Playtester Profile with Newbie DM

In this week's Playtester Profile we sit down with Newbie DM, aka Enrique Bertran, and take a closer look at the DM side of the D&D Next playtest.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

He certainly has some good points.

Especially how easing the DM role is extremely important to drawing in new players.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

I agree, Val.  I'm looking for a lot of what the spotlight DM mentions.  I loved the ease of DMing 4e, but I want a faster game that balances combat, exploration and social interaction more fully.   Not a fan of powers.  I like the idea that there are abilities, themes, backgrounds all which guide players to come up with ideas rather than picking a power.   Can't wait for new playtest material. 

A Brave Knight of WTF

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

I Agree with Valdark. If a DM has his hands free,he can put more effort into descriptions and consistency. this means that the game feel more  "real" and hook the players.
DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.
I agree with a lot of what Enrique said. Making DMing easier is a major feature Next has to pull off. Period. No excuses.

If the entry requirements to be DM stays so high, we will see another influx of accidentally bad DM like years past. And there is a difference between accidentally and purposely bad DMs.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Also no new DMs means no new players
Enrique absolutely nailed it. If D&D Next isn't easy to DM, it will be DOA. I really hope the next playtest comes with better DM support.

I've said this a hundred times: Easy to DM = more DM's = more players = more D&D
Thanks guys!

I hope WOTC listens to some of this feedback.  I think it's crucial for DMs to be well taken care of.

I've said this a hundred times: Easy to DM = more DM's = more players = more D&D

I can't agree with that more.  Veteran DMs know they can break the rules or violate suggestions when they need to, and they how to do it without being inherently unfair to their players (the good ones, anyway).

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

For previous editions, I've reduced the essence of DMing to four single-sided size-twelve-font pages, which I've handed to twelve-year-olds, who were then able to pull off credible DMing. Four pages. That's what DDN needs to be aiming for. Leave all optional rules optional, external to that essential core.
For previous editions, I've reduced the essence of DMing to four single-sided size-twelve-font pages, which I've handed to twelve-year-olds, who were then able to pull off credible DMing. Four pages. That's what DDN needs to be aiming for. Leave all optional rules optional, external to that essential core.

I think a number of people would be interested in seeing that.

Edit: your four pages, that is.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Making DMing easier is a major feature Next has to pull off retain.

Fixed that. 4E already made DMing a blast and supremely easy. Then again...

Very true.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."