Mono green wolf deck help!?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I finally came up with a deck that I think would be pretty cool to try out. It's a mono deck (the one color I said I'd never use lol) that has a tribe of wolves (my favorite animal).

Creatures (24)
4x Young Wolf
4x Darkthicket Wolf
4x Timberpack Wolf
4x Wolfir Avenger
4x Briarpack Alpha
4x Wolfbriar Elemental
Spells (12)
2x Primal Rage
4x Beastmaster Ascension
2x Fable of Wolf and Owl
4x Howl of the Night Pack
Land (24)
24x Forest

Let me know what you guys think...
I like it. It is a really cool theme.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Druid (5th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength-16
Dexterity-13
Constitution-17
Intelligence-15
Wisdom-16
Charisma-14

Alignment:
Neutral Good A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias for or against order. However, neutral good can be a dangerous alignment when it advances mediocrity by limiting the actions of the truly capable.

Race:
Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Class:
Druids gain power not by ruling nature but by being at one with it. They hate the unnatural, including aberrations or undead, and destroy them where possible. Druids receive divine spells from nature, not the gods, and can gain an array of powers as they gain experience, including the ability to take the shapes of animals. The weapons and armor of a druid are restricted by their traditional oaths, not simply training. A druid's Wisdom score should be high, as this determines the maximum spell level that they can cast.

Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus (e-mail)

I like it. Theme decks are always cool. But you have a lot of cheap creatures, then a handful of expensive spells. Might need some mana ramp to get you from one end to the other faster. The faster you can pump out a big Howl of the Night Pack the better. :D Rampant Growth is a solid staple. Explosive Vegetation is also VERY amazing. will get you up there real quick. There are several more, shouldn't be that hard to find. 

Good luck, though! Wolves are pretty awesome.

EDIT:  Oh! Almost forgot. If you go for a splash of red, Immerwolf can help bump your guys up. Might be worth a look, who knows...
Kessig Cagebreakers could be interesting, though I don't know if it breaks your theme any. Plus, it works better if you have a way to get things into the graveyard anyway. Also a couple Feed the Pack could be cool, or possibly Parallel Lives.

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20795.jpg)

Kessig Cagebreakers could be interesting, though I don't know if it breaks your theme any. Plus, it works better if you have a way to get things into the graveyard anyway. Also a couple Feed the Pack could be cool, or possibly Parallel Lives.

I was actually going to put in Parallel Lives but the websites I was looking into were all out so I'm just sticking to what I got here thus far lol.
Here's a wolf deck I slammed together in another thread for someone. It includes one creature that is technically a hound. It is a little more aggresive than yours because I see wolves as a very aggresive creature type. I have always been fond of Wolfbriar Elemental though.

Beastmaster Ascension is really for a token deck. If you've attacked with seven wolves you should have either won the game or almost won the game. It is also a terrible topdeck. A simple spell like Overrun would be better.

Primal Rage doesn't make sense because your creatures aren't very big. What do you plan to trample over?

Wolfbriar Elemental, Feed the Pack, and Howl of the Night Pack all seem like fun cards, but if you don't have any ramp at all then how do you plan to play all of them? They are expensive spells.
Beastmaster Ascension is really for a token deck. If you've attacked with seven wolves you should have either won the game or almost won the game. It is also a terrible topdeck. A simple spell like Overrun would be better.

Primal Rage doesn't make sense because your creatures aren't very big. What do you plan to trample over?

Wolfbriar Elemental, Feed the Pack, and Howl of the Night Pack all seem like fun cards, but if you don't have any ramp at all then how do you plan to play all of them? They are expensive spells.

Beastmaster Ascension is good for tokens as well as a deck with heavy creature count like this one. I don't need to attack with 7 different wolves, just attack with enough wolves 7 times. Plus all the spells, though big, give me plenty of tokens to attack with so why not lol? Overrun is good... but temporary, I hate temporary.

Primal Rage is just a card to have just so I can get a permanent trample. Yeah my wolves are small (at first) but that's what the Beastmaster Ascension is for. That's why I'm only going to be running 2 of them.

Every single deck that I own is immensely fast to play, having Wolfbriar Elemental (who's not even that bad considering), Feed the Pack and Howl of the Night Pack may be expensive, however the way I see it, their price is pretty good for the results.

This deck does lack ramp which may be it's downfall but I really don't mind. I'm not looking for an amazing deck that will win every time (I already have a deck for that) I just want something fun to use :D
Mark of Sakiko I guess could be a good ramp card if I took out 

2x Feed the Pack and 2x Howl of the Nightpack
I never said you needed to attack with seven wolves at once. I said Ascension isn't worth it because your Wolves already do a decent ammount of damage. Ascension is really only good if the creatures you're swinging with do two damage at the most and are essentially free (like the token off of Nest Invader). Otherwise it is basically just a really slow Overrun, and you should just be playing something like that instead. Ascension is also a terrible card to draw late in the game, and it is unsynergistic to play it early because it stops you from playing a creature on that turn. Overrun is temporary, but it should end the game when you play it, unless your opponent has something like Fog or Cryptic Command.

Primal Rage just isn't worth a card in your deck, it would be better as another creature, or maybe a buff spell like Rancor.

