Looking for a paragon path for Ranger cleric hybrid

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi I originally made a variant of this character for a friend of mine for a lair assault.
This character is intended to be a secondary leader with a big charge for some striker style at will damage.
He has plenty of DR for survivability as his defences are not top notch... I know his reflex is awful.

I want a Paragon path that augments his charger side or leader side and/or adds to his survivability I have no problem with multiclassing to pick one.

Any advice will be gratefully recieved

character
Goliath, Cleric|Ranger
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Combat Talent
Ranger Combat Talent: Running Attack (Hybrid)
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Wilder

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 20, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 25 Fort: 24 Reflex: 21 Will: 26
HP: 77 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +14, Endurance +11, Nature +16, Athletics +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +9, History +4, Insight +9, Intimidate +5, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Goliath Greatweapon Prowess
Level 2: Improved defenses
Level 4: Armor Proficiency: Chainmail
Level 6: superior Will
Level 8: Two handed weapon Expertise
Level 10: Powerful Charge

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Brand of the sun
Hybrid at-will 1: Marauder's Rush
Hybrid encounter 1: Healing Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Moment of Glory
Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid daily 5: Snarling Wolf Stance
Hybrid utility 6: Wild repulsion
Hybrid encounter 7: Strengthen the Faithful
Hybrid daily 9: Divine power
Hybrid utility 10: Enter the crucible

ITEMS
Summoned Finemail +3, Avalanche Hammer Maul +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Horned Helm (heroic tier), Badge of the Berserker +3

Goliath Greatweapon Prowess and Two-Handed Weapon Expertise are redundant. They're both feat bonuses so they don't stack, and GGP seems to be better.
Goliath Greatweapon Prowess and Two-Handed Weapon Expertise are redundant. They're both feat bonuses so they don't stack, and GGP seems to be better.

Not true. THW Expertise's damage bonus is untyped.

Try Paragon of Victory. Also, you're a Hybrid Cleric. What the heck are you doing with chainmail proficiency. BCL or bust. 

Avalanche hammer doesn't work unless you use MBAs, which Marauder's Charge is not one. Use a vanguard weapon instead, and preferably not a hammer.

Try Paragon of Victory. Also, you're a Hybrid Cleric. What the heck are you doing with chainmail proficiency. BCL or bust. 

Avalanche hammer doesn't work unless you use MBAs, which Marauder's Charge is not one. Use a vanguard weapon instead, and preferably not a hammer.

Huh. I was not aware of that. Thanks!
Goliaths can get +2 str and +2 wis... what are you doing with unbalanced strength and wisdom when your array had 16/16?
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
It looks like he took the +2 Str/+2 Con racial bonus instead, which...I can see reasons for doing so, but they're just not really good enough reasons to not take 18 Str/18 Wis instead.

Also, Wilder theme? The heck? This character has a lot of things that make me go "I can see the reason why you did that, but those aren't really good reasons." 
Ranger|Cleric without twin strike seems a bit odd. I'd go a different direction with this build. You don't need chainmail, since BCL works on hybrids, I'd switch that out for Staff Fighting, and switch two-handed weapon expertise to staff expertise, so you have a nice reach weapon for twin strike. As you're approaching paragon, vanguard loses a lot of its appeal. Either Frost or Radiant will serve you better, just for the shard if nothing else, +3 damage on every attack is simply better than 1d8 only on a charge (this is true even for primarily charger builds). Instead of Powerful Charge, I'd probably pick up Invoker MC to rely on the staff for both melee and implement attacks, and Hand of Radiance is not a bad encounter power.

Going this route, depending on the rest of your party, you could go Morninglord. Or you could spend your hybrid talent on two-weapon style (basically just toughness), which opens the door for Pathfinder, which might be a good way to bolster your front line tough guy role, not to mention you get an immediate action attack, an extra action point, and great nova potential with the right power choices. For the role you seem to be taking on, I think Pathfinder is quite appropriate.

I didn't realise that about Marauders charge... thats a blow.

It looks like he took the +2 Str/+2 Con racial bonus instead, which...I can see reasons for doing so, but they're just not really good enough reasons to not take 18 Str/18 Wis instead.

that was an error in transfering over the character str/wis are even

Also, Wilder theme? The heck? This character has a lot of things that make me go "I can see the reason why you did that, but those aren't really good reasons." 

