Bug or not? Archive Trap resolution

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Playing Dream Puppet vs Primal Instinct

I was all tapped out and going to lose next round as I have a whole board of 10 plus creatures staring at my 3 blockers. He has 10 cards in his library.

I have an [c]Archive Trap[/c] in hand.  I was hoping  that maybe he will still play his hand anyways before attacking and finishing me off.  

To my delight, the first thing he played was a [c]Nature's Lore[/c] to get a forest.   So the moment he casted it, I instant my [c]Archive Trap[/c].  His library goes to 0. I thought the game would be over there.....

.....but the game still went on as he declared combat, attacked, and killed me off.

My question is, is this a bug? or is this how this is suppose to work? 
Not a bug. He needs to draw from that stack of 0 cards for the game to be over.
Not a bug. He needs to draw from that stack of 0 cards for the game to be over.

Even if The Archive Trap says draw 13 cards and he only has 10?  Wouldn't the victory condition trigger when the 11th card of the 13 that needs to be drawn from the archive trap?

Thanks!
It doesn't say draw 13 cards - it says put 13 cards into the graveyard.  "Drawing" is a technical term in Magic, and doesn't refer to any time a card is moved from the top of the library.  Instead, the term refers to taking a card from the top of the deck and moving it into the player's hand.
It doesn't say draw 13 cards - it says put 13 cards into the graveyard.  "Drawing" is a technical term in Magic, and doesn't refer to any time a card is moved from the top of the library.  Instead, the term refers to taking a card from the top of the deck and moving it into the player's hand.

Thanks, that clears it up!
The bug with Archive Trap that I've noticed is versus Odric.  Early game, Odric plays Squadron Hawk and fetches the other two copies.  Later, when playing a second/third copy of the hawk, that game effectively forces you to search for more copies even though the wording says "you may search" (and searching isn't needed since you've got all copies already).  This triggers Archive Trap for free which wouldn't happen in paper Magic.

Fortunately it hasn't lost me any games vs Turbomill yet, but it made a couple of matches really close.
The bug with Archive Trap that I've noticed is versus Odric.  Early game, Odric plays Squadron Hawk and fetches the other two copies.  Later, when playing a second/third copy of the hawk, that game effectively forces you to search for more copies even though the wording says "you may search" (and searching isn't needed since you've got all copies already).  This triggers Archive Trap for free which wouldn't happen in paper Magic.

Fortunately it hasn't lost me any games vs Turbomill yet, but it made a couple of matches really close.

Every "you may search" card has this issue. It's technically not a bug with Archive Trap itself, but the presence of Archive Trap makes it relevant.
Yes this is annoying, and you should never be able to be punished for what is an optional ability. I have this on my bugs list, I've asked Wizards directly for the matter to be given attention and reconsidered (the whole "may" issue).
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.