Is anyone else ready for the expansion?

186 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am just so ready for this expansion to come out. I'm not sure what it is. Duels has often shied away from mutli-colored decks, and I'm excited to play something new. And with the exception of Aura Servants all of them look fun. (Though I feel like I might eat my words one I am getting whomped by an enchanted Invisible Stalker ). I don't know it's just DotP has been the only game I've been playing lately and I think I want some variety to spice things up. Anyone else know that feel?
To be honest, I'm really worried about what Aura Servents will do to 2HG's meta, particularly ED + AS as a combo.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Yeah I could definitely use some new decks by now.
I'm definitely ready for the expansion!
I don't care about 2hg so none of the new decks are annoying me.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I'm ready to hear constant complaints from the 2HG community about Invisible Stalker since when the expansion drops, they won't be able to whine about Serra Ascendant anymore.
I'm looking forward to bribery on an invisible stalker followed by a kicked rite of replication

Would blatant thievery be able to take invisble stalker ?

No.
I'm looking forward to bribery on an invisible stalker followed by a kicked rite of replication

You want five 1/1 creatures that late in the game?  Hexproof and unblockable are nice, but it'll be a rare event when invisible stalkers are the best option for that particular card combination -- after all, it can give you six of almost anything.

I'd like the expansion ASAP! More choices are very welcome.  I think the green/white deck is the one I'll try to completely unlock first, followed by green/black.

Blatant Thievery still says "target permanent" which is the key phrase to look for when dealing with shroud/hexproof.

Don't confuse it for Cultural Exchange, which works because it's targetting the player not the actual permanent. If you had like Spirit of the Hearth then Cultural Exchange wouldn't work against you, but Blatant Thievery would against the Guardian, if that makes any sense.

I'm actually less worried about invisible stalker given there aren't quite as many pure beat face auras that Ajani had in 2012. W/U has way less powerful boosters than W/G, as the pure number of +3/+3 auras is decreased, and no more Armadillo Cloak. Still- it'll be a pain. I'm more concerned with Geist of Saint Traft by people who play it right...

EDIT: As DP said ED/AS might be pretty potent. I've been worried about Geist + Spirit Mantle since I saw the deck list to be honest. He'll survive Infest and Massacre Wurm with 3 toughness. He'll be unblockable 3 damage a turn PLUS adding a recurring 4/4 flying every attack that you can't simply remove as it comes back every attack anyway. Ugly. And that's not counting any additional things AS throws on Geist.
How do you guys know what the new decks will be? Are they listed somewhere?
How do you guys know what the new decks will be? Are they listed somewhere?

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I'm ready to hear constant complaints from the 2HG community about Invisible Stalker since when the expansion drops, they won't be able to whine about Serra Ascendant anymore.

Mobius the thing is Invisible Stalker will function exactly as intended when it was printed. The problem with Serra Ascendant is it was printed with its wording to reflect only games where starting life = 20. It was clear that it was intended to be beginning life + 10, not a 6/6 life link flying 1 drop in games where you started with 30+ life.

People may complain about Stalker, but that's just as they complained about it in paper: because it's a really strong card that takes virtually no thought to play. At least in paper ppl needed to build decks with equip/auras around them (albeit much stronger than AS) but here it's done for you so even Joe-ultra-noob will quickly figure out "Hey...I can make this guy X/X...and my enemy can't hit him with almost any spells.....AND THEY CAN'T BLOCK HIM!!!" and with spells like Daybreak Coronet it should be pretty easy to make him a threat.
What minority am I in again? I never said Serra Ascendant was fair. I just think it's funny that all the 2HG "community" seems to do is complain and complain. Double decking last year, Serra Ascendant this year, (probably) Invisible Stalker in a month.

I'm quite happy all the "yes we can" attitude brought about some "change" believe it or not. Doesn't make all the whining any less humorous to me though. You're totally right. Laughing at you and the rest of your angry wasp's nest totally makes me a narcissist. Wait. Huh?