Wilder was just for the utility 6 that gives DR5 (or more) till the end of the encounter which theme would you have taken?

The biggest change on the list is that this build should be Dwarf, Mul, or Genasi, not Goliath. You don't need a WIS boost, you need good racial feats.

none of these races give a boost to str and wis at the same time, otherwise a Mul would be preferable
The biggest change on the list is that this build should be Dwarf, Mul, or Genasi, not Goliath. You don't need a WIS boost, you need good racial feats.

none of these races give a boost to str and wis at the same time, otherwise a Mul would be preferable

What's being unsaid is that for the most part, a Ranger|Cleric doesn't need a Wis score unless you take powers that involve Wisdom. And you don't need to do that. Eventually, not a bad thing to have given certain Prime Shot feats, but...

I personally like Human actually for the ability to combine Throw & Stab + Righteous Brand(and Power of Skill) + Twin Strike. Get some way of throwing your weapon and you're good. Yes, you'll only have a 16 Dex, but that's somewhat incidental to the benefit of Twin Strike. And Throw & Stab + Righteous Brand is one of the more competitive options in the game compared to Twin Strike - you don't do as much focused damage, but you do one of the better leader powers + movement + some substandard striker damage. In combo, it ends up being solid.
Did you read a word I said?

You do not need a WIS boost, you need good racial feats.

I did get that, but my reply wasn't clear sorry.
The good racial feats as I understand it for dwarf/mul are -
dwarven weapon training (which equates to brutal 1 on the hammer though with the avalance hammer issue It needn't be a hammer anymore...), quick steps +1 move, and resiliance of stone (especially pick for a mul) his ranger utility pretty much gives the equivilant to the dwarf racial ability. These are good but I'm not sure I want to trade +1 to hit for them though I could go to the fullblade/ greatsword for some added accuracy.

I must confess to be unfamiliar with the genasi feats but none really stand out from my quick glance.

Oh and sorry what is BCL? I can't see a feat with those initials on the class feat list

What's being unsaid is that for the most part, a Ranger|Cleric doesn't need a Wis score unless you take powers that involve Wisdom. And you don't need to do that. Eventually, not a bad thing to have given certain Prime Shot feats, but....

I just see so many benefits to high wis - healing/ mauraders rush/disrupting strike/ invigorating stride and brand of the sun giving out of turn saves is very handy.

I personally like Human actually for the ability to combine Throw & Stab + Righteous Brand(and Power of Skill) + Twin Strike. Get some way of throwing your weapon and you're good. Yes, you'll only have a 16 Dex, but that's somewhat incidental to the benefit of Twin Strike. And Throw & Stab + Righteous Brand is one of the more competitive options in the game compared to Twin Strike - you don't do as much focused damage, but you do one of the better leader powers + movement + some substandard striker damage. In combo, it ends up being solid.

When I see throw and stab it makes me want to go for cleave + deft hurler + dwarven thrower weapon.
I do see what you mean, though I figure two high damage at wills wouldn't be that great as the tendancy is to use the higher damage one the vast majority of the time.

Oh and sorry what is BCL? I can't see a feat with those initials on the class feat list

Battle Cleric's Lore: Optional Class Feature

shield bonus and scale proficiency,  and a bonus to hit for targets of your heals

I just see so many benefits to high wis - healing/ mauraders rush/disrupting strike/ invigorating stride and brand of the sun giving out of turn saves is very handy.

It's handy, but not necessary to have it maxed. It's about balancing things out. You can't have eveything and Racial feats are pretty strong in the case of Genasi and Dwarves. Each Genasi manifestation gives you an Encounter Power, has related feats and most get a defense boost also as well as an elemental resistance.

Battle Cleric's Lore: Optional Class Feature

shield bonus and scale proficiency,  and a bonus to hit for targets of your heals

thanks, that is opposed to healers lore I assume it sounds like a winner though.

It's handy, but not necessary to have it maxed. It's about balancing things out. You can't have eveything and Racial feats are pretty strong in the case of Genasi and Dwarves. Each Genasi manifestation gives you an Encounter Power, has related feats and most get a defense boost also as well as an elemental resistance.

