The Demonomicon of Iggwilv - Shemeshka the Marauder

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Demonomicon of Iggwilv
Shemeshka the Marauder

by Brian R. James and Todd Stewart

Shemeshka the Marauder is as much a fixture of the extraplanar metropolis of Sigil as its portals. The “King of the Cross-Trade” is a paragon of her kind, and she is curiously unique. She combines a raavasta’s moral depravity with the golden veneer of a pampered and cultured noble—and she possesses all the arrogant pretension of both.  

Talk about this article here.

good article. my only complaint is i think they should have reprinted shemeshka's stats
good article. my only complaint is i think they should have reprinted shemeshka's stats

If anyone is wondering Shemeshka's stats were in the Demonomicon book. I do find it wierd they didn't repeat the stats in the article. This otherwise great article feels incomplete without them.
The article actually went through quite a number of last minute revisions, and originally there were some stat blocks. However the sections those pertained to got cut, and in order to come in under the desired word count there wasn't really room to print the Marauder's stat block (though Brian and I did reference the location of her 4e stats - and fwiw while she didn't have 3.x stats, I've generally used her as an arcanaloth with around 7 sorcerer levels added on).

Suffice to say I'm ecstatic that I got to work on this, and thanks really goes out to Brian for asking to bring me on board. And if folks enjoyed this piece and/or simply want to see more planar (or Planescape) themed material, please let WotC know because that certainly cant hurt things - especially with their recent solicitation of feedback moving forward into 5e.

Any questions you guys have, or comments on the article I'm all ears, and I'm sure that Brian would feel likewise.
Shemeska the Marauder, Freelancer 5 / Yugoloth 10
Sort of confused by The implication that Shemeska has a tiefling daughter, since they don't work that way anymore. I suppose shape shifters can breed true to their shape? I dunno.
Sort of confused by The implication that Shemeska has a tiefling daughter, since they don't work that way anymore. I suppose shape shifters can breed true to their shape? I dunno.

It's implied that Kylie might be her daughter, and that was a rumor that was present even back in the 2e sources ('Uncaged: Faces of Sigil' is an amazing book). 4e PoL default tieflings don't work the same way as 2e or 3e tieflings in terms of heritage or origin, but in this case I stayed true to the setting specific sources.

I suppose you could make the rumor untrue, or work it such that the 'loth (to use the 2e term) produced a tiefling daughter by magical means rather than actual breeding, or that she produced a tiefling daughter while shapeshifted as a tiefling. Ultimately, as always, warp the lore to fit the specifics of your own campaign and its needs.
Shemeska the Marauder, Freelancer 5 / Yugoloth 10
Even in 4e, the "descended from the cursed nobles of Bael Turath" story is only the default tiefling origin. There's nothing stating definitively that every tiefling has to be a Turathi descendant, so it is still perfectly possible to be a tiefling because your grandmother was secretly a succubus, or because you're an infernal pact warlock and your patron thinks you look cute with goat horns, or whatever. And even the 'default' Bael Turath backstory only applies to the PoL/Nentir Vale setting; Tieflings in Eberron and Forgotten Realms still have the same origins they had prior to 4e (AFAIK), and tieflings in Dark Sun have their own (vague) origins.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Sign In to post comments