You really think my attitude is some kind of crime, don't you? You don't think people would find it funny if I started throwing temper tantrums about Goblin Piledriver and Panoptic Mirror every other day? Sorry lovely, a lot of us find your side's behavior as equally ridiculous as you find ours.

And I do so play 2HG. Nyah. Me and Alucard played about a week ago. Even took down some Ascendants. Because I have such a crush on you, I secretly hoped we would run into you in the lobbies so I could experience firsthand if you're as good as you think you are. Sadly, we never saw you. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. <3 <3 <3
Toodles.

CryCryCry
Wow, this thread got out of hand fast...
But I do think mobius have a point about the complaining.
Some people just come here to complain about card x and y, it gets rather tedious after a while.

I think there are about as many complainers in 1v1 as in 2hg however, they are evenly spread across both communities.

(Not) looking forward to seeing you making unhelpful comments directed towards people with legitimate complaints as they seek to improve the experience for the community while all you do is make snarky comments and try to undermine those with a sincere desire to make the game better in order to boost your ego.

Come Stevo, that's a little harsh no? Yeah Mobius can be a bit of a sarcastic ass, but I don't think he's really been a detriment to most concerns. Sean WOTC has even said they were making changes to Serra Ascendant in the next update! Can we all be friends now?
I could eat up a new expansion, but I can eat up any new Magic for my free time. I'm actually quite satisfied with the current content though. Good number of cards and diverse enough playstyles that I can continue playing vanilla 2013 for a while longer.
Yeah, it's not like last year with 2012 and its small content. All decks got unlocked so fast and didn't have much room for customization. An Expansion right now would be nice but I can wait a bit more longer. D13 is already huge.

By the way:
Hope we'll get a second Expansion this time instead of Deck Packs.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I'm honestly more worried about the Rakdos deck than Azorious. The sheer amount of pure aggravation that deck appears to offer is going to piss off so many people (read: me).

I will also say that all 5 of the decks look like a load of fun so far. I'm eager to see how they play out and rank themselves among the current decks.
"There will always be an autopilot deck for crappy players to abuse."

That's funny...and I'm the jerk here?

(I know he can't read this now, since I'm on his ignore list, gasp!, but what is with the comment on my profile views? Is this Myspace?)

All the complaining aside, I am ready for the expansion because I want to prove that my Mindstorms build will be better than Cloudburst (definitely) and Root of the Firemind (maybe...but we'll never know since you can't trim that deck down to 60).

I'm going to have to remember to stop cracking Evolving Wilds on my own turn, turn 1, though. (I only do it because, right now, there's no point in doing it on your opponent's turn to mask what deck you're playing since we only have the one multi-color deck).

...and for any drama llamas still milling about, can anyone find me an instance where I actually say Serra Ascendant isn't busted in 2HG? Can anyone see the difference between not condoning racism and poking fun at someone who absolutely loses their mind over a racist joke?

I'm honestly more worried about the Rakdos deck than Azorious. The sheer amount of pure aggravation that deck appears to offer is going to piss off so many people (read: me).

I will also say that all 5 of the decks look like a load of fun so far. I'm eager to see how they play out and rank themselves among the current decks.

People will realize how brutal of a card Blightning really is.

People will realize how brutal of a card Blightning really is.

I put four in my "make people ragequit" deck.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Keen as mustard for DLC. will unock all decks straight off the bat. not stressed about Stalkers as Golgari deck has 3 global and 2 sac removal to get rid of them. Selesnya has 2 Overrun and 2 Beastmaster Ascension to pound in its head. going to be interesting how the decks are tiered in 1v1 and how theyre combined in 2hg. i like the sound of AS/ED. i think Golgari/Rackdos double ditch/haste will be big. Niv mizzet has the ability to draw cards for your partner and should see a lot of play. loved discovering the underworld dreams/heartwood storyteller combo in '12. the more decks the better. the more cards the better. bring it on
If nothing else I'm curious to see how much play the old decks get once it comes out, as some of those decks look much stronger.  But I'll buy, and play, and play em all equally, still.
If nothing else I'm curious to see how much play the old decks get once it comes out, as some of those decks look much stronger.  But I'll buy, and play, and play em all equally, still.