I can see your point but this character has a lot of DR5/10 utility and daily powers so the elemental resistance would be wasted so a Genasi seems a iffy choice given the pointless int bonus.
As for the wisdom well Brand of the sun only goes off on a hit so he would still need a good wis also having access to the full choice of cleric powers is a bonus... if he picks up a holy symbol

I was hoping for advice pointing to PP for this guy
Brand of the sun works hit or miss. It has an effect line which always happens when you use the power.

Tactical Warpriest.
Ironwrought would be a decent option for theme as would Guardian. 
I would take Paragon of Victory. You get +5 damage with an AP, THP when you drop enemies, an encounter MBA as an OA, and a minor action Righteous Brand. The D20 power is excellent leader + striker material as well.

Genasi is an excellent race choice if your character is level 11+ because of the Shocking Flame feat, which adds +2/4 lightning or fire damage depending on your manifestation. If you go with firesoul, then pick up a Firewind Blade (heavy blade only). If you go with stormsoul, pick whatever weapon enchant you want (probably frost) and use the racial power for an awesome nova boost.

If you're not a big fan of Genasi, pretty much any +Str race is ok. You won't be using Wis powers anyway. Just put some spare points into Dex and Wis for Prime Quarry (paragon 15 Wis) and Rending Tempest (epic 17 Dex).
Paragon of victory is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, I think we may have a winner.

I guess I'd better put some of the build fixing advice into action..

So taking some advice on board lets try

character
Mul, Cleric|Ranger
Ranger Combat Talent: Prime shot (Hybrid)
Cleric option: Battle cleric lore

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 28 Fort: 24 Reflex: 21 Will: 24

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +9, History +4, Insight +9, Intimidate +5, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven weapon talent
Level 4: Hybrid talent
Level 10: Resiliance of stone

POWERS

ITEMS
Dragonriders Drakescale +3, Vanguard Executioners axe +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Horned Helm (heroic tier), Badge of the Berserker +3

I would take Paragon of Victory. You get +5 damage with an AP, THP when you drop enemies, an encounter MBA as an OA, and a minor action Righteous Brand. The D20 power is excellent leader + striker material as well.

Genasi is an excellent race choice if your character is level 11+ because of the Shocking Flame feat, which adds +2/4 lightning or fire damage depending on your manifestation. If you go with firesoul, then pick up a Firewind Blade (heavy blade only). If you go with stormsoul, pick whatever weapon enchant you want (probably frost) and use the racial power for an awesome nova boost.

If you're not a big fan of Genasi, pretty much any +Str race is ok. You won't be using Wis powers anyway. Just put some spare points into Dex and Wis for Prime Quarry (paragon 15 Wis) and Rending Tempest (epic 17 Dex).

Frost changes all damage to Cold, including that from Shocking Flame. So that is a bad suggestion.

Frost changes all damage to Cold, including that from Shocking Flame. So that is a bad suggestion.

Ah good point. I've been using a Flaming weapon lately and forgot that the two enchantments work differently.

So taking some advice on board lets try

character
Mul, Cleric|Ranger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 28 Fort: 24 Reflex: 21 Will: 24

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS
Level 4: Hybrid talent
Level 10: Resiliance of stone

POWERS

ITEMS
Dragonriders Drakescale +3, Vanguard Executioners axe +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Horned Helm (heroic tier), Badge of the Berserker +3

If you want to charge, you should really be a hybrid Barbarian instead. Also, ditch the Wilder theme for either Guardian, Ironwrought or Sohei. I would personally pick Ironwrought since minor and immediate actions are in short supply.

Here's a sample Cleric|Ranger build I played for a bit, to give you some ideas. You can swap double axe for a +3 proficiency weapon (drow long knife, double sword etc) if you want to be a bit more optimized.

