new to DnD

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
HEY everyone im new to dnd and im trying to DM and i need to think of a adventure for my friends to play any suggestions

Are you a member of DVD insider?  If you are, then you are in luck as Dungeon has many adventures.  Also, the back of the DMG has a short adventure for new dms, or you could pick up a copy of Dungeon Delve, which has many short scenarios you can expand.  Don't worry about miniatures or map tiles, you can use counters and a rough map sketched basically to scale ahead of time.
Rip off a movie or book or something.  By the time they realize what you've done, it will have spun out of control and they'll be having fun anyway.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

thank you for the suggestions im definetly gonna look into dnd insider and im definetly gonna  rip off a movie see how long it takes them to notice if you have any more suggestion kee them coming i really appreciate it
Send the adventurers into a dungeon to kill a boss. then, make the boss actually a good guy, and the quest giver a baddie.
Also, join the New DM's group. they have some good suggestions on many things
thats definetly a good idea of making the boss a good guy and who ever gave the quest bad
HEY everyone im new to dnd and im trying to DM and i need to think of a adventure for my friends to play any suggestions

The Citadel: yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/201...

All you need to do is add monsters.
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
thats definetly a good idea of making the boss a good guy and who ever gave the quest bad

That is basically the plot of every Shadowrun adventure EVER, so if your player's played that, it will work once.

The Citadel: yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/201...

All you need to do is add monsters.

Keep it simple. That's the best advice I can give if you're just starting out. Simple story. Straight-forward. Look in the dungeon master's guide and monster manual for a guideline on how tough the monsters should be. Keep in mind that if the players have to face several monsters in a row (or all at once), it becomes increasingly likely that they will die. If you already know what characters the players will play, make sure you throw a couple of encounters where their skills will be useful.

Here are some simple ideas that have been used a million times, but that still work:
1) Someone has been kidnapped. A reward is offered.
2) A criminal has a bounty on his head. Go find the criminal.
3) A package or letter or item needs to be delivered through a dangerous forest.
4) A mysterious murder(s). Investigate.
5) Someone buys some used equipment and finds a hidden map.
6) Somebody tells one of the players that they are the chosen one and sends them off to some distant place.
7) The players begin on a boat. Which crashes on some island where monsters or an evil cult wants to eat them or sacrifice them or some such.
8) On his deathbed, the player's father/brother/uncle/mentor reveals a hidden treasure or quest.

If the players succeed at any of these adventures, someone will be happy with them and someone will likely not be happy with them. Go from there. AND GOOD LUCK!
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
thank u all i did my first story the other night and it we i actualy ran to storys and every one loved