***Check out a playtest of some material from my upcoming free 4e zine!!!

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
i have a playtest up of some material from my upcoming free fanzine. it is in rough form, as you might imagine, but you can download it here

frothsof4e.blogspot.com/2012/08/4e-forev...

let me know what you think!
A level 21 giant ant. Killer!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
A level 21 giant ant. Killer!

Hey frothsof, I wanted to make sure and give you a reply before I forgot. I haven't had a chance to "delve" into the articles yet but I'm looking forward to it. I love the ideas and the layout so far. I'm really excited about watching this progress and mining your brain for ideas. Thanks for the hard work!
Hey frothsof, I wanted to make sure and give you a reply before I forgot. I haven't had a chance to "delve" into the articles yet but I'm looking forward to it. I love the ideas and the layout so far. I'm really excited about watching this progress and mining your brain for ideas. Thanks for the hard work!

thanks man! this is really just a short "glimpse" but i hope some people have a chance to run the monsters. if you like this, you will LOVE the actual mag. it has been a lot of work, but it is getting closer and closer to done. im glad you checked it out! like i said, this is just short and rough, but i wanted to see how it ran for others! if you run it or play it let me know!
i made some edits based on some questions i received. i clarified a lot of monster questions, henachman initiative, etc, as well as made some edits to the stat block to help its readability. please send me more comments or questions, and i really appreciate it!
Love your new statblock it has a true retro feel to it with Intelligence, Morale and i also like the simplicity of Trained/Untrained Skill modifier.

I like that the Giant Ape free movement doesn't have to be on its turn. It means he can move even before or after an Opportunity Attack.

The Giant Ant Minion lacks the mention that a miss never kill it (HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion). I would give a bonus rather than auto hit for your Gaint Ants. So many auto- Hit is not fun, especially if they are meant to be encountered in large numbers.  

Is the Sludge's Special Attack supposed to Interrupt because otherwise he won't be able to use it at 0 hp as a Free action ? 

Keep the good work and good luck with:

frothsof 4e

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Love your new statblock it has a true retro feel to it with Intelligence, Morale and i also like the simplicity of Trained/Untrained Skill modifier.

I like that the Giant Ape free movement doesn't have to be on its turn. It means he can move even before or after an Opportunity Attack.

The Giant Ant Minion lacks the mention that a miss never kill it (HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion). I would give a bonus rather than auto hit for your Gaint Ants. So many auto- Hit is not fun, especially if they are meant to be encountered in large numbers.  

Is the Sludge's Special Attack supposed to Interrupt because otherwise he won't be able to use it at 0 hp as a Free action ? 

Keep the good work and good luck with:

frothsof 4e

plague! thanks for checking it out, and thanks for the feedback! regarding the sludge's free action death burst, i thought i had seen some trigger off 0 and still be free actions, but i see what you are saying, i will switch to no actions (i dont want to do interrupts since it will likely be dazed all encounter)! the 'miss never killing a minion' i was thinking was assumed, but that is a good suggestion; i will add to the monster rules i have in the mag, so as to keep the statblock clean. we might have to agree to disagree on the ants auto-hitting...i am picturing PCs having to keep on the move, even risking the less accurate OAs to keep from getting swarmed. my thoughts were also that it will be much easier for DMs to track if it is an auto-hit rather than a static bonus. the level 18 ants should be easy for PCs to hit, but there is no shame in running if it gets too ugly! in my b/x game they ran into 40 ants and ran like hell! keep in mind as well, when PCs kill the first soldier, morale is checked, so it could be over quickly...that is, unless they dared enter the hive. they might have to, if a PC gets drug down to the queen Surprised

thank you so much for the valuable feedback plague! if you ever run them let me know. i am glad you 'got' the look and feel!
You're welcome!
Well to be frank there is a rule on Other Triggered Effects (RC 198) which state that all Triggered actions work as Reaction unless they need to interrupt in order to function (in this case it would need to) but i am not even sure if this Special Attack is a Triggered Power or not because of the format employed.

No action resolve the problem and make it even better, since it will be able to use when Bloodied even while Stunned.

Your statblocks also miss the Bloodied value. Not sure if we really need it but it can act as a visible HP threshold for certain Triggered Effects.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

You're welcome!
Well to be frank there is a rule on Other Triggered Effects (RC 198) which state that all Triggered actions work as Reaction unless they need to interrupt in order to function (in this case it would need to) but i am not even sure if this Special Attack is a Triggered Power or not because of the format employed.

No action resolve the problem and make it even better, since it will be able to use when Bloodied even while Stunned.