[spoiler=sample build]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Tazok, level 16
Half-Orc, Ranger|Cleric, Paragon of Victory
Hybrid Cleric: Battle Cleric's Lore
Ranger Combat Talent: Prime Shot (Hybrid)
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Ironwrought

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 32 Fort: 30 Reflex: 27 Will: 25
HP: 111 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +17, Athletics +20, Perception +15, Dungeoneering +15, Intimidate +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +7, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Heal +10, History +7, Insight +10, Nature +10, Religion +7, Stealth +11, Streetwise +8, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Double axe)
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Axe) (retrained to Icy Heart at Level 12)
Level 4: Axe Expertise
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Cunning Stalker (retrained to Prime Punisher at Level 11)
Level 10: Hybrid Talent
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Called Shot
Level 14: Wintertouched
Level 16: Acolyte Power

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Mighty Hew
Hybrid daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Hybrid encounter 3: Ruffling Sting
Hybrid daily 5: Augment of War
Hybrid utility 6: Holy Celerity (retrained to Battle Fury Stance at Acolyte Power)
Hybrid encounter 7: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Hybrid utility 10: Word of Vigor
Hybrid encounter 13: Off-Hand Diversion (replaces Ruffling Sting)
Hybrid daily 15: Blade Cascade (replaces Jaws of the Wolf)
Hybrid utility 16: Agile Escape

ITEMS
Accurate symbol of Victory +2, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Strikebacks (heroic tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Helm of Able Defense (paragon tier), Boots of Quickness (paragon tier), Bloodiron Wyvernscale Armor +3, Frost Double axe +3, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[\spoiler]

I can see your point but this character has a lot of DR5/10 utility and daily powers so the elemental resistance would be wasted so a Genasi seems a iffy choice given the pointless int bonus.
As for the wisdom well Brand of the sun only goes off on a hit so he would still need a good wis also having access to the full choice of cleric powers is a bonus... if he picks up a holy symbol

I was hoping for advice pointing to PP for this guy

The Elemental Resist isn't the biggest selling point, it's just part of the package.  The INT bump is nice for skills and Reflex (if you go that route, though I wouldn't with the Ranger Hybrid) or it can give you no negative stat mods but isn't a huge deal here either.

Stormsoul, Causticsoul and Firesoul are great for damage boosting, Earthsoul for proning (combat advantage and control), Watersoul, Causticsoul and Windsoul for mobility, Cindersoul for damage mitigation (potentially for whol party even), etc. And with feats you can get bonuses to hit/damage, temps, riders (for example: Earthshock tricked out for reliability and minor action attack damage, or temps). And their goodness happens with either minor actions or move actions.

And Brand of the Sun and Moment of Glory go off regardless (effects lines) and Moment of Glory is great even if it hits no enemies. And even with access to "all" Cleric powers from an attack bonus standpoint, you still don't have a Simple Weapon for those powers nor the Charisma score for those riders.
Prime Shot does you absolutely no good right now, just hold off on that, until you have room for primer punisher/called shot, if you want to go that route, but even then, without twin strike, it's probably not worth it. It's too conditional in my experience.

You could instead MC Fighter for Battle Awareness, giving you another immediate attack and an extra skill.

Resilience of Stone and Invigorating Stride seems like a bit of an overlap, options are good to have, but you probably don't need both. I'd look for an alternative to one or the other. Feats are pretty valuable, as are immediate actions. Move actions are easier to come by (not to mention good for setting up a charge). So I'd probably ditch Resilience of Stone (I realize it might be the primary reason you're wanting to be a Mul). Instead you might pick up Swift Recovery or something.

I can see that... OK lets try... I am still not sold on Mul over Goliath I like Wilder for the lvl6 utility but sohei does look strong

character
Mul, Cleric|Ranger
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 28 Fort: 24 Reflex: 20 Will: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +14, Endurance +11, Nature +16, Athletics +16, Heal +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +9, History +4, Insight +9, Intimidate +5, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 4: Swift recovery
Level 10: Battle awareness

POWERS
Hybrid utility 6: Stream of life

ITEMS

I can see that... OK lets try... I am still not sold on Mul over Goliath

Me neither. I'll take a staff-fighting twin striking goliath ranger|cleric/Invoker Stoneblessed with reach 3 and cherry picked cleric implement powers, with double rolls for climb/jump for mobility, skill bumps to two trained skills, and a solid resistance when I need it, over any Mul.

I can see that... OK lets try... I am still not sold on Mul over Goliath

Me neither. I'll take a staff-fighting twin striking goliath ranger|cleric/Invoker Stoneblessed with reach 3 and cherry picked cleric implement powers, with double rolls for climb/jump for mobility, skill bumps to two trained skills, and a solid resistance when I need it, over any Mul.

