Exalted missing a reminder rule

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Most triggered abilities in the comp rules have a reminder rule like this:

702.84b If a creature has multiple instances of annihilator, each triggers separately.

This is missing from Exalted:

702.81. Exalted

702.81a Exalted is a triggered ability. “Exalted” means “Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.”

702.81b A creature “attacks alone” if it’s the only creature declared as an attacker in a given combat phase. See rule 506.5.

I know its only a reminder rule and doesn't change how the ability works, but it seems like it should have it since most others do.

702.81c If a permanent has multiple instances of Exalted, each triggers separately.

that will still not shut the troll up ;)

but I agree, if other abilities have this rule Exalted should as well for consistency
proud member of the 2011 community team

but I agree, if other abilities have this rule Exalted should as well for consistency

Not all other triggered abilities have that rule. Hideaway, persist, living weapon, undying, and soulbond do not for example. It would not be any more or less consistent, but it would be useful.
I'm guessing it was lacking a reminder rule because it was impossible to get two instances of exalted on a creature outside of Planechase. Now that we have Sublime Archangel, this is much more likely to come up, and could use the reminder. (Even though it's right there on the card.)

Not all other triggered abilities have that rule. Hideaway, persist, living weapon, undying, and soulbond do not for example. It would not be any more or less consistent, but it would be useful.

Also, on most of those, having multiple instances doesn't actually do anything. If a card has two instances of persist, only one of them will actually do anything. So, I actually argue that those are consistent in why they don't need them while the ones that do have them are equally consistent because it does matter. (I hope that rambling made sense.) The only one of those that  see mattering is Hideaway, but it still isn't possible for multiple instances of that ability, so it once again doesn't matter.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Eldrazi Conscription makes the reminder rule for Annihilator relevant. It's possible to get two instances of Annihilator on a creature and not know how it works by looking at the cards.

Sublime Archangel has the reminder rule effectively written on the card. Ignoring Planechase, the only way to get multiple instances of Exalted on a creature reminds you that they trigger separately right there on the card. If you're actually looking at the cards and reading what they say, there is zero possibility for confusion, and no need for a reminder rule.

Reminder rules should be included because they're useful, not to be needlessly redundant. I don't think one should be added just because you can.
Rules Nut Advisor

Also, on most of those, having multiple instances doesn't actually do anything. If a card has two instances of persist, only one of them will actually do anything. So, I actually argue that those are consistent in why they don't need them while the ones that do have them are equally consistent because it does matter. (I hope that rambling made sense.) The only one of those that  see mattering is Hideaway, but it still isn't possible for multiple instances of that ability, so it once again doesn't matter.

But, that's not true!

Multiple hideaway abilities would remove multiple cards. Multiple living weapon abilities would make more tokens (all but the most recent of which would die very quickly). And persist, undying, and soulbond multiple times will trigger multiple times, so you need more than one Stifle to stop them from working. 
57193048 wrote:
srs rls mgr is srs
57125208 wrote:
"If you're having defense problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 soldiers but they're just 1/1."
Exalted doesn't have that reminder rule because it wouldn't answer the most commonly asked question about exalted: what happens if I control more than one permanent with the exalted ability?

That's such a basic question that I can't answer it on page 119 of the Comprehenive Rules. If you're the target audience for the Comp. Rules, you're definitely not someone who needs to be told that the exalted abilities on different permanents are totally independent of each other.

What I can do is avoid putting in a reminder rule that could be misread as being relevant that situation. Oh, multiple instances on the same permanent trigger separately . . .

Del Laugel

Editing manager, Magic TCG

I'm continually impressed by how much thought went into those things that initially seemed like mere oversight.
Exalted doesn't have that reminder rule because it wouldn't answer the most commonly asked question about exalted: what happens if I control more than one permanent with the exalted ability?

That's such a basic question that I can't answer it on page 119 of the Comprehenive Rules. If you're the target audience for the Comp. Rules, you're definitely not someone who needs to be told that the exalted abilities on different permanents are totally independent of each other.

What I can do is avoid putting in a reminder rule that could be misread as being relevant that situation. Oh, multiple instances on the same permanent trigger separately . . .

Thanks for the explanation.
Sign In to post comments