[Commander's Arsenal] 8/9/12 Previews

83 posts / 0 new
Last post

Source: Magic Arcana

set contents

• 18 premium foil cards

• 10 oversized premium foil cards

• 120 UltraPRO foil card sleeves

• 20 double-sided Battle Marks (+ and –)

• A life counter that goes up to 99

So, it seems we will be having a new set of foil oversized generals to work with. Definitely neat, but I think the resources and excess foil material should've been used to put 10 more USEABLE cards in the set, especially at the $75 price tag. Foil alt art Sylvan Library is definitely sweet, but it is gonna take many more foils of that caliber in order for this set to be worth it in my eyes. Hopefully each of the alt art foils are worthwhile here. I am also curious, since the list says there are 18 premium foils, though the picture has 4 packs of sleeved cards there, it looks as if there may be more cards than just 18.
That life counter is sweet. I want this just for that. I assume a $75 price tag means we'll see a good number of valuable cards in here as well.

My guess (hope) for the 4 packs of cards: In addition to the 18 premium cards, we'll also get normal versions of the 10 oversized cards, bringing the total number of cards to 28, 7 per pack.
As an Azusa IRL for EDH myself I love to see foil, and it looks like immediately getting really, really good cards for this. We'll have to wait and see what the other ummm.... nvm numbers, cards are but foil Sylvan Library is a good start
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
$75 is expensive, and just 18 cards (plus 10 commander cards) is a bit weak
proud member of the 2011 community team
IMAGE(http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/arcana/1035_0rk0oi4h5s.jpg)

I swear that's Command Tower
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
Pretty cool, although I didn't expect that kind of price tag.
mtgcommander.net has The Mimeoplasm up
very disappointing, even when it is now foil
ugh oversized cardboard again pleaes wish they would get rid of them. they are pointless heck they don't even make card sheets to display them in binders anymore.  they just sit in a box with all the rest.  

with a 75$ price tag yeah there better be some great foils in there.  so far it's not worth it.  A foil mineoplasm not worth it, a foil azusa another dissapointment. the foil sylvan library is ok i like that. come on blizz blow our minds with this. don't make them cra ppy like some of the vault sets 
Sylvan Library is a card I'll play almost every time if I'm playing green. If we want to maintain that expectation, this list of 18 cards would be very worth the pricetag for me:

Armageddon
Enlightened Tutor
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Force of Will
Bribery
Time Stretch
Necropotence
Demonic Tutor
Mind Twist
Insurrection
Wild Ricochet
Obliterate
Sylvan Library
Primeval Titan
Scavenging Ooze
Vindicate
Command Tower
Crucible of Worlds
force of will card will never happen. that card is a huge staple in vintage and would bring things down for sure

force of will card will never happen. that card is a huge staple in vintage and would bring things down for sure

Maybe not in this, but we will get a Force of Will reprint at some point. Quote me on this. Even if it's just a judge promo, there is no logical reason for them not to reprint it and put more in the secondary market. It is, by far, the biggest barrier of entry for Legacy and Vintage that is not on the reserve list.
Ouch.  I was expecting something closer to the price of a deckbuilder's toolkit, and being full of the more often used commons and uncommons, such as Sol Ring and Darksteel Ingot.

Maybe that joke about having to sell a kidney wasn't all that far off after all.
...and that was the sound of people's hopes for a product on par with with the Commander preconstructed decks, crushed.
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
Okay, so.  How many people are fans of the oversized cards?  Because I am not one of them.  I think it's just a silly ploy, and it prevents my stack from sitting there nicely and neat.  Besides, I have trouble enough figuring out how to keep my Vanguard cards nice and undamaged.....

Oh, I know, I'm supposed to buy one of the "special commander/planechase" boxes that can carry both, but I don't want to buy one every time I throw a new deck together.
yay for losing internet connection just when I had typed an elaborate and calm response voicing my criticism in a rational way.

