MTGO Pack Prices at all time Low?

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so currently pack prices are terrible on the classifieds right now. ISD is doing ok, but DKA, AVR, and M13 are worth near nothing. I have lots of these packs and it is very frustrating to see them this low. I don't want to sell because I feel I am losing a ton of potential tickets, but this means I have to buy tons of tickets every time I want to buy cards or enter events. Is it stupid of me to hold onto these packs? Or should I just sell them and cut my losses? I have over 150 DKA packs and around 30 m13 packs? Do these cheap packs every raise about 3 tickets after their realese date? 

I haven't played MTGO for the longest time and I never analyze pack price patterns. What usually happens? 

Is there any chance DKA ever goes up?

Thanks
The packs are worth low amounts because their contents are worth low amounts.  M12 will prob never rise any higher then it is right now.  DKA might, depending on what decks start coming out in the next few months and if any DKA cards are needed in them. 
Dka won't rise much as it is the pack shorted in 4322 drafts.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
I sold my M13 booster for 3 tickets flat. And I see that there prices are going up a little. But up is better then down. I do not feel bad about it because 3.09 roughly to 3.22 is really only a few cards. When I first tried to sell the pack people kept trying to give me 2.90 and I just kept declining until I got the 3 tix I wanted. Maybe it's time to unload them while you can!
Dka won't rise much as it is the pack shorted in 4322 drafts.

If there are less DKA packs, then the price of them will be higher.
Sorry other way around isd is shorted so dka is low
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Why do you have so many of these packs? I can't help but think you got yourself into this situation by somehow accumulating them.
When I won them they were already sub 3 tickets so I kept them.
Prosp and Calavera have it right.  DKA is a terrible set that's extremely low on constructed playables AND it's flooded into the market by 8-4s and 4-3-2-2s.  M13 just isn't a very good set to draft and is also extremely light on constructed playables.
Prosp and Calavera have it right.  DKA is a terrible set that's extremely low on constructed playables AND it's flooded into the market by 8-4s and 4-3-2-2s.  M13 just isn't a very good set to draft and is also extremely light on constructed playables.

I think there'd be some demand to buy M13 to enter release events and etc.  Kind of disappointing if release events aren't even over yet but nobody cares about it already, especially if the last two sets are also out.  What are people drafting, then?  

Where do you buy packs, outside the front store?  I am still a n00b at such things.  If AVR is worth almost nothing that means the drafts can be entered very cheaply, if any are still firing.
FYI - Everybody's been mentioning M13 packs, but the OP has M12 packs that he's looking to sell.
FYI - Everybody's been mentioning M13 packs, but the OP has M12 packs that he's looking to sell.

I was surprised when the poster before me mentioned M13 as not being good.  It makes sense that M12 has past its heyday, as the OP suggested,  but M13? While I have plenty of M13 packs now... I am curious where you got o get them on the cheap.
The release sealeds only take tix to enter, which is why pack prices drop to 3 tix so quickly. This has happened at every release since worldwake. Before, when the sealeds took boosters, pack prices remained closer to 4 (or even over 4).

They will recover closer to 4 once the events end.

You should easily be able to find packs under 3.33, I've been picking mine up at 3.00-3.05 when needed without looking for more than 2mins.
The release sealeds only take tix to enter, which is why pack prices drop to 3 tix so quickly. This has happened at every release since worldwake. Before, when the sealeds took boosters, pack prices remained closer to 4 (or even over 4).

They will recover closer to 4 once the events end.

You should easily be able to find packs under 3.33, I've been picking mine up at 3.00-3.05 when needed without looking for more than 2mins.

If what you say is true, couldn't you buy the packs up at 3.00/3.33 and resell them closer to 4 in a couple weeks?  That's an excellent profit margin.

I'll have to start following these markets more closely... do you just search under the trade tab?
JimboOmega that is an interesting observation. If this is the case no wonder A guy bought my M13 booster for 3 tickets flat in a hurry. But I do not know the events or the market enough to want to gamble on this. If I had a spare $50 and the research or trend came back looking good I would jump on it. This is my favoriote part about MTGO is the hustle aspect of it. I get off on buying and selling and making a little something in the process, even if it is only tickets and not Green Dollar Bills!
I usually buy from the same set of 2 or 3 bots as they consistently have good prices and they keep my partial credits.

You can make a profit, but it depends how much you want to tie up to make .50-$1. It's not like the release events end and the packs immediately shoot up to 4. You could be holding them for 1-2 months before they get back up to 3.5-4. I guess the point I was trying to make, but did so poorly, was that the prices will go back up its just going to take some time.
So there is no chance DKA every goes up?

Well, never say never....

(No they aren't ever going up)

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

Well, never say never....

(No they aren't ever going up)

Unless people start doing heaps of 4 booster sealeds maybe? Or sealed events in general.