The fun comes from revising your deck lists to handle new threats. how does peacekeepers deal with pernicious deed? can gobs still rush against Azorious? can burn deal with 3 demigod of revenge on the 5th turn? can anyone? ;p i found most of the original decks in '12 still ruled the roost after dlc but this dlc should change it up in all formats. keen to try Niv-mizzet in 4p ffa
I look forward to it, and I don't think Invisible Stalker will be as powerful as many are thinking in this format. This is not the same aura deck as we played with a few months ago, and I can say I don't know how it will turn out other than them being a constant annoyance.

Now were he in a deck...

Kinda curious to see if they'll leave in the next expansions lists in the game files this time too.
I'm going to have to remember to stop cracking Evolving Wilds on my own turn, turn 1, though. (I only do it because, right now, there's no point in doing it on your opponent's turn to mask what deck you're playing since we only have the one multi-color deck).

What would really be the point of masking the deck you are playing for half a turn?  There are only so many turn one plays, and chances are your opponent is NOT going to not end up with all of them in thier hand.  With how mean the shuffler tends to be, it is a wonder to even get a single of your turn one plays if you put all of them in your deck.  If they do happen to get one of thier turn ones they are probably going to make that play regardless of what deck you have.  Is there that much of mind game involved that early in the game? (honest question)
-------------
Yes I am ready for the new decks, having 50% more decks would be awesome.  Multi-color decks have always interested me, even though I am lousy at thier construction and execution.
I also wonder if they've been playtesting the decks found in the code and have been making changes to them in the process.  It would be interesting if we don't get exactly what we expect.
@YourHero: Well, when the DLC drops, it's possible I can hide what I'm playing until turn 3 since we'll have altogether: B/W, G/W, U/W, G/B, R/B (obviously, Wilds into Island or Mountain is gonna signal Mindstorms).

It's just a habit I suppose. Maybe it doesn't help anything, but I don't think it hurts anything either. Say, I'm playing Exalted Darkness and I'm on the play. Turn 2 I could play a Knight of Glory if I see a Swamp across from me. My playstyle, I won't immediately run the Knight out there without backup until I know he's not OD, so it won't eat an Innocent Blood, sure it can still eat an Infest or a Mutilate or Massacre Wurm, but if I'm going to lose my pro-black knight, I'm losing it to those cards, not to an Innocent Blood.

Or take Chandra's Deck. If I see Island across from me, I tend not to ratchet up the aggression until I know my opponent is Talrand or Jace (same goes for the Green decks...if it's Garruk, I'm hurling everything I have at his life total...Yeva, I'm gonna save some stuff for his creatures).

I don't know if there's any real kind of point or science to the Evolving Wilds thing (maybe I can find an article on ChannelFireball about it sometime, if it exists), it's simply just how I roll.
/ was one of my favorite paper magic combos, so I know I'll be playing a lot of Golgari deck.  Rakdos as / looks like a fun aggressive deck.  Could you imagine an opening hand of 2x Vexing Devil plus 2x Reanimate?  Vexing indeed.  The / Azorius deck looks obnoxious with all of that hexproof.  I'm not sold on the / Izzet deck.  I'll have to see it in action.  Selesnya's / deck has a token/Overrun theme, but is really light on removal.  Another one I want to see in play.
Thanks for the reply Mobious.  I guess turn 3, is a long time for your opponent not to know what they are playing.  The converse to that though is that they have also had three turns to do the same.  I guess whatever makes the game fun for you, do.

