New to D&D.. Specific Questions.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello Guys, I recently have started to try to get into D&D.. a little late.. at 28.. but I'm Going to give it a very strong try.

So.. The store I went to did not have the "Starter Kit" so I seperately bought.

Dungeon Masters Guide
Players Handbook
Rules Compendium
Halls of Undermountain  (I was told it was Level 1 Quests, by an employee who looked like he knew as much as me)
Dice Package

So, after thumbing through all this stuff, and reading forums. It looks like I STILL need to buy more stuff.  Monster Book, Tile Set, Cards, Ect... The Halls of Undermountain looks fun, but how do you navigate on a map with spaces this small?  

So this brings me to my main questions.

1. What else do I need to buy to have EVERYTHING I need for a complete premade, ready to play, all inclusive module?  (We lack creative DM) I want to be able to set up and play, with all the correct tiles, maps, everything.  Since I already have all of the above...I don't want to buy the whole starter pack...
2. I love minitures.  I was told by the Game Store Employee they dont sell these anymore. Can I buy a full set of all the mini's I need for a game?

Thanks for the help guys.. I will have tons more questions.

Hmm...I would have recommended the Dungeon Master's Kit over the DMG. I would also recommend the Monster Vault. However, those come with tokens instead of minis. To get a ton of minis...look on eBay? Alternatively on Kickstarter Reaper Miniatures is kickstarting a project for a new Bones line, and they're also offering a lot of their current Bones miniatures as rewards. Also for character creation, the Character Builder really is a great option, you can get one D&D Insider subscription for your whole group and just have a character making session. Alternatively everyone can get their own subscription (it's $10/month if you do the monthly plan, cheaper per month if you do 3 months or annual.)
Wizard's first rule: People are stupid.
Hi there Thefadedone11,

My recommendation to get you started quickly would be to download Keep on the Shadowfell (click on the RPG Sample Adventures section) and pick up the Monster Vault product. 

Keep on the Shadowfell is an adventure designed for 1st level characters and Monster Vault has enough tokens to provide visual representations for all the creatures in the adventure.  Monster Vault also contains a plethora of creatures you can use to continue your adventures after the Keep.  You might also consider one or more of the Dungeon Tiles products to visualize the Keep.

You can also check out the New to D&D? Start here! thread for more recommendations and tips

Hope that helps and welcome to Dungeons & Dragons!

All around helpful simian

I just bought The Red Box, the Monster Vault, Tile Set, and and Dungeon Master Kit.  I can return the DM Guide that I bought, so I actually got the rest of these pretty cheap off of amazon.  New Questions:

1. Can multiple players play on the red box edition? (We will be having 2-4 adventures in group).

2. Is the DM Starting Equipment in the Red Box also?
I just bought The Red Box, the Monster Vault, Tile Set, and and Dungeon Master Kit.  I can return the DM Guide that I bought, so I actually got the rest of these pretty cheap off of amazon.  New Questions:

1. Can multiple players play on the red box edition? (We will be having 2-4 adventures in group).

2. Is the DM Starting Equipment in the Red Box also?

1. Yes 2-4 players can play the redbox comfortably.

2. No, All the Red Box is, is an introduction to the game. Its good for teaching mechanics. It doesn't come with any rule books, or the DM screen, or tokens. 

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

The starting DM stuff you'll want is all in the Dungeon Master's Kit.
The Red Box DOES come with tokens. There is at least one token for every creature in the DM's book. There are a few PC tokens as well. I find that the rules presented in the DM's book are a great source for learning to DM. They are presented very much like the introductory rules in "Keep on the Shadowfell." The disappointed side of the Redbox for me was character creation.

Redbox Contents
The Red Box introductory adventure and the followups in the Dungeon Master's Kit and Monster Vault - assuming that you don't transition to The Halls of Undermountain instead - should be sufficient to get you started, adventure-wise. I would actually advise against using Keep on the Shadowfell, as it is poorly structured in many regards.

The thing that's most likely to cause confusion early on is that the Red Box (and various "Heroes of the..." paperbacks) are written using Essentials design, while the Player's Handbook is written with the original 4E design. As long as you bear in mind that fully-4E characters aren't necessarily as straitjacketed as the Essentials ones (especially Essentials martial classes), you should be able to use the material together.
The thing that's most likely to cause confusion early on is that the Red Box (and various "Heroes of the..." paperbacks) are written using Essentials design, while the Player's Handbook is written with the original 4E design. As long as you bear in mind that fully-4E characters aren't necessarily as straitjacketed as the Essentials ones (especially Essentials martial classes), you should be able to use the material together.

Actually even that isn't true. What I hate about the Red Box is that it doesn't mesh well with either 4E or Essentials. At least the real Essentials line still works with 4E characters...

As a simple example, just take a look at how Magic Missile is implemented in Red Box vs 4E or Essentials. 

Actually even that isn't true. What I hate about the Red Box is that it doesn't mesh well with either 4E or Essentials. At least the real Essentials line still works with 4E characters...

As a simple example, just take a look at how Magic Missile is implemented in Red Box vs 4E or Essentials. 

There's an Redbox to Essentials conversion document floating around somewhere, but you're right, the Classes don't mesh as well as they should.
So what quest/module do you suggest a group of 4/5 noobs start with? Keep in mind we want as structured of games as possible.. our dm doesnt want to make adventures up..
There shouldn't be an issue using the level 1 adventure from the Red Box, then moving into the adventures provided in the DM Kit.
There shouldn't be an issue using the level 1 adventure from the Red Box, then moving into the adventures provided in the DM Kit.

agreed! it will work quite nicely. then they could continue with the monster vault adventure (cairn of the winter king), and then finally, gardmore. its a much, much better "adventure path" than the old modules, thats for sure
Next Question for now. 

For this first campaign.. That comes with the starter box.. Can someone tell me what Minis I need for It (Besides our Adventurers.)  I'd like to get all the enemy minis we need to, just to add a little to the game. Thanks!
I don't have it in front of me but I will give it a shot. I ran it about a year ago. You will need lots of kobolds and goblins of different types. I think one encounter has 10 kobolds in it. Goblins are spread out a little more with 2 or 3 different types present. You need a guard drake and oddly a horse (optional but there is one). You will need a large white dragon. In the second half of the adventure you will need a bugbear, 2 or 3 armored humanoids, 3 or 4 skeletons, 1 zombie hulk, and a necromancer humanoid piece. If you do the trap room the way it was written, you will also need real chess pieces. I turned it into a torture chamber/supply room with lots of supplies and paperwork leading them into Reavers of Harkenwold by having these humanoids be part of the strike force of that level 2-4 adventure.
Next Question for now. 

For this first campaign.. That comes with the starter box.. Can someone tell me what Minis I need for It (Besides our Adventurers.)  I'd like to get all the enemy minis we need to, just to add a little to the game. Thanks!

you dont need any. there are tokens in the red box for every monster and for pcs. it would be a colossal waste of money to try and buy all those minis. colossal. and that is coming from someone with hundreds of minis. play the red box with the tokens and see if youre hooked from there, but even then, minis are a real expensive pain to collect. the monster vault has tokens for every monster in it; it would cost you thousands of dollars to track them down individually
Next Question for now. 

you dont need any. there are tokens in the red box for every monster and for pcs. it would be a colossal waste of money to try and buy all those minis. colossal. and that is coming from someone with hundreds of minis. play the red box with the tokens and see if youre hooked from there, but even then, minis are a real expensive pain to collect. the monster vault has tokens for every monster in it; it would cost you thousands of dollars to track them down individually

Agreed 1000%