But no, probably not going to increase.
Once rav is out, they should increase to slightly over 3 as less will be given out as prizes and mythic prices will rise as redemption eats up copies (causing EV of limited to go up) but they won't ever reach 4 again.
Once rav is out, they should increase to slightly over 3 as less will be given out as prizes and mythic prices will rise as redemption eats up copies (causing EV of limited to go up) but they won't ever reach 4 again.

I really need to figure out where to buy things for this cheap.  I was buying AVR packs at the store front.  Oops.  I assumed packs would be trading at something like 3.95... I really need to learn the trading side of this game.

It makes no sense for them to reach 4, but they could reach 3.8 or so.  Each draft consumes 3*8 = 24 packs, while paying out 12 as prizes...  Reducing the number of packs in the system by 12, unless people are buying in with tickets, or people stop drafting.  It's true that the current sealed events cannot be joined with packs (and have a good pack payout), which is pushing prices down.  

As for the value as an investment, if you could buy them at 3.3, and sell for 3.8 a few months later, you'd be making a 15% return.  Annualized, it's incredible (close to 75%!).  The biggest problem would be in buying them and selling them in bulk.  If it's 30 seconds effort per pack, you'd have to heavily discount your return for the time/labor investment.  

If it was a fully automated, and fully liquid market, then prices should naturally rise to the future expected value less some discount rate, and I assure you that discount rate is not 15% per 3 months,    Implicitly, then, either the assumption that prices will rise to 3.8 (or otherwise close to 4) is wrong, or there is substantial opportunity for speculation.    I also have to admit, there is some risk since the commodity has a definite ceiling price (4), but no floor price.  If nobody drafts M13 after release is over, prices will stay low.  Though what are you going to do, draft AVR? Tongue Out

I really do have to pay attention to these things.  I spent way too much on MTGO in July, though admittedly a lot of it was on pre-release events (and terrible performance in them... it felt like "Game over, insert $25 coin" all weekend).    But on my AVR drafting, i could have saved a lot.
Prices of boosters can go over 4 tix and did so for a month or two with innistrad boosters after the release of dark Ascension. You have to know that some people have to add the tax when buying boosters from the official store so a booster costs me 4,80$.
Prices of boosters can go over 4 tix and did so for a month or two with innistrad boosters after the release of dark Ascension. You have to know that some people have to add the tax when buying boosters from the official store so a booster costs me 4,80$.

In that case, wouldn't tickets taxed as well? 

I was thinking in terms of the US market, which I assume is the biggest and doesn't pay tax - but based on your post and the use of a comma instead of a decimal point in prices, I assume you're in Europe and pay VAT?  Is there  VAT on tickets?

I bought 9 tickets and it cost me $9.54 or somwhere close to that. So far everything I purchased from wizards has been taxed.

I was thinking in terms of the US market, which I assume is the biggest and doesn't pay tax - but based on your post and the use of a comma instead of a decimal point in prices, I assume you're in Europe and pay VAT?  Is there  VAT on tickets?

True. Tickets have also an added tax to them so it costs me 1,20$. I haven't bought any lately and forgat about that

True. Tickets have also an added tax to them so it costs me 1,20$. I haven't bought any lately and forgat about that

How do you forget about taxes? Everyone hates taxes LOL. On a serious note do they charge tax to everyone or just certain states like most online places do? I am not sure what exactly everyone is talking about.
How do you forget about taxes? Everyone hates taxes LOL. On a serious note do they charge tax to everyone or just certain states like most online places do? I am not sure what exactly everyone is talking about.

I forget about the tax because it only shows up on the last screen and i'm normally too busy trying to work out the exchange rate in my head to see how much is tax and how much is product.

But as I understand it everyone in Europe pays VAT (value added tax) at their national rate. People in the us only pay tax if there is a wotc presence in their state and/or their state has a tax law about online purchaces. These are enforced by the client.
Everyone else is meant to be good boys and girls and report and pay any due taxes to their goverment themselves (this doesn't happen).

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

So if you were me with 150 DKA packs. What would you do? Keep or Sell?
Heh do you have any innistrad packs to draft them with?
As Calavera said - getting ISD packs and drafting/sealed is a good plan.  I've been playing a lot of 4-Booster Sealed, only win 1 round really sucks because it's just 1 DKA, but if your a good player, 2 rounds gives you 1xDKA + 2xISD.  Not sure on going 3-0 because I'm crap and it rarely happens

Bots have DKA aound the 2.5 mark right now, I doubt it will ever get much higher but could get lower.  SOM Block, the SOM boosters ranged b/w 3.9-4.3 on bots, MBS 3-3.8 while the easiest boosters to win, NPH between 2-2.5. It's a similar pattern with ISD & DKA.

Anything that clearly beats the bot prices I'll buy.  I'd happily nab a handful of DKA at 2 tix, supply when needed at 2.33 - any higher it's just easier to go to the bot (look me up, same nick!).