Some of these decks really make me want to give 2HG a try, though I would want a partner that is half decent and has a mic. 
wow..seems lika alot of "hate" on these boards.  I put that in quotes cause I personally Don't like using the word.  There is enough of that in the world as it is.  Besides we are here to put our opinions down not dare i say "trolling" other people.  Another word I don't like. So demeaning and derogatory(sorry if mispelled, I am not an english major.

Anywho...

I can't wait for the new decks.  I like variety.  Hopefully, for me, it will mean less crosswinds when i play.  I don't mind the decdk, just that is all i see.  Change is good.     
I look forward to it, and I don't think Invisible Stalker will be as powerful as many are thinking in this format. This is not the same aura deck as we played with a few months ago, and I can say I don't know how it will turn out other than them being a constant annoyance.

Now were he in a deck...

Kinda curious to see if they'll leave in the next expansions lists in the game files this time too.

I think this is major reason why I'm greatful that this isn't the Auramance deck from 2012. W/G auras just buff things up too much. At least the stalker doesn't have the built-in evasion like Silhanna Ledgewalker . But regardless, I really dislike it. I can already tell that game versus this deck will just race to stomp your opponent out before he/she manages to enchant something good. A win with this deck is not really so much thought out but, "derp derp enchant derp derp attack". I would have wanted a control deck (I realize that Talrand and Jace already are quite controlly) something that stalls until it can get Iridescent Angel and then some board enchantments like Noble Purpose and anthems.
The deck I'm probably most afraid of from DLC is W/G tokens. It doesn't seem that hard to play (I don't think....maybe harder than goblins but pretty straightforward) and unless you have a board clearer you will be in serious trouble.

I plan on playing Rakdos (which on paper seems to be the second "scariest" to me). I don't think I'm as afraid of a deck like this because it can still "auto pilot" to some extent, but I think it's going to be a lot harder to play it effectively. Same goes for G/B and almost certainly R/U.  W/U might be a headache matchup given the sheer amount of hexproof it has but even though it's gained like 4 more hexproof creatures over auramancer deck it's lost a lot of its aura potential. Less lifelink and less raw damage. It's going to be a good deck but I don't think it's going to be quite as out of control as W/G was last game.

My prediction: You WILL see a TON of Rakdos players when DLC launches. It has Timmy written all over it at first glance and kids are going to go bonkers for it. You WILL beat a lot of Rakdos if you have skill and a trimmed deck because the average goblin player is going to pick this deck up and really screw themselves by not properly editing/playing cards. It has a higher curve and is more suicidal than goblins and requires some combos to play to maximum efficiency whereas goblins can just "I play 1cmc goblin w haste turn 1 and attack. I play 2 cmc goblin threat on turn 2 and attack with 1/2 goblins. I play 3cmc pumper turn 3 and attack with 3 pumped gobbos.) and have a strong chance.

It will take a little while I THINK for the easy deckers to realize they should be playing Auraservants or Seylisnia.
At least the stalker doesn't have the built-in evasion like Silhanna Ledgewalker .

Umm...Invisible Stalker has "Unblockable".... which is much better than ledgewalker's pseudo-flying.
I'm amused by how many people think Auramancer was good last year...

No matter how much WotC tries to push them, Auras are inherently weak. Just take a look at the Aura Servants decklist. You can't play too few Auras, but you can't play too few creatures too. Sure, Invisible Stalker is a big problem and Aven Fleetwing dodges many sweepers, but I still don't think this deck will be that scary.

Aaaand we have much more enchantment removal this time.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

What would really be the point of masking the deck you are playing for half a turn?  There are only so many turn one plays, and chances are your opponent is NOT going to not end up with all of them in thier hand.  With how mean the shuffler tends to be, it is a wonder to even get a single of your turn one plays if you put all of them in your deck.  If they do happen to get one of thier turn ones they are probably going to make that play regardless of what deck you have.  Is there that much of mind game involved that early in the game? (honest question)
-------------
Yes I am ready for the new decks, having 50% more decks would be awesome.  Multi-color decks have always interested me, even though I am lousy at thier construction and execution.

