafdiggers out on turn 2. Shut his deck down. No GSZ, no Birthing pod. I then just killed the few creatures in his hand. I couldnt draw a single wincon for the life of me. Eventually got Nicol bolas out and I had to -9 bolas THREE times to win haha.
That's Black, Blue and Red. The three control colors.

Try white.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Try white.

How would 'trying white' get Nicol Bolas out? >.>

Try white.

Red is not really a control color. White is much more of the other control color.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Try white.

Red is not really a control color. White is much more of the other control color.

Lol >.> Yeah a crap ton of cards that do direct damage to monsters or player isn't control. Bonfire of the damned is definitely not a control card. Nor is whipflare or slagstorm or magmaquake or any other direct damage spell.....
not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but yes bonfire is NOT a control card.

Photobucket

Sever the Bloodline isn't very good. 4 Mana for a kill card with a low chance of it being a sweeper?
Dismember is a good idea, I didn't think of that. I might have to pick up a few.

It would have a low chance of being a sweeper if tokens weren't a thing. I also recommend it in this(again, only as a 2 of or in the side) because outside of Nicol himself your destruction looks like it would struggle in the face of anything bigger then 3/3. And I get that this is an aggressive format, but there should be at least some sort of insurance for critters in the higher end/pump.

I want to be Cultured.
Sign In to post comments