Modern's First - A Birthday Bash

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Modern's First
A Birthday Bash 

This is a gonzo tournament. Everything will be brought to you live as it happens, right here. This is how it started, while wrting for my next article, last night:

Modern Comes Of Age

This is some ambiguity about Modern's "birthday". Some argue that it's May 27, when we first saw A Modern Proposal. Others say May 19, when Modern was first announced as a format for the Community Cup Challenge. Another faction declares June 16, when it was actually played at the CCC. I'm going to use August 24, which is when it became a sanctioned format. I am unaware of any birthday bashes planned. Hmm... It's a Friday night. 16 days from as I'm typing. (8/8) HMMM... X rounds of Swiss, based on numbers... cutoff... Blarg! You have just witnessed the brainfart creation of "Modern's First". Since Friday is a workday for me, that means no Euro-friendly event. So start time will be 9PM Eastern time. Prizes TBA, I'm personally guaranteeing 4-3-2-2(-1-1-1-1). Wish it could be more, but hey! I'm poor!

-

So! Let's put some meat on those bones...

Modern's First
A Tournament

August 24, 2012
9PM Eastern/6PM Pacific

Where Does This Happen?

Games will be played in the Menu > Play > Casual Play > Anything Goes room. 
Game chat happens in the M1 room. Type /join M1 in your chat window.
Registration and pre-registration is currently open via Gatherling.
Players and Prize Pool can be found here.

How Many Rounds Is It?

8-16 Players: 3 Rounds/T4
17-24 Players: 4 Rounds/T4
25-32 Players: 4 Rounds/T8
33+ Players: 5 Rounds/T8

What Can I Win?

--- Current Prizes ---
  1st: 24 Tickets + 17 Tickets Bot Credit + 4 Tickets Gift Certificate + 6 RGD Draft Set
  2nd: 18 Tickets + 12 Tickets Bot Credit + 3 Tickets Gift Certificate + 4 RGD Draft Set
  T4: 12 Tickets + 7 Tickets Bot Credit + 2 Tickets Gift Certificate + 2 RGD Draft Set
  T8: 6 Tickets + 3 Tickets Bot Credit + 1 Ticket Gift Certificate + 1 RGD Draft Set
  ---
  9th: 4 Tickets Bot Credit at Alphabot
  10th: 3 Tickets Bot Credit at ValueBot
  11th: 2 Tickets Bot Credit at ValueBot
  12th: 1 Ticket Bot Credit at Alphabot
  13th: 1 Ticket
  Last Place: 1 FOIL ZEN Full-art Island #235, 1 FOIL Alara Booster
  ---
  Door Prizes: 1 Ticket each to 5 random players who played all rounds and did not otherwise receive prizes.
  --- Additional Prizes Possible ---

Fine Print

• Games must be set as Constructed Modern, timed at 30 minutes, watchable, best 2 of 3, and be marked "M1 Round x". First person listed makes table. Players have 10 minutes to make and join tables after pairing announcements complete.

• Players must enter match results in the /join M1COM room. Match results entered in the main chat room, or via PM, will be ignored.

• Match results must be posted before intermission. Results not reported prior to intermission will be declared a draw.

• Players must play all rounds to be eligible for any prizes.

• WotC employees are welcome to play, but are not eligible for any prizes. Other than bragging rights.

• Bullying, mobbing, foul language, & general rudeness will not be tolerated. This includes "snide remarks" about decks/playing ability, personal attacks, racial slurs, etc. A player will get 1 warning. Repeat violations will result in disqualification from the event. Violations may be screenshot and reported to WotC.

• Please refrain from talking in other players games, or PMing players in a game. This will allow players to concentrate fully without interruption.

And that's what I have so far. Now to go pound on some doors...

EDIT 8/10: Added Ralph Steadman artwork. 
EDIT 8/12: Added Fine Print, spreadhseet link, cleaned up 
EDIT 8/16: Cleaned up some more, prize pool to $479. 
EDIT 8/20: Added schedule image 

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

This just in. A fifty (50) Ticket pledge from Gatherling arrived. This will be distributed as 12-9-6-6-3-3-3-3 + 5x1 "Door Prize".

Registration and 
pre-registration will also be handled via Gatherling.

News Flash! MTGO Academy has matched my payout! (4-3-2-2-1-1-1-1)

In the sprit of gonzo, feel free to comment, kibbitz, and generally make your thoughts known...

1220PM SKT - Extra! MTGO Bazaar has matched my payout! (4-3-2-2-1-1-1-1)

Alphabot & ValueBot have each pledged 20 Tickets Bot Credit. Distribution 4-3-2-2-1-1-1-1 + 5 for TBA.

I've decided to take the 10 bot credits in the "TBA Pool" to pay off 9th - 12th places.

I'm still pounding on doors and rattling cages. I'm setting myself a goal of ~200 in prize support. Still two weeks to go, so no huhu; I don't have to rush around like a madman.

wow, this tourney looks very good ty Blippy!!!!!

btw im Pelao28 Smile

slug360 kicked in a Ticket, which I will use to pay out 13th place.