Staffs are bad striker weapons
MC Invoker is bad on this Hybrid
Stoneblessed sucks
Reach 3 is overrated, and nigh irrelevent when you get PP/CS
Why the hell are you using implement powers
You spent a feat to double roll climb/jump checks? Really?
+2 to skills is nice I guess...
And some resist does not outway to ability to REMOVE stun.

Yeah, so...no.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
bobthehappyzombie, I would switch out several of your cleric attack powers. 

Healing strike for mighty hew probably.  That is not a huge deal, but you really are not going for an off defender build and if you have a good defender in the party then mighty hew is a good power to use when he gets attacked.  It prevents damage and is immediate.

I would probably go for fey beguiling or death's call over strengthen the faithful.  Even though your wisdom is not as high as your strength you will still hit more with fey beguiling and it has an interesting effect and death's call is immediate multitarget, though eventually you would need an implement with it to hit enough unless you are using inherent bonuses.

Fey beguiling can also be followed up with mighty hew the same round a lot of encounters if you are next to any ally and when you hit an enemy with it.

And at least consider word of vigor for level 10.  Its probably the best heoric tier utility power for most cleric hybrids and you are better off with it than with cleric attack powers that lets allies spend surges.

Paragon of victory is a very effective path and I would stick with it, but its a bit boring.
bobthehappyzombie, I would switch out several of your cleric attack powers. 

Healing strike for mighty hew probably.  That is not a huge deal, but you really are not going for an off defender build and if you have a good defender in the party then mighty hew is a good power to use when he gets attacked.  It prevents damage and is immediate..

The party is defender light... ie no proper defender lots of ranged party members so it could be tricky to use, though I do like the out of turn attack...

I would probably go for fey beguiling or death's call over strengthen the faithful.  Even though your wisdom is not as high as your strength you will still hit more with fey beguiling and it has an interesting effect and death's call is immediate multitarget, though eventually you would need an implement with it to hit enough unless you are using inherent bonuses..

Well I still might go for Goliath so if I grab more wisdom powers I can go with Goliath, fey beguiling looks good but I can't see deaths call on the builder is it level 7?

Fey beguiling can also be followed up with mighty hew the same round a lot of encounters if you are next to any ally and when you hit an enemy with it.

And at least consider word of vigor for level 10.  Its probably the best heoric tier utility power for most cleric hybrids and you are better off with it than with cleric attack powers that lets allies spend surges..

Word of vigour requires getting everone around you tricky to do with a ranged party. I also do like Enter the crucible for the big DR 10 all encounter.

Death's call is level 3, but its worth considering even for level 7, as is mighty hew if you keep healing strike at level 1.  

Level 7 is one of the weakest levels for strength cleric powers if you aren't using a simple weapon and you shouldn't be using a simple weapon.
Staffs are bad striker weapons
MC Invoker is bad on this Hybrid
Stoneblessed sucks
Reach 3 is overrated, and nigh irrelevent when you get PP/CS
Why the hell are you using implement powers
You spent a feat to double roll climb/jump checks? Really?
+2 to skills is nice I guess...
And some resist does not outway to ability to REMOVE stun.

Yeah, so...no.

Who cares what your [W] is when you're twin striking?
Hand of Radiance is a fine ranged power when you can't get to the enemies
reach 3 is overrated if you've never played a speed 5 character that couldn't get places
because clerics have good implement powers, Dismissal says hello
Didn't spend a feat, it's a racial feature
you already have pretty good chance of removing stun with Superior Will + Resilient Focus + an item bonus down the road.

So... yes. It's a perfectly fine build.
Death's call is level 3, but its worth considering even for level 7, as is mighty hew if you keep healing strike at level 1.  

Level 7 is one of the weakest levels for strength cleric powers if you aren't using a simple weapon and you shouldn't be using a simple weapon.

Got it thanks, I prefer fey beguiling... and I am coming around to mighty hew
OK this is where he is at

character
Mul, Cleric|Ranger
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 28 Fort: 24 Reflex: 20 Will: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +14, Endurance +11, Nature +16, Athletics +16, Heal +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +9, History +4, Insight +9, Intimidate +5, Religion +4, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 4: Swift recovery
Level 10: Battle awareness

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 1: Mighty hew
Hybrid utility 6: Stream of life
Hybrid encounter 7: Fey beguiling

ITEMS