Trying to come up with a good 5th man.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Starting a new campaign soon. We are starting at level 1 (boring), but to compensate us he's giving us a bonus feat (less boring). Right now we have an Elementalist, a Thief, a Slayer or Barbarian (he hasn't decided), and a hybrid Warden/Cleric. The Warden/Cleric is going to MC Shaman and take the additional heal/encounter so he can keep up with heals, at least in heroic. Originally I was going to roll up a hybrid Cleric/Sentinal, but after thinking on it I think that might be heal overkill. The only reason I didn't want to go straight Cleric and take the fey beast theme is because I wanted easy access to the druid powers for some control since the party is lacking a bit. However, like I said, I'm not really sure what niche I can fill in this group. I'm fairly confident in our Warden's ability to fill both the defender and the leader rolls. With 3 strikers, one of them being pretty controlly (Ice Prison is such a good power. Like really.) I dunno what I should do to fill in the blank.

So, I'm asking some advice. I like the idea of the Cleric/Sentinal, but like I said earlier, I dunno if that would be leader overkill. I suppose I could go with a Cleric/Invoker or Cleric/Druid. If you all think that the heals will be fine, then I might go with a classic Swordlock. I just figured we could still use a touch of leader. 
[...] we have an Elementalist, a Thief, a Slayer or Barbarian [...]

Warlord. Granted attacks. Win.

Your party is lacking Int, controller, and half a leader. So, maybe something like Eladrin Warlord|Wizard? Go with lazy powers, between Elementalist, Thief and Slayer (or Barbarian) you'll have a lot of good basic attack options. And wizard powers for when you need control.

As awesome of an idea as that is (it really is one), I don't think so. I've never been a fan of the Warlord, particularly lazy builds. Something about the class has just never sat with me well, which is a shame because I realize how crazy effective they are at their jobs.
I was going to suggest an animist shaman or shaman/controller.

It has enabling, temp hit point generation, int skills and some control.
I was going to suggest an animist shaman or shaman/controller.

It has enabling, temp hit point generation, int skills and some control.

Another solid idea, but for flavor reasons I don't want to be redundant with the Warden and his spirit companion. The Shaman is one of my favorite leaders though. I might see if there's something I can do to work with that. If the Warden wasn't already taking a spirit companion I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Artificer?
Artificer|Wizard?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Warlock|Warlord. Play it as a controller, but pick up all the leader-esque utilities.
I would do an enchanter mage or maybe a preservation invoker.  If you really want more healing mc cleric and power swap for bastion of health at level 6.  Take knight hospitaler as your theme too since that will give you some decent immediate damage reducation which is as good as healing.  Enchanter mage has powers that let your allies hit enemies too so that or a hybrid wizard gives you semi enabling.

Hybrid cleric/wizard, cleric/invoker, or wizard/artificer would also work and you can build a solid controller out of that and have a good int score for any of those along with some healing and some semi enabling.
Psion would work well to.  Dishearten will do alot to protect your allies..

Betrayal can "grant" attacks.  And later, you dominate the enemy and have them run past your allies.  And forced oppertunist could just decimate someone.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

As awesome of an idea as that is (it really is one), I don't think so. I've never been a fan of the Warlord, particularly lazy builds. Something about the class has just never sat with me well, which is a shame because I realize how crazy effective they are at their jobs.

Bard then. It is pretty much the best answer to the 5th man question regardless, since it's an Enabling/Buffing/Movement Leader with Solid Defenses, Hard Control powers, and can operate in Melee or Range
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Flameswitch? Just look for the build here on the forum. It a shaman|artificer/invoker with loads of awsome.