Void Stalker and other interactions

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Afternoon,

Void Stalker.

Now this thing interacts with stuff like Saving Grasp and the like, but what are the timings and stuff regarding this effect, I don't want to get caught out activating something in the wrong order. On this note, Fiend Hunter can do similiar things with the same effects right?

Now that's out the way, is there anything clever with Void Stalker and flickering that I might need to know about?

Thanks =]
I want to be Cultured.
Afternoon,

Void Stalker.

Now this thing interacts with stuff like Saving Grasp and the like, but what are the timings and stuff regarding this effect, I don't want to get caught out activating something in the wrong order. On this note, Fiend Hunter can do similiar things with the same effects right?

Now that's out the way, is there anything clever with Void Stalker and flickering that I might need to know about?

Thanks =]

All that you're mentionning works. It's not too complicated : you simply have to put the creature's ability on the stack (Void Stalker by activating it and Fiend Hunter by having it enter the battlefield), and then before it resolves, respond to that ability by bouncing or flickering the creature.

In the case of the Stalker, that will make it so the creature you targeted gets shuffled in its owner's library, but not the Stalker; since it changed zones, the game considers it a new object and the ability cannot find the Void Stalker it refers to.

In the case of the Fiend Hunter, it will make it so that the opposing creature you first targeted gets exiled permanently. Bouncing or flickering the Fiend Hunter triggers its ability that would return the creature, and that ability goes on top of the stack on top of the exile ability and resolves first, returning nothing.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
If you activate Void Stalker, then while that ability is on the stack, respond with a bounce/flicker spell...you will end up with the Void Stalker in your hand/on the field and your opponent's creature in his library.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
But remember that you will most likely need to respond with your unsummon immediately after the ability is placed on the stack. You can't wait for your opponent to do nothing then decide you're unsummoning. If you activate the ability, and pass priority without doing anything... And your opponent doesn't respond, ability resolves and it's too late to Unsummon. Obviously, if your opponent does respond you get more time with which to use Unsummon or similar spells/abilities. 

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

In the case of the Fiend Hunter, it will make it so that the opposing creature you first targeted gets exiled permanently. Bouncing or flickering the Fiend Hunter triggers its ability that would return the creature, and that ability goes on top of the stack on top of the exile ability and resolves first, returning nothing.

Thanks for the post, just to clear the FH thing up, the following is true I presume...

1)Summon Fiend Hunter - Select target for its 'enter...' effect.
2)Respond to that with a Cloudshift, targetting the FH,
3)At this point it tries to return their creature but can't, and fizzles out
4)Hunter then enters the field again and I can select another target for his effect

Right?

This came up in a thread on a deck I posted, but it wasn't too clear and I thought the only way to get that sort of use out of FH was with unsummon effects... If not that's pretty cool.

Thanks for the advice gents =]

I want to be Cultured.

Thanks for the post, just to clear the FH thing up, the following is true I presume...

1)Summon Fiend Hunter - Select target for its 'enter...' effect.
2)Respond to that with a Cloudshift, targetting the FH,
3)At this point it tries to return their creature but can't, and fizzles out
4)Hunter then enters the field again and I can select another target for his effect

Right?

This came up in a thread on a deck I posted, but it wasn't too clear and I thought the only way to get that sort of use out of FH was with unsummon effects... If not that's pretty cool.

Thanks for the advice gents =]

Yes, and then add:
5)The target for the "enter..." effect (selected in step 1) gets exiled - permanently, since the Fiend Hunter who exiled it, no longer exists (due to step 2)
Yeah, I meant that in part 3...

Lovely, thank you very much kind sirs. The enjoyment I get from my Bant Flicker will now improve accordingly =p
I want to be Cultured.