Best duels deck, PERIOD!!

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hmm, my first post here, so I will open with a question. 

What is your favorite deck of all, from all three duels of the planeswalkers games? I am aware that most players seem to think that the new decks are massively overpowered compared to the older games, but I don't care about that. I truly believe that with any of those older decks, you stand at least a chance. Yes, even with the dragon deck from duels 2011. And just for the purposes of this question at least, just suspend your disbelief for a second and imagine you CAN reduce the decks in the first game to 60 cards. Good manners costing nothing, i'll open with my own favorite deck. In fact, i'll rank my top three, and my preference will suddenly be clear to everybody. 

1: Machinations

Because this deck is not only an artifact deck, but has an answer for almost anything in the game, enchantments being the exception. Four counters, that get cheaper when you have metalcraft, Steel Overseer , Etherium Eculptor , Wurmcoil Engine AND a Mirrorworks ? On top of that, you have two direct kill cards that are only really bad in the mirror match, two defensive sacrifice cards, again with the all important metalcraft, and a card that will kill AND bring back a creature from the graveyard. That's without mentioning all the other great cards in the deck, a lot of which come with even more metalcraft bonuses. 

2: Relics of Doom

Again, another artifact deck, but this one is geared more to the aggressive player, bringing you creatures that can be cast for 0 cmc, and creatures that get stronger temporarily for every creature you cast. Bottle Gnomes are just useful, Platinum Angel is murder bait, but if you can protect her, you cannot lose the game...i've been on -200+ life before and won...and you have enough equipment to make your weaker creatures forces to be reckoned with. You can speed up the game with your mines, and only the mill deck is better with all this card draw, since yours are so cheap, and don't even get me started on my fave card in the entire deck...the Sharding Sphinx !!

3: Wielding Steel

This is only here because there are no more artifact decks I can play with...(damn you duels 2013) but it's still one of my favorites, and there are enough great toys to keep me entertained. sword of war and peace for a start. Then we have the OTHER white tapping creature...the better one... Gideon's Lawkeeper . Add in a Baneslayer Angel for when things get rough , more than enough equipment to keep all your star players active, such as Captain of the Watch , and creatures that dig your equipment cards...and creatures that equip them for free...and this deck can deal with most enemy threats. The beauty of it is that it's the equipment that makes this decks creatures a threat. Soren can kill them all he wants, because the next 1/1 token on the board has just as much potential as any other. 

Yes...i'm that artifact junkie you heard about. I play on psn by the way, and would appreciate if you could post your platform too. And lastly, let's keep it civil please, I can't be bothered with trolls. That being said, nice to meet you all. Smile

Since you all gave me your reasons for choosing your decks, I figured I could edit in my own.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Hmm, my first post here, so I will open with a question. 

What is your favorite deck of all, from all three duels of the planeswalkers games? I am aware that most players seem to think that the new decks are massively overpowered compared to the older games, but I don't care about that. I truly believe that with any of those older decks, you stand at least a chance. Yes, even with the dragon deck from duels 2011. And just for the purposes of this question at least, just suspend your disbelief for a second and imagine you CAN reduce the decks in the first game to 60 cards. Good manners costing nothing, i'll open with my own favorite deck. In fact, i'll rank my top three, and my preference will suddenly be clear to everybody. 

1: Machinations
2: Relics of Doom
3: Wielding Steel

Yes...i'm that artifact junkie you heard about. I play on psn by the way, and would appreciate if you could post your platform too. And lastly, let's keep it civil please, I can't be bothered with trolls. That being said, nice to meet you all. 

Are you the guy that plays with Tripp?

If so, its me Killa.
That's a tough one. Let's say:

1. Crosswinds. Because it's a powerful deck, but only if you know how to play/trim it. It's all about stalling the opponent and then securing the win, but to get there you must know the other decks well. I think Crosswinds comes closest to the complexity of paper magic, as it is quite technical and offers an impressive array of combos.
2. Dream Puppets. Simply because you'll most often win a turn or two away from your own demise. No other deck gives you such satisfaction when winning a round.
3. Ghoulkeeper. I like zombies. Don't judge.
From the first edition my fave was Ears of the Elves. Really wish that could've been edited down to 60 :p won a lot of 4 player FFA with that deck. Dotp13 I had 3 faves but my best deck was Blood Hunger. Only Realm of illusion gave me trouble with that deck. So far in 13 it's been Goblin Gangland. Bout time they gave us a goblin deck n glad the made it strong. Looking forward to DLC and the Golgari deck
I'd still say Realms of Illusion is the best. You could give Goblins 4 Piledrivers, and I'd wager Illusions would still come out on top a majority of the time.
I'd still say Realms of Illusion is the best. You could give Goblins 4 Piledrivers, and I'd wager Illusions would still come out on top a majority of the time.

