First homebrew campaign

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, as you can probably guess i'm planning to construct my first homebrew campaign. My party of friends and I are going to play through the prescripted redbox,DM kit and monster vault adventures to learn the ropes then we shall start fresh with new characters and cause untold havok in the world i plan to create.

My party will consist of a party of 5. I have had a few odd requests for their eventual characters, one being a cat person which i have covered with the stats of a race in the monster manual. Another request was for a necromancer, i've searched the web and most are repurposed warlocks or a class from heroes of shadow or something.

It would be great if someone could give me a little feedback on my campaign beginning:

Essentially my idea was to avoid the whole 'met at an inn' cliche' and instead i came up with what i think is a pretty cool idea. I would have the players chained/tied to an obelisk in the middle of the desert, woken by desert dwelling kobolds looking to scavenge from them ( the players have nothing but the clothes on their back). This would have the players have the break from their bonds (strength to break, stealth/thievery to slip out, arcane to magically untie the bonds, and maybe anything like flame based powers to burn through the bonds or any other ideas my players can concoct) and overpower the kobolds (minions, with maybe a pack animal carrying water/food, some gold and possibly even basic weapons for the players to commandeer). After this beginning I'd have the players face the peril of the deserts to seek civilisation or shelter...

anyway thats one idea for starting a campaign, any feedback/constructive critisism is welcome. Smile 

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad idea to start a campaign, I think its good because it goes against the grain of the old 'meet in an inn', 'old man points to a dungeon with treasure', and who can forget the 'attacked on the road to X town and decides to follow the retreating attackers' ... whilst I have never played D&D I know that these are old, stale beginnings for a campaign, maybe they would be the best for my first campaign, maybe not... Anyway if anyone could fill me in on what a good beginning for a campaign is and perhaps what i should plan for a story arc that the characters will more or less follow throughout the tiers.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and maybe comment. Smile
I sounds like you are off to a great start. Using your imagination to mix it up a bit. I just created my account and started reading some of the threads. Reading the beginning of your campaign brings back very fond memories of when I started playing AD&D many, many moons ago.

Keep us posted on how the campaign went.
A campaign usually starts out with the PCs meeting in a bar, then dropping the hook, then getting the job, then hunting down the job. Occasionally if I decide to start an adventure as such, I just skip all the starting boring stuff, assumed it happened and drop them at the start of the first battle, mid job.
In that case you might like to adventure here: yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/201...

The Citadel is in the desert - it is home to numerous 'snatcher' species  -Harpies, Manticore, Gargoyles, and so forth but the Megadungeon/abandoned ruin will give your PCs something to seek water and shelter in.

enjoy. 
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Hi, as you can probably guess i'm planning to construct my first homebrew campaign. My party of friends and I are going to play through the prescripted redbox,DM kit and monster vault adventures to learn the ropes then we shall start fresh with new characters and cause untold havok in the world i plan to create.

My party will consist of a party of 5. I have had a few odd requests for their eventual characters, one being a cat person which i have covered with the stats of a race in the monster manual. Another request was for a necromancer, i've searched the web and most are repurposed warlocks or a class from heroes of shadow or something.

It would be great if someone could give me a little feedback on my campaign beginning:

Essentially my idea was to avoid the whole 'met at an inn' cliche' and instead i came up with what i think is a pretty cool idea. I would have the players chained/tied to an obelisk in the middle of the desert, woken by desert dwelling kobolds looking to scavenge from them ( the players have nothing but the clothes on their back). This would have the players have the break from their bonds (strength to break, stealth/thievery to slip out, arcane to magically untie the bonds, and maybe anything like flame based powers to burn through the bonds or any other ideas my players can concoct) and overpower the kobolds (minions, with maybe a pack animal carrying water/food, some gold and possibly even basic weapons for the players to commandeer). After this beginning I'd have the players face the peril of the deserts to seek civilisation or shelter...

anyway thats one idea for starting a campaign, any feedback/constructive critisism is welcome. Smile 

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad idea to start a campaign, I think its good because it goes against the grain of the old 'meet in an inn', 'old man points to a dungeon with treasure', and who can forget the 'attacked on the road to X town and decides to follow the retreating attackers' ... whilst I have never played D&D I know that these are old, stale beginnings for a campaign, maybe they would be the best for my first campaign, maybe not... Anyway if anyone could fill me in on what a good beginning for a campaign is and perhaps what i should plan for a story arc that the characters will more or less follow throughout the tiers.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and maybe comment.

If you need a cat person, why not use Razorclaw Shifters?