I really think a lot of Humans selling on the Classifieds miss the point of bot-prices - trying to sell at the same price is redundant, always round down!!!
Bots pay at least 3.25 for MBS and 3.19 for NPH.  So what do you suppose bots will buy DKA for in 12 months?  I'm tempted to believe the price of M13 will go up a bit in a few weeks, and go back down as the release of Ravnica approaches, and then stay down.  I wish I paid more attention to the price trends of packs, but... I don't pay super close attention.
I think with how often drafts and events that pay in booster packs take place each day the value of boosters is being diluted faster than before. Fomr what I've seen block boosters hold their value far better than core set boosters.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Like I posted in another thread, this problem really only came about when they stopped letting people use their winning packs to rejoin events (swiss sealed Qs). With such a huge margin of packs going out, not in, the market is competly flooded. Sure, there ARE drafts that let people use the packs, but with tics in higher demand than packs, the packs will ALWAYS be worth less until they change something. Wizard's are the ones driving down the price of packs by not making different entry options, plain and simple. If the Swiss Sealed Qs let people use their packs, that is 96 more boosters going into the system PER Q, where as one draft only eats 24 packs. With how many sealed Qs fire in a day, it is honestly crazy how much of a difference this would make in pack prices.  Release events are suppose to be a time of playing with new cards and having fun, and as a competitive player, it is hard to do when I have to sell EIGHT packs to BARELY cover the entry of another sealed, when I SHOULD be able to use 6. To me, their recent organzied play changes have really been for the worse, all events seem to be getting worse (Release events, MOCS, reducing dailys)...If anyone remembers 2.5, the prizes they use to give were real good, there were events with prize multipliers up to 6x, with the standard 1x payout of 24-18-12-12-6-6-6-6 (plus PEs ran EVERY day of the week, not just weekends)... modo has come a long way, and although the program and interface may be better, their organized play is only getting worse.
As Calavera said - getting ISD packs and drafting/sealed is a good plan.  I've been playing a lot of 4-Booster Sealed, only win 1 round really sucks because it's just 1 DKA, but if your a good player, 2 rounds gives you 1xDKA + 2xISD.  Not sure on going 3-0 because I'm crap and it rarely happens

Bots have DKA aound the 2.5 mark right now, I doubt it will ever get much higher but could get lower.  SOM Block, the SOM boosters ranged b/w 3.9-4.3 on bots, MBS 3-3.8 while the easiest boosters to win, NPH between 2-2.5. It's a similar pattern with ISD & DKA.

Anything that clearly beats the bot prices I'll buy.  I'd happily nab a handful of DKA at 2 tix, supply when needed at 2.33 - any higher it's just easier to go to the bot (look me up, same nick!).

I really think a lot of Humans selling on the Classifieds miss the point of bot-prices - trying to sell at the same price is redundant, always round down!!!

Yeah most people are greedy and overcharge. I hate when people advertise something at a price EX. 166 commons for 1 Tix. Then you get in there and a few commons you want are 0.125 tix when all the commons you choose should not be anything until you hit the 75 mark and then stash the other x = amount of cards as the remainder. 
<...>modo has come a long way, and although the program and interface may be better, their organized play is only getting worse.

Just want to make a quick distintion here:  Organized play is getting better, but prizes are getting worse.

Yeah most people are greedy and overcharge. I hate when people advertise something at a price EX. 166 commons for 1 Tix. Then you get in there and a few commons you want are 0.125 tix when all the commons you choose should not be anything until you hit the 75 mark and then stash the other x = amount of cards as the remainder. 

Those bots get a coveted spot on my blocked list with the notation scammer/fraud since they aren't actually living up to their own ads. I highly recommend this so as to remind you in 3-4 months when you forget and try to trade with them again.

Winter.Wolf

Those bots get a coveted spot on my blocked list with the notation scammer/fraud since they aren't actually living up to their own ads. I highly recommend this so as to remind you in 3-4 months when you forget and try to trade with them again.

Yeah that is a good point on blocking the bots I will make sure to do this from now on.
I think there is a pretty good chance the prices go up quite a bit when the new version goes live. Mostly because a lot of the bots wont be ready yet
I think there is a pretty good chance the prices go up quite a bit when the new version goes live. Mostly because a lot of the bots wont be ready yet

No, because of the way that we are tranisitioning, bots will have plenty of time to re-program, unlike the v2 to v3 switch.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
To me, their recent organzied play changes have really been for the worse, all events seem to be getting worse (Release events, MOCS, reducing dailys)...If anyone remembers 2.5, the prizes they use to give were real good, there were events with prize multipliers up to 6x, with the standard 1x payout of 24-18-12-12-6-6-6-6 (plus PEs ran EVERY day of the week, not just weekends)... modo has come a long way, and although the program and interface may be better, their organized play is only getting worse.

Actually the 1x events were 12-9-6-6-3-3-3-3 and the only events that offered them were momir premiers.  Everything else was a minimum of 2x, which is why you believe that.  There wasn't a tourney with a 144 packs 1st prize on 2.5 which would be 24*6

yes ive never seen pack prices this low

m13 was 2.50 cents this is outrageous thats rediculous man what are u doing wotc is this set not worth anything this never gets this low before