Two types of assassins?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is that right ?  When I mess around with the character builder their is two types, one gets poison use and the other does not ?  Why. What does the non poison use one get ?  Also when using the compendium it does not list all of the poisons. Why. How can I get a complete list of poisons for 4 e

There are two different assassin classes - the Assassin and the Executioner. The Assassin is built on the original framework of the 4E classes, while the Executioner is built on an Essentials frame.
They do things in different ways - they first is someone who's sold part of their soul to the Shadowfell for access to shadow magic and the second is a completely martial class who basically sneaks around and does the stabbity thing.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Ok but why would the one who sneaks around not get poison use ?
Basically, the orinal assassin, or Ossassin, is an arcane, magical killer, using shadowmagic and teleportation along with weapons. The Essassin, or Essentials assassin, is a martial base, using completely physical attacks and poisons.
Expanding on that, there's really only ONE assassin.  That would be the Essentials version, because the other one DOESN'T WORK.

There are two different assassin classes - the Assassin and the Executioner. The Assassin is built on the original framework of the 4E classes, while the Executioner is built on an Essentials frame.
They do things in different ways - they first is someone who's sold part of their soul to the Shadowfell for access to shadow magic and the second is a completely martial class who basically sneaks around and does the stabbity thing.

Besides the assassin a growing number of classess have new builds
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
How does the other not work. The E assassin. Has no daily?
First of all, both types can use poison.  Anyone can use poisons, and both assassins are good at making the most of them.

The Essentials assassin (Executioner) has an extra set of poisons that it gets instead of daily powers.  These special poisons can only be used once a day, and cost nothing to make - basically they are daily powers in poison form.  Only Executioners get access to these poisons, although an original assassin can take a feat to swap a daily power for a poison.  The Executioner also has all of it's encounter powers rolled into one big pile of extra damage that they can add onto one hit per encounter.  All other times you'll be using at-wills.

The original Assassin has "normal" encounter and daily powers, but it can still apply regular poisons to its weapon, same as a rogue or fighter or anyone could.  But those poisons are consumable items they have to buy.  Some of the encounter and daily powers have the poison keyword, so think of them as having poison already built in.

The two types work very differently, so you should read up on both before you decide which one to play.
How does the other not work. The E assassin. Has no daily?

The E-assassin can actually KILL THINGS.  The other one just hops around the field whining at his allies not to steal his kill.
Slightly more mechanical answer-
Instead of doing more damage right away the O-ssassin adds shrouds to a target that lets him do bounus damage at a latter time. So if the fighter kills the monster before the O-ssassin acctivates his shrouds then he has not done any extra damage. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Thank you all for the answers it has helped big time....with the shrouds. Can the assassin (if I read this right). Put up to 4 shrouds on one baddie .
Example rd 1.  Attack plus a shroud damage. Hit
Rd 2. Attack plus shroud.  Hit. So the assassin get attack damage and two shrouds damage

A d only if the assassin misses does one of the shrouds come off ?

Again thanks 
If you INVOKE the shrouds, they ALL come off.  Hit or miss, the only thing that changes is the damage they deal.  The assassin shown in DR379 is utter crap for anything other than foisting your share of team monster's attention off on your allies.
Assassin might look interesting, but you'll likely not have much fun with it after a few sessions...

The Ossassin maximizes damage by hitting with 4 shrouds on the target.
4 shrouds usually take 4 turns.
Unless the target is a solo (or maybe evasive elite), the target will be dead within 4 rounds.

Furthermore, maximizing damage once every 4 rounds is...lame.

However, hybridding or MCing into Ossassin may be a complement to a character. For instance, a rogue that hybrids or MCs into Ossassin can pick up the Crual Shadows feat to maintaint Combat Advantage on the target of the shrouds at all times. 

A character that uses a 2d weapon (great club, falchion, spiked-chain, gouge...) would benefit from MCing into Assassin to get Devastating Ki Focus.
It's a matter of taste, really. I've played an Ossassin from level 1-20 without multiclassing or anything. 
And it was a blast! Sure, you might not do as much damage as some other strikers, but for me and my group it's never been about who does the most damage. For us it's about having fun roleplaying. 
I was a d8: Deep, Dark and Cynical... but apparently they changed the quiz...

Druid.jpg

12.jpg

Member since April 2001
it's about having fun roleplaying.

WHAT MANNER OF HELL HAVE YOU SEEN.

The kind that would cause you to claw your own eyes out and cry out to all you call holy... 
To quote Alice Cooper: "Welcome to my nightmare, I think you're gonna like it..." ;)

Druid.jpg

12.jpg

Member since April 2001
it's about having fun roleplaying.

To be fair, the Ossassin has a ton of unique flavour, while the Executioner ends up being an awkward niche thats i guess closest to Ezio in archetype, but doesnt quite get it right imo.

Unfortunately beyond Shrouds being flawed, most their encounter powers are noticibly weaker compared to other strikers, though this kicks in more around paragon.
Expanding on that, there's really only ONE assassin.  That would be the Essentials version, because the other one DOESN'T WORK.

Well, the truth is the essentials one doesn't work well either. Everyone plays hybrid Executioners because the pure class on its own sucks.

The original Assassin at least has some decent pure-class builds, though they are tricky to put together.
While the pure Ossassin isn't any great shakes in the striker department, it does make sweet hybrid fodder. I've been playing a charge optimized Ossassin/Kinglock, and it is a blast. At will teleports, stealthy as all get out, and the curse damage gets his striker function covered. Admittedly, I only have the minimum required Ossassin powers, but I use those for mostly a desirable effect. He's highly Eldritch Strike/Charge optimized, and I use the Enc/Daily for lots of blasts and bursts.
A range 7 TP stealthy striker/controller? Yes, please!

Well, the truth is the essentials one doesn't work well either. Everyone plays hybrid Executioners because the pure class on its own sucks.

The original Assassin at least has some decent pure-class builds, though they are tricky to put together.

Thank you for proving my point.  Executioners can be used PERIOD, the original is a waste of keystrokes. Undecided
the original is a waste of keystrokes. 

To me the Essential classes are one giant crapstorm...

It all lies in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Druid.jpg

12.jpg

Member since April 2001
Sign In to post comments