I actually prefer to do things that seem sub-optimal yet have no real game impact to mask my play level in the early game.  Like I'll always play all my creatures in the first main phase on the first few turns if my opponent is tapped out.  Makes me look more like a noob and then later in the match when I start casting things at a more appropriate time, it plays a little bit of mind games.  
Auramancer looked alot better than the new Aura servants I'm looking at now. there are not many +3/3s in this set nor any 5 mana cost creature is now an 8/8 with trample. I guess I will have to wait until I can play it first though. 
I just want to play with Deed again, kthxbye.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

-------------

I actually prefer to do things that seem sub-optimal yet have no real game impact to mask my play level in the early game.  Like I'll always play all my creatures in the first main phase on the first few turns if my opponent is tapped out.  Makes me look more like a noob and then later in the match when I start casting things at a more appropriate time, it plays a little bit of mind games.  

I do the same thing. If Im' playing someone who regularly taps out his mana in first main phase I'm usually less likely to hold onto a Murder or a bounce for second main phase and just hit them during combat to prevent damage. If I'm playing someone who every single turn plays everything second main phase I'm more likely to wait and hit what he really doesn't want me to hit in the end step.

By dropping land and minor creatures early on to give the appearance I drop everything I intend to drop during main phase 1, I've (I believe) fooled some people into blasting something relatively inconsequential in my attack phase only for me to drop my first real bomb in my second main phase- the first time the whole game I've really dropped anything in 2nd main.

You can lull some players (myself included) into believing you are worse at casting orders etc. than you are and then cash in sometimes in big ways.
I'm amused by how many people think Auramancer was good last year...

No matter how much WotC tries to push them, Auras are inherently weak. Just take a look at the Aura Servants decklist. You can't play too few Auras, but you can't play too few creatures too. Sure, Invisible Stalker is a big problem and Aven Fleetwing dodges many sweepers, but I still don't think this deck will be that scary.

Aaaand we have much more enchantment removal this time.

It's because it IS good if you have a hexproof deck. The biggest reason auras usually stink is because it's easy enough to just remove a creature and get a X-for-1 play. Heck even a bounce, which usually just delays a creature, becomes a kill card for powerful auras. Hexproof changes that.

Auras are not that bad, they can usually dramatically change the effectiveness of a creature and the whole tempo of the game for relatively small mana costs (see: Daybreak Coronet Armadillo Cloak etc.) The risk is that your creature is still USUALLY vulnerable to spells/abilities (let's face it, even in paper magic creature removal is usually the easiest to come by for every color except green) and as such it makes your auras just as likely to be vulnerable as they go poof if their host leaves play.

People think equipment are super good in paper for a reason - they are. And equipment isn't much different than auras. Yea they have more durability in that they don't die if their host leaves play, but the counterbalance is for most equipment you're paying costs x2 to put it on the field then equip it.

I don't know, I wouldn't sleep on any aura deck or even equip deck that features a healthy roster of hexproof.

BTW- there's more non-creature permanent removal but I wouldn't exactly say "Much more enchantment removal".

Nefarox gets 2x Vindicate 1x Mortify.
Krenko gets nothing.
Chandra gets Worldfire (I wouldn't even count that).
Odric gets 2x Oblivion Ring which can be removed itself. I guess you can also add 2x Archon of Justice sort of.
Ajani gets 2x Solemn Offering (I think it's 2x?)
Talrand gets 3x Disperse (3x? and not really removal) and counter spells but that's anti-everything really.
Jace gets 2x Into the Roil and that's temporary, and a few counters.
Liliana gets nothing.
Yeva gets 3x Acidic Slime, 2x Beast Within and 1x Terastodon
Garruk gets 3x Indrik Stomphowler (3x?)