And I'm not saying you shouldn't run expensive spells, I'm just saying that there is a bit of a dissynergy with running cheap creatures, with a large gap between them and your top end spells. It's fine to run a couple, but you don't want to draw hands where you're only able to play two or three creatures early game because you drew more than one of your expensive spells and then be stuck waiting awhile to play them. A deck like Elves can play more than a few expensive spells because they can generate a lot of extra mana.
I never said you needed to attack with seven wolves at once. I said Ascension isn't worth it because your Wolves already do a decent ammount of damage. Ascension is really only good if the creatures you're swinging with do two damage at the most and are essentially free (like the token off of Nest Invader). Otherwise it is basically just a really slow Overrun, and you should just be playing something like that instead. Ascension is also a terrible card to draw late in the game, and it is unsynergistic to play it early because it stops you from playing a creature on that turn. Overrun is temporary, but it should end the game when you play it, unless your opponent has something like Fog or Cryptic Command.

Primal Rage just isn't worth a card in your deck, it would be better as another creature, or maybe a buff spell like Rancor.

And I'm not saying you shouldn't run expensive spells, I'm just saying that there is a bit of a dissynergy with running cheap creatures, with a large gap between them and your top end spells. It's fine to run a couple, but you don't want to draw hands where you're only able to play two or three creatures early game because you drew more than one of your expensive spells and then be stuck waiting awhile to play them. A deck like Elves can play more than a few expensive spells because they can generate a lot of extra mana.

I see what you're saying
To be honest I'm not very good at decks hahaha this is my first one EVER!!!
What I basically wanted for this deck was A LOT of wolves do do some damage. That's why I put in all those Beastmaster Ascension and Howl of the Night Pack I just imagined an idea of overwhelming my opponent with a massive army of wolves that just so happened to be pumped up as well.

Thinking too much like a Timmy with this deck lol 
Cards like Howl of the Night Pack are really win conditions on their own (well, you need Forests of course). I think you should just cut it since you can already win with your wolves, and if you ever get enough mana you can play a huge Wolfbriar Elemental.

You might want to consider playing Mayor of Avabruck, since he flips to buff your wolves. Wandering Wolf would be good if you added some buff spells.
I daresay Windstorm will be needed in your deck too, because flyers will get damage through whilst you amass your pack long before you can kill.

Rampant Growth X4 and Harrow X4 should provide all the ramp you'll need in a deck for Howl of the Night Pack, and Sylvan Scrying can help you fetch out cards like Oran-Rief, the Vastwood and Pendelhaven, should you wish to give yourself more permanent means of boosting your creatures over Giant Growth and their ilk.

I would advise against enchantments in this deck. Mono has no way to protect them, and one counter, bounce, or destruction spell can hamstring you. This is why Overrun is better, as your opponent doesn't see it coming, can't react to it unless they're playing , and is usually dead when you play it, or knocked down a peg or two towards certain loss anyway.

I daresay Windstorm will be needed in your deck too, because flyers will get damage through whilst you amass your pack long before you can kill.

NERDY FLIERS OUTRACING GREEN POUNDERS? GOOD JOKE!

Rampant Growth X4 and Harrow X4 should provide all the ramp you'll need in a deck for Howl of the Night Pack, and Sylvan Scrying can help you fetch out cards like Oran-Rief, the Vastwood and Pendelhaven, should you wish to give yourself more permanent means of boosting your creatures over Giant Growth and their ilk.

Is spending time fetching lands really the best idea when you could be playing creatures to pound your opponent to pulp with? Pendlehaven and Oran-Rief aren't even very powerful in his deck. In fact, I'd say Rief is a negative since it comes into play tapped.

I would advise against enchantments in this deck. Mono has no way to protect them, and one counter, bounce, or destruction spell can hamstring you.

Do you not play enchantments unless you are playing a deck with four Sterling Grove in it? That is a rediculous statement, it's like saying you shouldn't play spells unless you can run Negate to stop them from getting countered, or you shouldn't run creatures without Mother of Runes or something similar. I better put Terra Eternal in all my decks, because I want to play land!

This is why Overrun is better, as your opponent doesn't see it coming, can't react to it unless they're playing , and is usually dead when you play it, or knocked down a peg or two towards certain loss anyway.

I agree that Overrun is much, much better than Ascension in this deck, but it's not true that other colors can't respond to it. For example, black can play Consume the Meek and white can play Safe Passage.

If your can find yourself a Master of the Wild Hunt, that card is a game-ender for a wolf deck.....

And now that Witchstalker is a card -- I know this thread started over a year ago -- it might be a solid add.

Here's my own idea for this deck:

Creatures (22)

4x Elvish Mystics

4x Young Wolf

2x Mayor of Avabruck

3x Witchstalker

4x Briarpack Alpha

3x Wolfbriar Elemental

2x Wolfir Silverheart

Spells (14)

3x Windstorm

2x Garruk Relentless

2x Parallel Lives

4x Raised by Wolves

3x Howl of the Night Pack

Lands (24)

24x Forest

CorrosiveButterz wrote:
Here's my own idea for this deck
How about, instead of posting in a thread that hasn't been posted in by the OP for 2 years (or anyone else for a month), you contribute to one of the ongoing current discussions in this Forum?

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

[quote="CorrosiveButterz"]

Here's my own idea for this deck:

[deck]...[/deck]

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged