How do I make this deck competitive?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want this deck to be able to play at a competitive level against other legacy decks. I already have Verdant Catacombs, so it would be easiest for me to splash black.

When I playtest it, it seems really fast to me but I assume that I would get countered or have my mana chumps get bolted or shocked before I can get anything out (which is why Elvish Spirit Guide).

What can I do to fix this?

Lands:
12x Forest
4x Verdant Catacombs
4x Dryad Arbor

Small creatures
4x Llanowar elves
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Arbor Elf or Elvish Spirit Guide, not sure which yet
4x Sakura-tribe Elder

Big creatures
1x Progenitus
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1x Terastodon
1x Phyrexian Obliterator

Sorceries
4x Natural Order
4x Green Sun's Zenith
4x Prey Upon

Enchantments
4x Pattern of Rebirth

Instants
4x Beast Within

Run 1 or the other, not both. I do find that you can play an agressive strategy + Natural Order/Progstodon or a defensive strategy + Pattern/Gamekeeper.
Photobucket
I was using Beast Withins and Sakura-Tribe Elders to make Pattern of Rebirth go off, just in case I don't have a Natural Order. If I were to take out Pattern, what would I do to make sure I can pull Progenitus or whatever from my deck, assuming I didn't draw Natural Order in my opening hand/first 3 draws?
I think I like the NO plan better. I feel like pattern is just going to get blown out by removal on your targeted creature. At least NO only gets hit by counters (fairly certain the sac is part of casting, portal wording is so, so bad). Between four NO and 4 Zenith, I imagine you should be ok on tutors.

Would Lotus Petals be worth running for possible t2 NO's? 
I think I like the NO plan better. I feel like pattern is just going to get blown out by removal on your targeted creature. At least NO only gets hit by counters (fairly certain the sac is part of casting, portal wording is so, so bad). Between four NO and 4 Zenith, I imagine you should be ok on tutors.

Would Lotus Petals be worth running for possible t2 NO's? 

Lotus Petal I feel should be totally restricted to combo. T2 NO seems ok though, but still not worth the Petal, would make the card further disadvantage to get up and running.

Also, the test for NO is:

As an additional cost, sac a green dude.

So, yes, removal doesn't work.
Photobucket
You can make this deck competitive by competing with it.
Lotus Petal made a huge difference actually. I took out Sakura-Tribe Elder and Pattern of Rebirth and am doing 4 Lotus Petals and 4 of each Arbor elves, llanowar elves, birds of paradise, and dryad arbors. With all the mana it actually lets me get off the Natural Orders reliably, or else have enough to search with Zenith.

I also run 4 Elvish and 4 Simian spirit guides, along with 2 Eternal Witnesses. Not working too badly at all.

Can't use Iona or Obliterator, though. I realized that Natural Order only fetches green creatures, so I now use some combination of Silvos, Rogue Elemental, Godsire, Protean Hulk, Empyrial Archangel, and Simic Sky Swallower along with Progenitus and Terastodon.
Why would you tutor anything but Progenitus in the main, and leave Terastadon and Empyrial Archangel in the side. You shouldn't be all in on the Natural Order plan. Its best served as a side-finisher for Aggro.
Photobucket
Sign In to post comments