Advantage to playing a mulitcolor to Mono?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im just trying to figure out is there a advantage to playing a multicolor deck than playing a mono deck? I thought playing multicolor would be so much better but the last 7 games I have played with a multicolor I have got spanked
I am kinda a noob myself, but hey I know I wont be the only one answerin this question. So let me attempt to help yah out!

Multi colour seems to give alot of advantages in giving your deck versitility. Many colours do one thing very well, but have weaknesses in other fields. For instance green has some very nice mana accelleration while blue does not have much at all. So mixing colours give you the advantage of covering up one colours weaknesses with anothers strengths.

One disadvantage is having to maintain mana for each colour you add to your deck. For instance it impossible to not have the correct mana to play a spell in a mono deck (unless you accidentally shuffled in a wrong coloured card haha). So it has some issues.

Also multi coloured tends to be protected against hard counters I feel. For instance protection from red/blue/etc cards are less effective since you will have monsters/spells of two colours to use against them.

I think its really weighting the addition of variety with the difficulty to maintain the mana for multiple colours.  But I am sure there are a million reasons why one is stronger than another in different situations. Mono colours just tend to have decks that hard counter them more often.

I could imagine mono colours do not work well in tournaments since people can side board some specific cards to counter your deck completely.

Hope this helps!  
Im just trying to figure out is there a advantage to playing a multicolor deck than playing a mono deck?

This is almost too relative a question to answer with anything outside of generalizations.

Specific archetypes function best as mono-colour, whereas others functions best as multi-colour.

Basically, no single answer exists - but you should do as the deck demands.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

Im just trying to figure out is there a advantage to playing a multicolor deck than playing a mono deck? I thought playing multicolor would be so much better but the last 7 games I have played with a multicolor I have got spanked

Having more colors in your deck broadens your options.

When you're playing mono black and someone drops a Sigil of the Empty Throne, you'd better kill them fast before you'll get overwhelmed by an army of 4/4 fliers.
The same holds true for many other threats. Not all colors can respond to artifacts, creatures, enchantments or even lands. Since some threats really are of the "deal with this now or lose" type, having access to more colors can be beneficial.

Monocoloured decks aren't all bad however. Many strategies only work in single colours. Emeria, the Sky Ruin has a strong effect, but you'd better play it in a deck that's either completely mono-white or only allows for a tiny dip in another color. The same holds true for cards like Tendrils of Corruption or Primalcrux.

As a rule of thumb, remember that the more restrictive the mana cost, the better the card typically is.
A creature that costs WW is generally better than one that costs 1W.
A creature that costs WWBB is typically better than one that costs 2WB.

Also, note that some colors work together well only in specific instances. Mixing blue and red for example, works poorly if you want to push your deck into a beatdown strategy. By the same token, if you're playing green and white and are trying to pull off some combo, you're arguably better of by steering your deck in another direction.
Multicolor just for its own sake rarely works. You need to figure out what your deck wants to do and then ask yourself if adding another color would help you in that regard or if it would simply make your manabase less reliable.