EDIT: slug has also kicked in a FOIL Alara Booster, which will go to last place.

1045AM SKT - Cardbot has matched my payout in Bot Credits!

slug360 kicked in a Ticket, which I will use to pay out 13th place.

just to let you all know how is blippy, that 1 ticket that supposedly i gave as donation, in fact, i gave it to him for hosting overdriven!, eurodriven! and tribal apocalypse (player run events, tip your host if you do well xD) but he generously added it to the pot on my behalf.
i have no other option but to donate a foil shards of alara booster for such a generous action.

I've finally made the spreadsheet for the event.

Some fine print stuff.

• Games must be set as Constructed Modern, timed at 30 minutes, watchable, best 2 of 3, and be marked "M1 Round x". First person listed makes table. Players have 10 minutes to make and join tables after pairing announcements complete.

• Players must enter match results in the /join M1COM room. Match results entered in the main chat room, or via PM, will be ignored.

• Match results must be posted before intermission. Results not reported prior to intermission will be declared a draw.

• Players must play all rounds to be eligible for any prizes.

• WotC employees are welcome to play, but are not eligible for any prizes. Other than bragging rights.

• Bullying, mobbing, foul language, & general rudeness will not be tolerated. This includes "snide remarks" about decks/playing ability, personal attacks, racial slurs, etc. A player will get 1 warning. Repeat violations will result in disqualification from the event. Violations may be screenshot and reported to WotC.

• Please refrain from talking in other players games, or PMing players in a game. This will allow players to concentrate fully without interruption.

655PM SKT - MTGO Traders has matched my payout in Gift Certificates!

We now have enough pre-registrations on Gatherling to meet the minimum number to fire.
Registrations and pre-registrations are now being accepted via Gatherling.
Instructions for making a text deck and entering it on Gatherling can be found here.
Current players, prize pool, and distribution can be found here.

Wizards of the Coast has kicked in 18 RGD (Ravnica/Guildpact/Dissension) Draft Sets! These will be distributed 6-4-2-2-1-1-1-1.

This thing has grown large enough I'm going to approve Blippy's request for special dispensation to move this to General and grab some more eyeballs.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Awesome

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

If any of you are thinking about playing, but haven't really played this format before, here are some helpful links...
What is Modern?
Sanctioned Event Winning Decklist Archive
Current MTGO Modern Meta
(note tabs at bottom for navigation)

And if haven't played in a player run event on Gathelring.com before, here are some tutorial videos by Mikey K and myself showing you how the interaction with Gatherling works.

Tutorial Video 1
Tutorial Video 2
Tutorial Video 3

SBena_Bot has pledged 10 tix bot credit! This will be distributed 5-3-1-1.

These prizes are getting pretty sweet...

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Blippy, you're clearly a great tournament organizer if you can get all those sponsors to line up behind you. To all the sponsors, thanks for supporting cool stuff!
Man I can even play in this! I hope I don't forget to register when I get home!
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

We now have enough pre-registrations on Gatherling to go 4 rounds/T4. (6 more to go T8)
Pre-registrations are now being accepted via Gatherling.
Instructions for making a text deck and entering it on Gatherling can be found here.

We now have enough pre-registrations on Gatherling to go 4 rounds/T8.
(6 4 2 more to go 5 rounds)

We now have enough pre-registrations on Gatherling to go 5 rounds/T8.
5 Rounds is top. No further rounds will be scheduled.

Last minute update
There has been some concern expressed about the number of rounds. By DCI rules, we would be going 6 (or more) rounds, but I set the cap at 5 rounds. To alleviate some of this concern, I will allow Intentional Draws for this event.

and amazingly my plans change and I can't play
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

Another last minute update 
Player response has been much greater than anticipated. With the number of players entering, I have no choice to to raise the cap to 6 rounds. I will still allow Intentional Draws for this event.

66 players, awesome. GL all.

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

How to apply for beta

Great job, as always, Blippy!

PRJ - "one million words" on MTGO

I write the State of the Program series on PureMTGO.com, appearing every Friday.

Great job blippy. Wtg Niabock for making top 4!!

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

Woo hoo! 

Modern's First was a rip-roaring success! We had 66 players to start, and a good time was had by all!

All sponsors have been notified of the results, and T8 players should see bot credits and RGD draft sets showing up during the course of next week. 

I'd like to give a huge thanks to all the wonderful sponsors who made this thing possible:

Wizards of the Coast
Gatherling
Alphabot
Valuebot
CardBot
MTGO Academy
MTGO Bazaar
MTGO Traders
SBena_Bot

Awesome work, Blippy!
As someone who has mostly stuck to Pauper and Silverblack for the last couple years (in constructed anyway), I truly appreciate this event for displaying the joy that is Modern.  

I never really took to Extended, but the cool decks I saw last night really have me interested in modern.    I'm still not going to spend money on the seriously expensive cards, but I'll certainly be looking for budget decks to have some fun in Modern.

Good work Blippy, you did a good service to this game we love.

And good work to the competitors I saw too.   Plenty of interesting decks showed up, and all the pretty foils and promos were fantastic!

Even the ones that Powned me