M13 draft 3!

607 posts / 0 new
Last post
Due to the overwhelming popularity of the M13 draft and messages I've received asking me when I am going to start a new one (thanks by the way) I have decided to start the 3rd one a couple days early since the 1st one is almost done and people seem to want more.

Pack 1:

Vampire Nocturnus
Torch Fiend
Ring of Valkas
Switcheroo
Glorious Charge
Spiked Baloth
Walking Corpse
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
Elvish Visionary
Griffin Protector
Mark of the Vampire
Timberpack Wolf
Wall of Fire
Reverberate FOIL 
Vampire Nocturnus

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Nocturnus.

On a side note I wouldn't mind this pack in real life. 
Nocturnus. I've never played with him but man he could be a super star.
Deep commitment to black, but sure let's take the vampire for now and see what comes our way.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
griffin.
Nocturnus.  It's the first pick and you can always bail from black quickly if nothing else decent turns up.
What do people think of Switcheroo?  Why not that instead of the Griffin Protector?
What do people think of Switcheroo?  Why not that instead of the Griffin Protector?

I like it. If I was going into blue I would take it.
I like the Nocturnus on single card strength and black is very strong in M13.
I don't like commiting that hard pick 1 but Nocturnus seems good. and as a bonus the next best black card is Walking Corpse so we can cut hard

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I don't like commiting that hard pick 1 but Nocturnus seems good. and as a bonus the next best black card is Walking Corpse so we can cut hard

it's just one card dude, we'll be fine. 
Knock Turn Us
Let's go deep and take the Nocturnus. 
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Essence Drain
I agree with the Nocturnus pick.  I haven't been that impressed with white outside it's bombs and removal.  It's just not that deep.

Prowler.  It plays nice with Nocturnus.  That said, I do like Essence Drain, but I get the feeling we'll be able to get some of them later.
Sure, I'll go with the Prowler.  Essence Drains float around later than they should, and as Admiral said, it plays nice with Nocturnus and Exalteds

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Searing Spear.

Nocturnus was the right P1P1 but we should wait to see if black is actually open before we go all in.

Just take the best card - and it's Searing Spear. 
Prowler seems an easy followup pick after Nocturnus. I like Searing Spear, but not so much so that I feel it should be picked here. The best way to make the Nocturnus playable is to cut black.
Prowler seems an easy followup pick after Nocturnus. I like Searing Spear, but not so much so that I feel it should be picked here. The best way to make the Nocturnus playable is to cut black.

Leaving an Essence Drain hanging isn't doing a great job of cutting black. Prowler doesn't bring you into black (unless you are looking for any excuse to do W/B Exalted), Drain does.

That said, if we stick to hard cutting black, neither getting through now should matter. Prowler.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
This is a problem I've seen a few times in these threads.  Too much time worrying about sending signals, and not enough time reading them (not saying that P1P2 Searing Spear is a signal).  Remember, the signals we send will only pay dividends for one pack - the signals we read will pay dividends for two packs. 
Essence Drain
Prowler over Mark and Drain, really???

I'm going to go with Essence Drain. Though I would not mind taking Searing Spear either. 
Prowler

He's a vamp in addition to being decent.  Removal is nice, but as black we can pick it up later.

I'd be amused to take Touch of the Eternal, but we're probably going to end up being aggressive and that card won't work for that plan.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Prowler over Mark and Drain, really???

I'm going to go with Essence Drain. Though I would not mind taking Searing Spear either. 

Yeah, I mean if the plan is to force our way into black, Prowler is not the pick, Essence Drain is, but I still think Spear is correct here.
Prowler

He's a vamp in addition to being decent.  Removal is nice, but as black we can pick it up later.

I'd be amused to take Touch of the Eternal, but we're probably going to end up being aggressive and that card won't work for that plan.

LSV posted a draft where he took both Touch of the Eternal and Boundless Realms.  I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.
Prowler

LSV posted a draft where he took both Touch of the Eternal and Boundless Realms.  I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

I actually watched that yesterday.  I was rather impressed with how he pulled it off, that deck was janky.  Which made me rethink deck building a little bit.  He does tend to back up his decks with blue though, which can disrupt tempo and buy him the time he needs to make mana intense combos work.  With what we're doing here, if we take the Touch we'd have to build toward black control or drop black, 7 mana is difficult and we also need to make sure our opponent can't swing for 8+ for the win if we put it onto the field.

I'd be amused to take the Touch and try to make it work here, just for the kicks, but it would require a pretty big shift in drafting strategy.
This is a problem I've seen a few times in these threads.  Too much time worrying about sending signals, and not enough time reading them (not saying that P1P2 Searing Spear is a signal).  Remember, the signals we send will only pay dividends for one pack - the signals we read will pay dividends for two packs. 