So in a nutshell:

Some of the features are neat (lifecounter, sleeves, foil cards), BUT the oversized cards are just useless. Seriously Wizards, stop doing oversized cards. Nobody, N O B O D Y wants them. They used to be cool in Planechase, but now they are just a waste of cardboard.

And 75$? Are you serious? Usually I am a big fan of all the special products you have put out over the last few years, but this? This is just a rip off. In what universe is this, excuse me, pile of junk worth 75 bucks?

And it being a limited print run means that in most stores it will most likely be even more expensive. I'd estimate that my store will demand around 120 Euros for it...

Bad move, Wizards. Bad move.
$75? Talk about putting the "Arse" in "Arsenal"...
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
So wait... a few oversized cards and a handful of sleeves more than DOUBLES the price of this over a FTV?? ($75 vs $35) Yeah ok you get 3 extra foils (18 vs 15) but really Wizards? 

This can go 1 of 2 ways; the rest of the foils are awesome and it ends up costing almost double again to actually acquire (which strikes me as defeating the point of a product like this) OR the rest of the foils are middling to good and a few months down the line places are trying to sell off excess stock at a reduced price.

I really hope that 6 months down the line they aren't announcing that they're stopping making Commander products due to lack of sales... They really have priced themselves out of the market here...

(Afterthought: will these use the FTV foilling process? Because if not then that's a lot of money for cards that are just going to curl to all hell) 
I missed the part about this being limited edition. Is that true?

In which case, I think we can expect the likes of magicmadhouse, who shamelessly sell FtV at £100+, to try their hand at £150 for this one.

Could not be more disgusted.

So... speculation as to the remaining 8 legends: I'm thinking there are in total one of each color, and five multicolor. My guesses as to the monocolor ones:

Braids, cabal minion
Zirilan of the Claw
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner

Kinda neat for that lifecounter, those sleeves and the cards. But the oversized card is pointless and at that price even me who usually just throw my money at Magic products will hesitate.

So far it doesnt seem worth it. As if i could get my hand on it even if i wanted.

In which case, I think we can expect the likes of magicmadhouse, who shamelessly sell FtV at £100+, to try their hand at £150 for this one.

"This will be a limited print run product, meant for the collectors and the avid Commander players."

So yeah, us Brits will probably not stand much chance of getting it for less than £150. Magicmadhouse just put FTV: Realms up for pre-order for £120 so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they try and charge closer to £175 for it...

I'm sure the original announcement said (or at least implied) that this was meant to be something for all Commander players... I think I'd have prefered a £20/£30 set that reprint some of the 'must include' commons/uncommons and then just a selection of generals and other cards and a few sleeves... 

Yup. Right in the first paragraph of the Arcana announcement. I quote: "This will be a limited print run product, meant for the collectors and the avid Commander players."

And I quote again (this time for truth):

A few points:

1.  I dig the life counter a lot, not to mention the button counters.  The sleeves are probably ok, unless they're made by Ultra Pro.  If that's the case they'll fall apart quickly.

2.  If they're going to be brazen enough to charge $75, I'd bet that there's some really good stuff in there.  Hopefully, the good stuff won't be oversized jank, which leads me to my third point.

3.  Where is the market research that shows that people like oversized cards?  I don't use them, and I haven't played with anyone who does.  Since the set is so expensive, I wonder if these oversized cards will have their regular-sized counterparts included in the set.  They could easily package this in a similar manner to the Duel Decks, and have a regular foil as the face card.  It just seems like this is a waste of time and money for Wizards to keep printing these things.  Was anyone super excited to get oversized cards from their Helvault? 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

The sleeves are probably ok, unless they're made by Ultra Pro.

They are:

• 120 UltraPRO foil card sleeves

[<o>]
So... speculation as to the remaining 8 legends: I'm thinking there are in total one of each color, and five multicolor. My guesses as to the monocolor ones:

Braids, cabal minion
Zirilan of the Claw
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero

Isn't Braids banned as a commander?