+1

If so, its me Killa.

Yup, that's me, and i've seen you on the other threads anyway, been here a while, just not posted before. I also noticed you mentioning that telemin you did. I knew that's what you were going for as soon as I saw the exile card, but I didn't mention it in case you didn't know that trick...Tripp's fault for not having a counter. 

Thanks to the rest of you, though Mobius, I agree Realms may be the strongest, but what was your fave to play? 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Welcome to the forums, Karstien, and good post!

I loved Machinations. It's a toss up between that and Crosswinds for 1st place. As for my 3rd place, I'd pick Ancient Wilds right now, but that spot changes often

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

1. Ancient Wilds - Really fun to play with.
Natural Order, Eternal Witness, Vengevine, Acidic Slime ... just too much of the good stuff!

2. Ancient Depths - I like big ramp and eldrazis.

3. Ears of the Elves - Good old elf deck. I miss you!

Honorable mentions: Eons of Evil, Pack Instinct, Born of Flame, Strength of Stone, Machinations and Forest's Fury.
I would also like to mention the two upcoming decks Sepulchral Strength and Collective Might, which are both looking very promising.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!

Realms was the most fun to play, to me, because it could play the aggro/tempo/control roles simulataneously/as needed. There weren't as many ETB effects in 2012, so timely Curfews, Counterspells, and Aether Adepts on your opponent all day was really fun (with a healthy amount of sadism).

If I had to choose a second, I would nominate Relics of Doom, and more specifically Tinker. I wouldn't call a Sharding Sphinx for 6 mana busted...but for 3? Definitely.

If so, its me Killa.

Yup, that's me, and i've seen you on the other threads anyway, been here a while, just not posted before. I also noticed you mentioning that telemin you did. I knew that's what you were going for as soon as I saw the exile card, but I didn't mention it in case you didn't know that trick...Tripp's fault for not having a counter. 

Thanks to the rest of you, though Mobius, I agree Realms may be the strongest, but what was your fave to play? 

You thrashed me with the sulfuric vortex the game before so we are even ;) That was brutal.

Always good games against you two! All thanks to Stevo for teaching me that nightmare/telemin trick LOL

Now I can't play you anymore  since  you know all of my builds and plans ;-P
Realms was the most fun to play, to me, because it could play the aggro/tempo/control roles simulataneously/as needed. There weren't as many ETB effects in 2012, so timely Curfews, Counterspells, and Aether Adepts on your opponent all day was really fun (with a healthy amount of sadism).

If I had to choose a second, I would nominate Relics of Doom, and more specifically Tinker. I wouldn't call a Sharding Sphinx for 6 mana busted...but for 3? Definitely.

Ahh, tinker...I miss that card. By the way, how do you get the card names to show as links? I wouldn't mind being able to do that...mainly for wurmcoil memories. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
For me it would be:

1) Real of Illusions

2) Machinations

3) Peace Keepers

Could you imagine Realm and Crosswinds together?  Makes me shudder.  Or Dream puppets and  Lili's discard from 2012... hurts to thinkabout itYell        
 By the way, how do you get the card names to show as links? I wouldn't mind being able to do that...mainly for wurmcoil memories. 

[c ] Card Name [ /c] (without the spaces inside the brackets)

Killa: Yeah, you too, I enjoyed those games a lot. And don't worry, I know most of the tricks already, pity we can't always counter them. Now, if I had my machinations deck...damn, that's my one dream for this game...bring back all the old decks. 

Eaglenitewillow: Damn, Realms and Crosswinds would be brutal...though Machinations and Croswinds would rule too I think. Deadliest possible combo though?

MIND OF VOID AND DREAM PUPPETS 
bzzt: Thanks man, i'll get right on editing those. I owe ya.  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I don't know about best, but my favorites were:

DotP '10: Heart of the Woods and the W/G deck, can't remember its name.

DotP '12: Strength of Stone. Set for a control build and it was a lot better than it got credit for.

DotP '13: My favorite Duels so far. Tied between AW and CW. Oh man, I love the surprise wins I get with those.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Top 3 for me would be, ugh I forget the names.. from 2012
Dark ascension? the black white deck
red white deck.
and then probably lifegain in 2013
'09: The RG warrior deck. I missed it so much that I tried to turn Trinity into it in '12.

'12: I love the Treefolk deck for some reason. My second was March to War tuned to be mono-white.

'13: Dream Puppets is my favorite to play, but Born of Flame seems to be the best all-around winner. I generally start with Dream and switch to Born if I'm on a losing streak.
Just went through the '09 deck lists and if they could have been edited down to 60 they'd **** n pillage in '13 :p
I can replay Duels '09 thanks to Scales of Fury, Duels 2012 for Dark Heavens, and currently in Duels 2013, Ancient Wilds is a good reason to stay.