I don't believe seeing a P1P2 Searing Spear is a sign that red is open. There are plenty of uncommons I would take above searing spear -- Arctic Aven, Flames of the Firebrand, Oblivion Ring, Rancor, Serra Angel, Talrand's Invocation and Vampire Nighthawk at the minimum. I suspect the person drafting ahead of us took one of those.

I don't believe seeing a P1P2 Searing Spear is a sign that red is open. There are plenty of uncommons I would take above searing spear -- Arctic Aven, Flames of the Firebrand, Oblivion Ring, Rancor, Serra Angel, Talrand's Invocation and Vampire Nighthawk at the minimum. I suspect the person drafting ahead of us took one of those.

As you quoted in my initial post, I did not say that P1P2 Searing Spear is a sign that red is open.  But neither is a P1P1 Vampire Nocturnus a sign that black is open.  All I'm saying is that it is probably wise to keep an open mind in the first few picks, rather than rushing into black before we know whether it's open or not.

The reason most people want to take Prowler (which is not even the correct black to card to take IMO) is to cut black, but we may find in the next couple of picks that black was never open to us to begin with.

As you quoted in my initial post, I did not say that P1P2 Searing Spear is a sign that red is open.  But neither is a P1P1 Vampire Nocturnus a sign that black is open.  All I'm saying is that it is probably wise to keep an open mind in the first few picks, rather than rushing into black before we know whether it's open or not.

The reason most people want to take Prowler (which is not even the correct black to card to take IMO) is to cut black, but we may find in the next couple of picks that black was never open to us to begin with.

If the Vampire Nocturnus ends up being played, the Prowler is the correct card to take in this pack.

Note that Prowler is also a vampire, which we need to make Nocturnus work.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Searing Spear.  Either you'll find out that red is open, or you'll keep someone else from getting it.

Regarding Switcharoo:  This can be a great card in Constructed, but it's kind of a baddie in Limited.  It's expensive for not giving you a card advantage, and relies on a situational tableau.  Basically you and your opponent both need creatures out, and your opponent needs a creature that is so much better than yours as to make it work paying 5 mana to swap.  You want to draft creatures in Limited that you DON'T WANT YOUR OPPONENT TO HAVE.  If your creatures are good enough, you don't want to give them to your opponent.  This card is designed to swap creatures with significant downsides to your opponents in Constructed.       
Regarding Switcharoo:  This can be a great card in Constructed, but it's kind of a baddie in Limited.  It's expensive for not giving you a card advantage, and relies on a situational tableau.  Basically you and your opponent both need creatures out, and your opponent needs a creature that is so much better than yours as to make it work paying 5 mana to swap.  You want to draft creatures in Limited that you DON'T WANT YOUR OPPONENT TO HAVE.  If your creatures are good enough, you don't want to give them to your opponent.  This card is designed to swap creatures with significant downsides to your opponents in Constructed.       

That's strange.  I've played this card four times (twice in sealed, twice in draft) and I am more than willing to switch a used Ravenous Rats, Archaeomancer, Elvish Visionary or Bond Beetle, a pacified or Encrusted creature, or an early bear who is no longer useful in the midgame except for alpha-striking or gang blocking for a bomb like Odric, Yeva, Nefarox or Elderscale Wurm, or a good evasive creature like Protector, a decently large Chronomaton like I did in one sealed or something that is really standing in my way (Fog Bank, Stuffy Doll) that I need to get by to finish my opp off. 

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

That's strange.  I've played this card four times (twice in sealed, twice in draft) and I am more than willing to switch a used Ravenous Rats, Archaeomancer, Elvish Visionary or Bond Beetle, a pacified or Encrusted creature, or an early bear who is no longer useful in the midgame except for alpha-striking or gang blocking for a bomb like Odric, Yeva, Nefarox or Elderscale Wurm, or a good evasive creature like Protector, a decently large Chronomaton like I did in one sealed or something that is really standing in my way (Fog Bank, Stuffy Doll) that I need to get by to finish my opp off. 

The best trade I've gotten out of Switcheroo was trading my Elvish Visionary for my opponent's Serra Angel, but based on what I've seen of the format, that's the best trade I expect to get period. Usually you're looking at something in the Arbor Elf for Vampire Nighthawk range, provided your opponent doesn't have instant speed disruption.
I'll take Visionary for Serra all day.  And that's about the middle road for my trades.  My favorite was against white/blue with multiple pacifisms.  Nothing like trading a paicified creature for Odric one game and an Encrusted creature for a Faerie Invaders to attack for lethal through the air.

191752181 wrote:

This is BCST at it's finest.
BCST?
Best Case Scenario Thinking.
Not really, that is actually really standard for a Switcharoo play, have you played with it much? Every deck runs 1 or 2 drops, and almost every opponent's deck runs 4 or 5 drops (or at least creature enchantments). The only times it has been a dead draw for me is when I was already winning, which is ok by me. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Sign In to post comments