Velicta: The plane's greatest detectives

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last time we saw the agents of Velicta's twisted sort of law and order. They are brutal, they are ruthless, but at least they operate somewhat inside the system.

What about those who work outside it? Those who have lost hope in the justice system and decided to take matters into their own hands? Those who make it their purpose to find out their lover's killer themselves?

Meet the detectives of Velicta.

Detective Work (C)

Instant
Name a card. Target spell’s controller reveals his or her hand. If the named card is revealed this way, counter that spell. Otherwise, draw a card.

The detectives of Velicta have their own little theme of guessing whether a card is in their opponent's hand, investigating it and getting a bonus if correct. I mean, the first time it may be a blind guess... but what if you look at their hand all the time?

Undercover Investigator (U)

Creature – Human Detective
2/2
Hexproof (This creature can’t be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
When Undercover Investigator enters the battlefield, name a card. Target opponent reveals his or her hand. If the named card is revealed this way, draw two cards.

Amateur Detective (C)

1/1
When Amateur Detective enters the battlefield, name a card. Target opponent reveals his or her hand. If the named card is revealed this way, that opponent puts a creature he or she controls on top of its owner’s library.

Not that detectives are some sort of knights in shining armor. On Velicta, no one is.

Planted Evidence (R)

Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, name a nonland card. At the beginning of your next end step, target opponent reveals his or her hand. If the named card is revealed this way, that player exiles a permanent he or she controls.

And then there are some detectives that don't really fit the look-at-hand theme, but here we go:

Dauntless Investigator (U)

2/2
Vigilance
[Mystery] : Solve this mystery. If you do, search your library for a card named Arrest and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

(more on mystery here.)

Arrest (C)

Enchantment – Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can’t attack or block and its activated abilities can’t be activated.
Velicta's criminals may kidnap you and hold you hostage but only its officers can truly take away your freedom.

I thought about making Dauntless Investigator an officer, but it seemed like the flavor of "detective investigates case, gets murdered, other detective follows her lead and gets the bad guy arrested" was too strong to give up.

If you want to do some detectivery yourself, Velicta has plenty of unsolved murders to work with. Here are some:

Disappeared Journalist (C)

Creature – Human Citizen
1/2
[Mystery] : Solve this mystery. If you do, look at the top four cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Murdered Landlord (C)

Creature – Human Citizen
2/2
[Mystery] : Solve this mystery. If you do, search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Arson Victims (C)

Creature – Human Citizen
2/2
[Mystery] : Solve this mystery. If you do, destroy target land.
“When we arrived, the house was already in ruins.”
—Officer Varl

Jannie Acta, Vesuvi Dennouncer (R)

Legendary Creature – Human Minion
1/1
[Mystery] : Solve this mystery. If you do, search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Working for the Vesuvi was a bad decision. Ratting on them to the officers was a worse one.

The detective guess-and-look mechanic is a really really minor mechanic that appears on five cards or so. Detectives are white and blue, and mystery, while present in all five colors, is mostly in those two colors as well.

Next time: the dastardly rogues of Velicta.

(as a side note: I actually got rid of Coins. It wasn't adding much, they weren't that interesting to play with and the set was too crowded as it stood.)
I don't think the Vesuvi Denouncer should be legendary, since otherwise it's too easy to legend-rule her out of existence and get two Demonic Tutors.

Otherwise, loving this set as always. 

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

The mental images I have for this set are MAGICAL. I love what you're doing here, keep up the good work!!
Awesome work as always, Rio.

For some reason I really want there to be a card named "Goblin Gumshoe" in the set somewhere. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Awesome work as always, Rio.

For some reason I really want there to be a card named "Goblin Gumshoe" in the set somewhere. 

Gumshoe reminds me of Phoenix Wright.

Hmm, any chance of false evidence popping up? 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Sign In to post comments