Those are my top decks for each game and potentially my top three if I pooled them together. Plenty of great decks were given to use over the Duels career though that it gets kind of hard to choose a top number. I've thoroughly enjoyed many of them, but one thing I'm certain of is a lot of the decks I enjoy playing most are coming from Duels 2013. I like nearly every deck a lot with the exception of Celestial Light as the only deck I don't really care about and rarely play. I find this quite the achievement as many decks from the other Duels games quickly gathered virtual dust as I found enjoyment in only a select few of the available options.
Probably root of the firemind, the jund deck from that era and dark heavens from 2012
PURE control Jace deck is the funnest for me but very risky. Note, this is the only version of magic I know so the other decks are all foreign to me.
Really hard to say. So many decks I really enjoyed...

2009: Hard call between Thougts of the Wind, Roots of the Firemind, Eons of Evil and Heart of Worlds. I'd say HoW because I liked to play GW decks since I knew MTG and it felt so much different from all other duels decks.

2012: Definitely Cloudburst. Liked the theme, liked a lot of the cards (Into the Roil, Spellbound Dragon, Lightning Bolt...) Unfortunately it wasn't funny at all to play against decks like BK or FF. Next would be control-Machinations, Chandra, Grave Whispers and Strength of Stone.
Favourite card was definitely Bloodbraid Elf, unfortunately he wasn't enough to enjoy playing Trinity.

2013: Crosswinds.

Duels 2010: Eons of Evil.

Duels 2012: Machinations probably.

Duels 2013: Crosswinds, Ancient Wilds. But I play all decks. Because when you have combo, control and aggro all in one game, you appreciate the variety. Duels 2012 had mostly tribal and mostly aggro decks, so that made me hate them all with my guts. When they are evenly distributed, even aggro doesn't become so bad. And when I like to auto-pilot my deck sometimes, Pack Instinct offers just that.

Personally, I found all the 2013 decks to be quite boring, especially with how the game has some decks that just screams annoying and drawn out games. Hell, many times it just ends up being about who empties their deck and dies by card draw ....

So, favorite, may not be best.

1) Dark heavens. No idea why, but I am completely in love with this deck!
2) Ancient depths.
3) Machinations.
I find it funny you are disgruntled by the speed of some of the decks in 2013, but two of your favorites (Dark Heavens and Machinations) could have equally slow, grindy games. I was expecting some aggro decks after that initial comment I guess.
2012: Grave Whispers, I loved having answers to hexproof creatures between sacrifice mechanics and -x-x one sided sweeps. Discard was always fun. Strangely enough, I loved 2HG in 2012 while I rarely play it on 2013.

2013: Ancient Wilds, I love how you can win through a variety of ways, overrun with little elves, a quick damage rush with Manaplasm and a Natural Ordered Gaea's Revenge or a land shutdown with Terastodon or Acidic Slimes
Thoughts of wind will always be my favorite. Those 1/1 flying for U sprites saved my ass so many times. Not to mention wall of spears being my favorite wall ever and Denizen of the Deep being my most favorite card ever.

Also, evacuations, boomerangs (F!@# you disperse!) and counterbore were such amazingly fun cards in the 09 meta.  
The iPhone is perfect for people who want an easy to use, multifunction device. Android is a little more user intensive, but can do anything that iOS can do. DoTP developers, give us Duels 2014 on Android! My nexus 7/Galaxy Note 2 is easily capable of handling it if my 4 year old gateway laptop can.
My favorite to play of all time was Heat of Battle from the original Duels.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Thoughts of Wind was my faviorite deck.  I wish we had a blue deck more like it in the current games. 
09: Didn't play this one until after 12 was out but I liked Root of the Firemind

12: Dark Heavens. Loved the awesome powerful angels coming out to smite the opponent. The sweepers really put knights in their place.

13: Crosswinds/Ancient Wilds. Can't reallt choose between these 2, though I probably play cw more. 
DotP'09:

1. Scales of Fury
I always loved the Jund archetype.

2. Root of the Firemind
I really like the R/B combo.

3. Heat of Battle
Burn-control FTW!

DotP'12:

1. Strength of Stone
So many cards I love (Flowstone Overseer, Slagstorm, Stuffy Doll...)

2. Dark Heavens
BK worst enemy. Also, the best deck to produce awesome moments.

3. Forest's Fury
Treefolks are my favorite tribe.

DotP'13

1. Born of Flame
Heat of Battle's evil brother.

2. Ancient Wilds
Vengevine!

3. Exalted Darkness
The amount of people hating this deck makes me think I'm one of the few guys that made it work.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013