So 2/10 decks have no enchantment removal. 2/10 decks has limited bounce that can hit enchantment. 1/10 decks has a 9cmc "answer" that wipes everything. 4/10 decks get legitimate options to actually get of the enchantment and send to GY (though Yeva often trades enchantment for a 3/3 creature), and a final deck has some situational options that can simply be temporary.

That's certainly better than 2012 but it's not quite there.

As for 2012, there were only 2 creatures that innately had hexproof and then an aura that granted it. If Auramancer landed any of those 3, particularly the ledgealker or the wolf, their odds of winning skyrockets, because there wasn't much you could do vs a 7/5 flying creature with lifelink and hexproof that will soon probably be 10/8 and totem protected, or have double lifelink or first strike or whatever.

I know i should not but i am already wondering about the DLC's that will ( probaly) follw the expansion.

I would love to see a 5 color themed duo deck theme . 5-color slivers and 5-color control! (with complex awesome manabases to rule out any complaint about color-screw)

Would make for a nice cristmas release no?
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
It's because it IS good if you have a hexproof deck. The biggest reason auras usually stink is because it's easy enough to just remove a creature and get a X-for-1 play. Heck even a bounce, which usually just delays a creature, becomes a kill card for powerful auras. Hexproof changes that.

Auras are not that bad, they can usually dramatically change the effectiveness of a creature and the whole tempo of the game for relatively small mana costs (see: Daybreak Coronet Armadillo Cloak etc.) The risk is that your creature is still USUALLY vulnerable to spells/abilities (let's face it, even in paper magic creature removal is usually the easiest to come by for every color except green) and as such it makes your auras just as likely to be vulnerable as they go poof if their host leaves play.

People think equipment are super good in paper for a reason - they are. And equipment isn't much different than auras. Yea they have more durability in that they don't die if their host leaves play, but the counterbalance is for most equipment you're paying costs x2 to put it on the field then equip it.

I don't know, I wouldn't sleep on any aura deck or even equip deck that features a healthy roster of hexproof.

BTW- there's more non-creature permanent removal but I wouldn't exactly say "Much more enchantment removal".

Nefarox gets 2x Vindicate 1x Mortify.
Krenko gets nothing.
Chandra gets Worldfire (I wouldn't even count that).
Odric gets 2x Oblivion Ring which can be removed itself. I guess you can also add 2x Archon of Justice sort of.
Ajani gets 2x Solemn Offering (I think it's 2x?)
Talrand gets 3x Disperse (3x? and not really removal) and counter spells but that's anti-everything really.
Jace gets 2x Into the Roil and that's temporary, and a few counters.
Liliana gets nothing.
Yeva gets 3x Acidic Slime, 2x Beast Within and 1x Terastodon
Garruk gets 3x Indrik Stomphowler (3x?)

So 2/10 decks have no enchantment removal. 2/10 decks has limited bounce that can hit enchantment. 1/10 decks has a 9cmc "answer" that wipes everything. 4/10 decks get legitimate options to actually get of the enchantment and send to GY (though Yeva often trades enchantment for a 3/3 creature), and a final deck has some situational options that can simply be temporary.

That's certainly better than 2012 but it's not quite there.

As for 2012, there were only 2 creatures that innately had hexproof and then an aura that granted it. If Auramancer landed any of those 3, particularly the ledgealker or the wolf, their odds of winning skyrockets, because there wasn't much you could do vs a 7/5 flying creature with lifelink and hexproof that will soon probably be 10/8 and totem protected, or have double lifelink or first strike or whatever.

Well yeah, a 10/8 totem protected, hexproof, trampling flier with lifelink was scary, but that was mostly because of green auras.

This deck has a trade-off in that you won't get such ridiculous creatures this time around (although Kor Spiritdancer can get big if left alone), it has at least double the evasion.