8/13/2012 FtL: "Cloistered"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I really enjoyed this brewing article www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...with the variety of deck ideas and discussion about Jace's Phantasm and Planeswalkers.  I currently made a standard deck using Jace's Phantasm and some underappreciated and underplayed Planeswalkers that work very, very well together.  Enjoy the deck idea for what it's worth.    Here is a link to my current Jace's Phantasm/Mill/Miracle/Planeswalker deck titled "The Miracle Mill."   magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=...
One thing that occurs to me in regards to the Liquimetal Coating deck is that it would be by far the most efficient if it just ran a ton of artifact removal and targeted the enemy's LANDS. You could even shunt it into Standard like that. Smelt, Torch Fiend, Crush, Ancient Grudge... you can rock some land destruction really early on. Turn 1 Reckless Waif, turn 2 Liquimetal Coating, turn 3 Smelt+Torch Fiend... you only kill one land a turn, yes, but that ought to be more than enough, especially if you kill some critical manafixers. All you need to rely on for finishers is 1-drops like Reckless Waif and Stromkirk Noble, and Torch Fiends that you don't blow up.
Acritter: I've been running that deck in Standard for a few months now, but even more controlling. LD is not the deck's game unless you have to discard/deal with an annoying land. With that deck, you want to kill all creatures so your creatures can swarm in for damage. Late game, if necessary, Hoard-Smelter Dragon will blow up 1-2 land a turn. But when you land dragon and they've got nothing, they usually scoop.

What the deck does: Red/Green control. What it rewards: VERY careful playing. Never nuke something on your turn if you have that choice; do it on the end of their turn or you could see a hasty beater/huntmaster on your ***. What it doesn't do: play quickly.  
Acritter: I've been running that deck in Standard for a few months now, but even more controlling. LD is not the deck's game unless you have to discard/deal with an annoying land. With that deck, you want to kill all creatures so your creatures can swarm in for damage. Late game, if necessary, Hoard-Smelter Dragon will blow up 1-2 land a turn. But when you land dragon and they've got nothing, they usually scoop.

What the deck does: Red/Green control. What it rewards: VERY careful playing. Never nuke something on your turn if you have that choice; do it on the end of their turn or you could see a hasty beater/huntmaster on your ***. What it doesn't do: play quickly.  

So have you tested out LD versus straight control? What were the issues with LD? It seems far more efficient to stall your opponent on 3 land (effectively results in the destruction of all cards CMC 4 and up) than to kill all those threats.
There's one huge issue with LMC in current Standard - you have no way to find it, and if you don't have it in your opener, all your artifact destruction will sit useless in your hand until you draw one. The deck was solid in Zen-SOM standard when you had access to Ancient Stirrings, now you have to either risk it or water the deck down with defense spells. Or have you found any other ways to deal with the problem?
"Of course, the best is when this all happens at once off a huge Genesis Wave, putting in a Doubling Season or two and ending up with multiple Planeswalkers all activating their ultimates."

Bombo: Genesis Wave puts all the permanents onto the battlefield at the same time.  If a planeswalker and a Doubling Season are put onto the battlefield at the same time, the planeswalker will not get the bonus from Doubling Season.  Only the effects from Doubling Seasons already on the battlefield will apply.
I can't be the only one who thought "That Xathrid Gorgon deck would probably be better without Xathrid Gorgon." Please tell me I wasn't.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.