When Commander's Arsenal was announced I was hoping for something nearer the original commander pre-cons or a deckbuilder's toolkit for commander. 
It's just something hastly done in response to the Commander deck's success. The real good stuff (new pre-con decks) will be done yearly starting 2013.
[<o>]
I just want the + and - counters. They should just sell the baggy of 20 for like $4 in stores, and I'd totally buy it. But unless one of the foils is Horobi, Death's Wail, I'm never buying the full set.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
If the cards are worth 75 then they are probably too powerful for my playgroup, so i cant use them anyway.
maybe a nice alt art for a Jace, the Mind Sculptor to help with price tag on this.  For some reason there are going to be some junky legends in here that you can get cheap in other stores
Maybe the theory is that a playgroup will get together, buy one, and split the cards? The price is really a sticking point for me, for all that I know I'm not really the target audience for this since I only have one Commander deck and it's decidedly mediocre and non-pimped.

As for what might be in it, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they put in the Elder Dragons, even if only as the oversized cards.

Braids, cabal minion
Zirilan of the Claw
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero

One of those is banned. The other three aren't format staples.
I do not like this. I dig the sleeves and the counters, the life counter too. I actually like it as a whole, but I wouldn't pay more that $40 for it.
I do not like this. I dig the sleeves and the counters, the life counter too. I actually like it as a whole, but I wouldn't pay more that $40 for it.

I have to agree. I have disposable income, but that does not mean I actually WASTE it. The list of cards would have to be great, and stuff I don't have. Unlikely
it's foil original duals in modern frame!

Say wha...!?!

With the MTGO art, too!
But seriously though. I was really looking forward to this, and then I saw the $75 price tag. For that, they better include some very good, mildy expensive, hard to find cards.

Volrath's Stronghold
Dragon Mage 
Eladamri's Call
Academy Rector
Demonic Tutor
Vindicate
Damnation
Tooth and Nail
Mirari's Wake
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

I'm aware that most of these will not get printed (not sure on the reserved list standings), however, it would be nice to get a few of these cards.
Maybe it will include this little cycle:

Flooded Strand
Polluted Delta
Bloodstained Mire
Wooded Foothills
Windswept Heath

...I can dream.
This is the Commander supplementary product, not the Legacy supplementary product.

I'm aware that most of these will not get printed (not sure on the reserved list standings), however, it would be nice to get a few of these cards.

The only ones of those that are on the reserved list are Volrath's Stronghold and Academy Rector, the rest are fair game.

I honestly don't know what cards they could put in it that would make me want to shell out that kind of money for it... I'll probably just pick up some of the nicer alt art foils as singles...

Actually I take that back; foil versions of the entire crew of the Weatherlight would probably be enough to part me from my cash but since Karn is on the Reserve List it won't happen. 

I expect Niv-Mizzet will be one of the oversize foils, either him or the FTV art Nicol Bolas (but that could be seen as detracting from the collector's value of FTV: Dragons). 
does the reserve list even apply to products like this?
I mean Karn, Silver Golem has been reprinted in a FTV
personally i thikn they are going to give a good draw engine for each color and several decent commanders people have wanted.  I feel like phyrexian arena, and mystic snake could make the cut for the pack and they aren't going to make the whole thing worth more with tossing in the tutors.  i feel they may make a vault: tutors someday but i doubt they'll reprint the tutors or several of the card listed before liek force of will.
Why arent there oversized sleeves for the oversized cards?!

I seriously doubt I will be getting this. I can pretty much say that unless I win the lottery or something I wont be getting it. And if I do win the lottery I will probably be too busy flying my jetpack or something anyway.

I wouldnt use the sleeves, counters or life counter. Unless Uril, Rhys or Sharuum is in there I wouldnt use the oversized cards. I doubt I would use all of the other cards (whatever they turn out to be).

I might use bits of it, but no-one is going to be buying this and then breaking it up to trade some of the cards.

£30 and I would have bought one.

~ Tim    

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)