Dungeon Command: Solo Scenario - Behold the Beholder

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

I was looking for a way to test my constructed warband.  With Magic, there’s the typical "Goldfish" test, however I didn’t think that the same sort of approach would work with warbands, so I came up with a scenario that I think will be a reasonable test of a warband.   It uses a single Beholder miniature that is the enemy faction.

Scenario: Kill the Beholder

Setup: You set up the board the way you normally would (either with two set of tiles per normal or, if you only have one Dungeon Command set, then set up the tiles as outlined in the “Your First Game” section on page 5 of the rules).  You start in your starting area and the Beholder starts in its starting area, per the appropriate rules.

Game Play: The game proceeds as it normally does however the Beholder follows a simple AI that is detailed below the description of the Beholder creature.

Beholder

Level 14
HP: 200
Melee: 80 [Bite]
Speed: 6
Flying

Eye Rays –
1) Searing Ray: Ranged 60 (10)
2) Disintegrate Ray: Ranged 40 (10) - If the creature takes damage, then it takes another 40 at the start of the controller's next turn.
3) Confusion Ray: Choose one ememy creature within 5 squares and slide the creature 3 squares, then make a melee attack.
4) Hold Ray: Target becomes tapped and cannot untap until the end of its controller's next turn.

Special Abilities:
The Beholder can use ranged attacks while adjacent to an enemy.
Ray attacks are minors, but each one can only be used once per activation.
The Beholder can tap to remove one attached card.

Beholder AI:
If the Beholder is adjacent to an enemy, melee attack that enemy, then move.
If the Beholder not adjacent to an enemy then move and melee attack if the adjacent to an enemy.
If the beholder has moved but is not adjacent to an enemy and has an attached card, it will tap to remove one attachment.
After movement it uses its Eye Rays one at a time, in order, on any targets within line of sight.  It will always select the nearest enemy that it has not yet damaged this activation (so if a target avoided an eye ray by tapping to use cover, and the Beholder has remaining attacks it will try again).

The Beholder always moves the shortest number of movement points towards the nearest enemy avoiding hazardous terrain.

Determine the nearest enemy by shortest distance as defined under “Distances and Counting” on Page 13 of the rules (tie break using farthest away from their start area, then highest level, then a coin toss/die roll).

That’s it.  I haven’t managed to beat the Beholder yet, but I’ve come close.  I’m expecting that a better player with a constructed deck should be able to manage it.  Please give this a try and give me feedback.

I’ve tried to make the Beholder a well rounded solo.  I don’t think it’s particularly susceptible to any one specific strategy but I’d like to hear how you do.

Near as I can tell, most creatures get about 20HP/level. There are deviations, and the CON keyword adds extra. Speaking of keywords, it should have some.

I can see why you wouldn't be able to beat it, those stats and attacks are hefty. Unless you are able to snipe and run, you're just going to lose creatures left and right.

My recommendation, since you're testing; drop damage numbers by 25% (searing ray to 40). Make Disintegrate Ray Range 5. Make Confusion Ray Range 10, skip the melee attack part of it. I think your goal is to try to reach a 50/50 win loss ratio approximately. If you're winning too much, increase the numbers a bit.
Near as I can tell, most creatures get about 20HP/level.

Yes, I started out with 280HP but couldn't get near that in playtesting so I lowered it to 200.

There are deviations, and the CON keyword adds extra. Speaking of keywords, it should have some.

Good point, although since Order cards aren't being played on it, it may be moot - still Evil, Abberant seem appropriate.  Maybe DEX, INT as well?

My recommendation, since you're testing; drop damage numbers by 25% (searing ray to 40). Make Disintegrate Ray Range 5. Make Confusion Ray Range 10, skip the melee attack part of it. I think your goal is to try to reach a 50/50 win loss ratio approximately. If you're winning too much, increase the numbers a bit.

I was going in the opposite direction (starting high and then dropping the numbers if I lose too much).