Your statblocks also miss the Bloodied value. Not sure if we really need it but it can act as a visible HP threshold for certain Triggered Effects.

hmm i was attempting to make the power lines slightly more narrative and less 'rigid' feeling, but i see what you mean about clarifying that it is indeed a triggered action. I think that i will change the beginning of that line (and any triggered action lines) to "-Triggered Action:". that seems the best way. it is immune stun though!

the bloodied condition is similar to what i was hoping to do with the 'missed minion' piece, i was trying to keep the stat block as clean as possible, and thought about just leaving it off. your point about triggers based on the bloodied condition makes sense to me though. i think i can get away with something like "Hit Points: 188 (94)". that way its there but doesnt take up a lot of space.

thanks for the input, that helps
i went ahead and added those changes to whats there. the bloodied value, misses on minions, and triggered action piece. i left it as a free action since it cant be stunned

thanks again!
hmm i was attempting to make the power lines slightly more narrative and less 'rigid' feeling, but i see what you mean about clarifying that it is indeed a triggered action.

If I wanted narrative as rules I'd actually be embracing 'Next'. Laughing

Personally the hard seperation between fluff and mechanics is my favorite part of 4E... it's how I've got a bladesinger refluffed as a spoiled spellcasting princess and her hapless bodyguard (a single character for mechanical purposes in combat, but fluffed as two for RP purposes... the princess always sticks to the same square as her bodyguard and only fires off her spells when he makes an opening with his attacks). Its also how we got a bonafide dragon PC in our paragon-tier game (dragonborn elementalist with Scion of Arkoshia paragon path, bladechanneling daggers for its "claw/claw/bite" attack (yes, we actually put it on the sheet as "claw/claw/bite" and a muleback harness to simulate its carrying capacity).

As to the old-school look, while it certainly feels retro, its a bit hard for me to read cleanly (at least with my tired old eyes). Of course, I also had to redo my character sheets in a more 4E monster-style layout (complete with differing colors on alternate lines) so I could read it easily, so its more me than anything, but going back to 1E style just looks like a wall of text to me.
I just took a quick look through it and like what I see, especially the increased danger for epic tier. I don't have time now to a detailed read through, but I'll try to do it over the weekend and get some feedback to you. My epic campaign doesn't start up again until September (currently running "Halls of Undermountain" for my summer crew) but once it does I'm going to put some of your ideas to use. Keep up the good work!
hmm i was attempting to make the power lines slightly more narrative and less 'rigid' feeling, but i see what you mean about clarifying that it is indeed a triggered action.

If I wanted narrative as rules I'd actually be embracing 'Next'. Laughing

hey man, i appreciate you checking it out, even if it isnt your thing

I just took a quick look through it and like what I see, especially the increased danger for epic tier. I don't have time now to a detailed read through, but I'll try to do it over the weekend and get some feedback to you. My epic campaign doesn't start up again until September (currently running "Halls of Undermountain" for my summer crew) but once it does I'm going to put some of your ideas to use. Keep up the good work!

thanks style. there is def some increased danger, as well as a real effort to speed up the game. so youll see morale, variable ranges of monsters, lower overall hit points, etc, and the monsters themselves are simpler to run, especially since typical enocunters are with groups of the exact same monster. so its kind of like using old-school feel to help speed up high-level 4e combat. at least thats what im hoping others experience. there are even reaction tables, although not in this first little playtest.

i def want to hear your views. i want to make sure the balance is there with these encounters, and that will tell me if i have to make any other monster edits. there are tons of new monsters in the mag. every monster, in fact, is new
Please move this to the appropriate forum. 
Cause its totally clogging up traffic on the general forum. The general forum with a two week old post on the front page. BFD.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

if anyone is interested, i will be running a playtest of this stuff tonight on the new free-to-use rpgtable

all you need is a street-legal level 20 pc. you can import it straight from your cpu...even if it is from the offline builder

rpgtableonline.com/campaigns.php

pm me if you have questions; the slots are already open to the public; you will need a microphone
Cause its totally clogging up traffic on the general forum. The general forum with a two week old post on the front page. BFD.

And your point is, that they shouldn't follow their own forum rules?

To which forum would you propose discussion of the general content of a 4e fanzine be moved?
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

To which forum would you propose discussion of the general content of a 4e fanzine be moved?

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7588...
Good to see your effort and dedication to the Cause, Frothsof. Thanks also for posting here for us to learn about.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
Now who is ever going to find this good news thread? Very few ever look at this particular forum.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
Now who is ever going to find this good news thread? Very few ever look at this particular forum.

forgive them, for they know not what they do

HA! Hilarious!!!!

HA! Hilarious!!!!

I finished the zine! Check it out!

frothsof4e.blogspot.com/2013/06/download...