8/8/2012 Feature Article: "Magic Premier Play in 2013"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Heyyy, another year of two Constructed seasons versus just one Limited.  

Would alternating them one-for-one - such that in every two years there are three Limited and three Constructed seasons - be unthinkable?  

Alternating Constructed and Limited seasons worked for a loooong time, after all. 
Or go back to four Pro Tours - and then have two and two.
Pro Tour here in Dunlin - gonna be awesome!
Crap - if only there was an edit button and/or predictive text didn't fail. Then I wouldn't look like an idiot spelling Dublin wrong :/
- For qualifiers held prior to October 5, 2012, the product used will be 6 boosters of Magic 2013 for the Swiss rounds and 3 boosters of Magic 2013 for the Single-elimination playoff booster draft.

- For qualifiers held October 5, 2012 or later, the product used will be 6 boosters of Return to Ravnica for the Swiss rounds and 3 boosters of Return to Ravnica for the Single-elimination playoff booster draft.

Players don't like that. We want to play PTQ with Ravnica. I don't get why there are some PTQs with M13 and some with Ravnica. Why not just wait until Rav comes out? I will not attend to the PTQ of my city beacuse is M13.

Will the World Cup be a public event or private like the Pro Tours?
Ultra-private.  Even the competitors won't be allowed in.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I'm glad the FNM Championship is getting cut.  Hopefully the money for that event will be put into something local players can enjoy who have TOs that don't game the system.
I'm slightly amazed at the neutrality of reactions here. We know the attendance numbers in WMCQ's have been abysmal (even in the US, every WMCQ was organized in conjunction with a PTQ that got twice the players the WMCQ did; in Germany they had about 50 players in each event, etc.), and there's been a lot of player dissatisfaction over losing Nationals in favor of more PTQ's that qualify you for nothing but a team event.

And what does Wizards tell us has been done to answer this dissatisfaction? Players get participation promo foils next year. Gee, that's exciting. Not to mention the fact that the smallest of scenes actually get punished for their smallness by being under the threat of not getting WMCQs if not enough players bother to (or manage to) grind out the necessary PWPs.

Two thumbs down.
I'm slightly amazed at the neutrality of reactions here. We know the attendance numbers in WMCQ's have been abysmal (even in the US, every WMCQ was organized in conjunction with a PTQ that got twice the players the WMCQ did; in Germany they had about 50 players in each event, etc.), and there's been a lot of player dissatisfaction over losing Nationals in favor of more PTQ's that qualify you for nothing but a team event.

And what does Wizards tell us has been done to answer this dissatisfaction? Players get participation promo foils next year. Gee, that's exciting. Not to mention the fact that the smallest of scenes actually get punished for their smallness by being under the threat of not getting WMCQs if not enough players bother to (or manage to) grind out the necessary PWPs.

Two thumbs down.

Well, to be honest, I'm used to completing articles by Helene Bergeot with a feeling of dread; the fact that this simply seems to be stating that the status quo will be maintained for the next year means that the news isn't as bad as it could have been...
I'm a little mad about how low the threshold to get into the WMCQs in the US are. I just don't see a point to grinding points  except for the occasional bye. I'm going to be breaking 500 at GP Boston, 5 months into the year long time period. 5 months! Seems like a waste to me...
Also, San Diego in February and Montreal in May would have made a lot more sense.  Who wants to be that far north during the winter?  PT-Chicago in January 2003 was a miserable experience.  And it's not like we'd have time to go skiing when we're there for a PT.   

Two thumbs down.

Well what did you expect? They've said they were unhappy with the returns from all the money spent on nats, so we weren't going to get those back.
Sign In to post comments