Is there a reason you are suggesting skipping the melee attack?  In some respects I suppose it's unnecessary as I've given him the ability to use use ranged attacks while adjacent to enemy characters however I thought the melee attack was in keeping with the original RPG version.

I think the Melee attack isn't needed, with the rays doing high damage as it is, I think the Bite attack is too much damage. Maybe lower the Bite to 20-30 Damage. I like DEX and INT...Evil, Abberant...200 HP seems about right if you lower the bite to what I said. 

The Eye Rays could use some changing aswell...I mostly agree with RPGChicago though.
Searing Ray - 40 Damage (Range 10)
Disintegrate Ray - 20 Damage, if hits (attach an "Order Card") Deal 20 at the start of Each Activation (Range 10)
Confusion Ray - Choose one ememy creature within 10 squares and slide the creature 5 squares.
Hold Ray -  Target becomes tapped and cannot untap until the end of its controller's turn

Searing seemed like it did too much damage to be used each turn, Disintegrate now fuctions off something like a Bleed Order card which means its ongoing and can be dealt with. Confusion doesnt grant a Free Melee attack, range increased (Maybe just for pure throwing Melee attacks out of range/into Bad Terrain) Hold Ray shouldn't stop them from playing Order Cards on that Creature, just from making an Attack that turn, so they will untap at the END of the players turn, not at the start.   

For the AI, maybe a rule of...If Adjacent to an enemy, and has yet to move, while it is equiped with an Order Card, it will move away from Adjacent Enemy (Staying Within Eye Range) and Tap its self to Remove the Order Card (Hince INT and stressing using its ability rather then Attacking)

Other then that I think its is a great Idea! I may come up with a few for some of my Dragons Minis! :D Are you using a Beholder Eye Tryant for this idea?
My Commander Decks Zur The En-hancer Omnomnom
My recommendation, since you're testing; drop damage numbers by 25% (searing ray to 40). Make Disintegrate Ray Range 5. Make Confusion Ray Range 10, skip the melee attack part of it.

Is there a reason you are suggesting skipping the melee attack?  In some respects I suppose it's unnecessary as I've given him the ability to use use ranged attacks while adjacent to enemy characters however I thought the melee attack was in keeping with the original RPG version.

Well, make it more of a telekinesis ray. Plus the confusion effect on the Umber Hulk is a standard action, tapping it. Its too strong in its current form. It should be used to expose vulnerable pieces and repel significant melee threats.
Hi all.  I just wanted to see if you ever tweaked this scenario so that it worked really well.  Seems like a great idea.
I've tested this a few more times and really like it.  I appreciate the feedback from RPGChicago, but found that his suggestions made the scenario too easy, so I've gone back to using the original post.

Go ahead and give it a try. It's difficult but not impossible. 
Sounds great.  I'll give it a shot.

BTW, anyone know what DDM beholder would be a good miniature to use?  I know there are several and in several sizes.  I want one that will work good on the Dungeon Command board.  Thanks.
I've been using the Beholder Eye Tyrant from the Collector's set but any one would probably do except the Ultimate Eye Tyrant from Legendary Evils (it's huge instead of large) and the Beholder Eye Tyrant from Dangerous Delves (which has a notoriously soft base that won't stand up straight).
So I played this with Heart of Cormyr and beat it the first time, getting very lucky with my card draw.  First drop was an Elf Archer and the Dragon.  Dragon moved in with into the fray and hit for 100 with killing strike.  Dragon then got eliminated.  Archer hit for 10 next turn and ran.  Beholder then eliminates archer.  Next I was able to level up the War Mage and deploy Behind Enemy Lines, placed in the far corner.  War Wizard hits twice with Quick Shot and then gets elimiated.  Then Earth Guardian sneaks up from behind a wall for the finish.

Great solo and it is do-able.  Again I got lucky with my card draw.  Only thing that I think is a little much is the bite for 80.  I might trim that down but that is about it.  I feel like his rays are crazy powerful as is.

Thanks for the great solo.  I hope someone else comes up with another that is interesting/fun.    
Sign In to post comments