Book Club Discussion - Mistshore - Chapters 14-17

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, only two weeks left of Mistshore.  I'm posting a little early this week because while people like Jaleigh are off having fun at GenCon, I'll be wasting the day away at Jury Duty.  Rest assured, good readers, that I will bring the justice of the gods to all evil-doers!

This section will cover Chapters 14-17, pages 194-251.

Looking forward to your thoughts, as always. 
I wanted to let everyone know that the next book we'll be reading after Mistshore is:

Skein of Shadows by Marsheila Rockwell

This is the sequel to The Shard Axe that we read last year.  Discussion will start at the beginning of September.
I finished this section last night after watching the D&D Keynote. A few notes on that:

A lot of big news for the Realms and the novel line.  Basically, there is going to be a big Realms event called the "Sundering" that will be detailed in a six-novel series with an all-star lineup that includes: R. A. Salvatore, Paul Kemp, Erin Evans, Richard Lee Byers, Troy Denning, and Ed Greenwood.  They didn't go into too much detail about what is actually going to happen, but did say it wouldn't be another Spellplague (which I assume means not another time jump).

They also said that they're going to release two Realms quests next year that will somehow allow for user feedback at the end.  What they were describing was that you, as the players, would play the quest and then submit your results at the end (basically, what happened in your version of the quest).  They will then aggregate the results and this will actually shape what happens in the Realms.  Ed Greenwood really stressed that they want the players to start determining the fate of the world.

Now, back to Mistshore!  A lot happened in this section.  I was surprised to see them kill Arrowall, but that made sense that he might have worn his security too thin.  Then I was even more surprised when Sull almost died.  Icelin almost killed herself with the spell to save him, and I'm curious to see how she's even going to fight Cerest in her current condition.  Ruen is also at a big disadvantage without his ring.  Of course, Cerest is also on his own unless the sisters decide to come back and help him, but they seemed pretty fed up with his antics.

This brings up a larger issue with Icelin - she's almost not functional as a mage and is killing herself every time she casts a spell.  She's going to have to find someone to help her if she's going to make it moving forward.  I guess we'll see in Spider and Stone how she copes with her condition.

It just occurred to me that Icelin and Shadowbane would probably make a good pair as they're both sufferring the effects of the Spellplague.  Fortunately for them, they're the only characters from the Waterdeep series to get sequels!

Dado provided a good synopsis of the major events in this section.  My only question is I thought the group decided to go to the Watch and essentially turn themselves in for protection and resolution.  Then they got sidetracked by Tarvin and Trik – I get that part.  And after that, they decided to confront Cerest.  I didn’t exactly understand why they abandoned the plans to turn themselves into the Watch and instead decided to confront Cerest?  Maybe the confrontation with Tarvin and then Trik made them rethink their strategy, but that wasn’t explained particularly well (or maybe I missed it.)

That’s a small matter though.  This story continues to be compelling and enjoyable.  The reader really feels for Icelin.  Her days on Faerun are numbered due to the debilitating spellplague.  And every time she casts a spell it’s like a year comes off her life.  Yet she does not complain or bemoan her lot in life.  She really is a hero, and I am excited to see how the story ends.

I wanted to let everyone know that the next book we'll be reading after Mistshore is:

This is the sequel to The Shard Axe that we read last year.  Discussion will start at the beginning of September.

Is this an e-book only?  If so, I might have to start thinking about getting a kindle or ipad or something. 
My favorite part of the book is actually in this section--well, end of last section and beginning of this one.  The Isle and its ghostly troupe were my way of showing how smaller worlds, pockets of safety (and strangeness) can spring up anywhere in the Realms.  I liked the idea of a world within a world.  

As for Icelin deciding to face Cerest instead of going to the Watch, let's just say they crossed a line when they hurt Sull.      

And as for Shadowbane and Icelin making a good pair, lol, I think Shadowbane has enough to worry about with the women in his life.  Wink

I finished this section last night after watching the D&D Keynote. A few notes on that:

A lot of big news for the Realms and the novel line.  Basically, there is going to be a big Realms event called the "Sundering" that will be detailed in a six-novel series with an all-star lineup that includes: R. A. Salvatore, Paul Kemp, Erin Evans, Richard Lee Byers, Troy Denning, and Ed Greenwood.  They didn't go into too much detail about what is actually going to happen, but did say it wouldn't be another Spellplague (which I assume means not another time jump).

They also said that they're going to release two Realms quests next year that will somehow allow for user feedback at the end.  What they were describing was that you, as the players, would play the quest and then submit your results at the end (basically, what happened in your version of the quest).  They will then aggregate the results and this will actually shape what happens in the Realms.  Ed Greenwood really stressed that they want the players to start determining the fate of the world.

For anyone who hasn't seen it and is curious about what's next for the Realms, I recommend watching the D&D keynote if it's still available.  Dado gave a good summary of what was discussed.  There is also discussion going on Candlekeep about the Realms panel that followed.  It sounds like there are interesting things ahead for the Realms.  I'm very curious to see where the Sundering novels are going to take us.  But for right now, I think I'm going to collapse into bed.  I'm running on very little sleep from the convention, but I wanted to make sure I stopped in here to see how the reading was going. Smile

Is this an e-book only?  If so, I might have to start thinking about getting a kindle or ipad or something. 

Like many of the sequels coming out, this is an eBook only.
I think this section is my favorite section so far. We learn a litte bit more about the mysterious Ruen and I think the performance that the ghost troupe put on made me a bit more sypmathetic to his character. 

This build up towards the climatic conflict that will end the story reminds me of the Dresden novels. Harry and the rest of the team are almost always battered, bruised, and exhausted when they have to face off against some evil entity, against what seems like impossible odds. Iceline is exhausted and hurt from her use of magic, Ruen has given up his ring, and Sull is out of the picture. I think this is the first point in the book where the characters really seemed "heroic" to me. They were faced with an opportunity to run away and lick their wounds or make a final stand and end this conflict, and they made the hard choice to take the fight to Cerest. 

By the way, I really enjoyed Cerest's role in the story. I am sure this will sound strange, but I never really felt he was evil. Fanatical I think is more likely how I would describe him. 

I have to admit that I did read on to the end of the book because Chapter 17 really pulled me in and had me wondering what would come next, so I'll see you all in the next discussion.