Entering Tournament... Help with deck. Vampiric Chaos

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vampiric-chaos/

This'll be the deck I'm using.  What are your thoughts on things I should either switch out, get rid of, or add into the deck?  My card selection isn't that wide of a variety considering I used almost all the Vamps I own for this deck.  Even had to have a friend send me a good amount of the reds.  Anyway, I've gotten a couple compliments that the deck is pretty solid over at the FNM I go to.  But, wanna hear some opinions from you guys and gals.

Thanks,
~Amp
Ok, so one important rule of deckbuilding

Keep your deck at 60 cards. In 99.99% of the cases, this will be correct.

So... the deck is seriously lacking in power.  Cut all the instants, all the enchantments, all the sorceries, all the artifacts, and cut down to 25 lands max. Add back in victim of the night and tragic slip. see if you can trade for 4 of each, they are a common so this should be possible. See if you can trade for cards that deal damage or kill creatures, like brimstone volley

Have fun at your FNM, if people are complimenting your deck, its because they want you to like magic cards, which is a great sign. Who cares if your deck is bad, as long as the people you are playing with want you to have a good time.
Hmm...  I can understand some of the Enchantments and Such going.  I can't really see the point in getting rid of Executioner's Hood, though.

Nor can I see the point in getting rid of my 2 Curse of Stalked Prey's.  That works TOO well with my deck.   But, I suppose that part was a bit obvious.  Other than that, I suppose I could do without some lands and some of my Instants/Sorceries/etc.

Creature-Wise, what should I get?  I do plan on replacing one of my Heirs of Stromkirk with an Olivia Voldaren when I get one.  What else should I go for?
You really want 4 of stromkirk noble, stromkirk captain, and vampire nighthawk. +1/+1 counters theme is a bit weak, but if you dont want to leave it, consider volt charge, a reasonable removal spell, and proliferate boosts up all those counters (personally I suggest dropping the theme)

Also note that +1/+1 counters and undying dont work well together at all.

4 drops give vampires their power with cards like bloodline keeper.falkenrath aristocrat, and olivia voldaren. In very black versions vampire nocturnus can be amazing. 
You really want 4 of stromkirk noble, stromkirk captain, and vampire nighthawk. +1/+1 counters theme is a bit weak, but if you dont want to leave it, consider volt charge, a reasonable removal spell, and proliferate boosts up all those counters (personally I suggest dropping the theme)

Also note that +1/+1 counters and undying dont work well together at all.

4 drops give vampires their power with cards like bloodline keeper.falkenrath aristocrat, and olivia voldaren. In very black versions vampire nocturnus can be amazing. 

Alright, check it now.  I updated it, bringing my deck size down to 60 for the time being.  I can find some more Tragic Slip's, I think I have 3 of them laying around here somewhere.  That being said, I am thinking of trading an Omniscience for Olivia Voldaren, but I need to find said trader first.  I removed my Undying creatures, adding some to my sideboard, mainly because right now, I lack other cards to put there that are useful.  I'm thinking of adding in 2 Searing Spear's because well...  3 Damage.  That being said, my friend is mailing me Bloodline Keeper in a couple days.  As for the rest of your advice, as stated in the deck description, my main purpose is to get it over with as quickly as possible.  +1/+1 counters are my effective method of doing this.  I'm sure others have different ways, like mostly Creatures, Sorceries/Instants, etc.  Each has their own way.  This is mine.  Any other thoughts, though?
The biggest problem with vampires is that they are slow in a meta game that is very unforgiving to slow decks.  Even more so for you, since you are missing a number of your best early drops (namely stromKirk nobles 2-4.  They are not as important as they were a couple of weeks ago (meta game seems to be shifting away from humans a bit), but they are still an outstanding 1-drop.

Since your bread and butter is applying +1/+1 counters, you should seriously consider volt charge.   

I don't really like Olivia main deck.  Great sideboard, but I would rather have a bloodline keeper in the main.

My brother in law is playing vampires right now and he's taken it in more of a control direction.  He's running blood artist and a bunch of the lifelink vampires.  It's not working for him.  He's too slow to face the aggro, and he's wide open to sweepers. Granted, he refuses to deviate from his 2:1 land ratio no matter how many times he "gets mana screwed", but that's not the main problem.  Even when he curves out well, he's just one or two turns too slow.

The rationale behind removing the hood is this:  why is it in the deck in the first place?  To make sure the creature to which it is equipped is not blocked, right?  Well killing the blocker or choosing a creature witch inherent evasion does that job better.  Think about it:  would you rather drop this on turn 2, then equip it on turn 3 to your one and only creature (assuming it did not meet a gut shot in the previous two turns), or would you rather drop a second turn child of night, followed by turn 3 Captain Kirk?
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.

The rationale behind removing the hood is this:  why is it in the deck in the first place?  To make sure the creature to which it is equipped is not blocked, right?  Well killing the blocker or choosing a creature witch inherent evasion does that job better.  Think about it:  would you rather drop this on turn 2, then equip it on turn 3 to your one and only creature (assuming it did not meet a gut shot in the previous two turns), or would you rather drop a second turn child of night, followed by turn 3 Captain Kirk?

Generally, I have it in there because I usually have other creatures to block with by the time that I choose to play it.  My problem with blockers is that generally, most of my creatures have a pretty low toughness, and only two cards in my deck help me in this case.  And that's because they're my only First Strike wielders.  Markov Blademaster because of Double Strike, and Stromkirk Captain because it gives all my vampires I control First Strike.  It's difficult for me to get my hands on some of these cards, which is why I have such a low amount of them.  Hence, one of the Captain.  Other than that, I suppose it shouldn't matter much, considering I have 4 Heirs of Stromkirk.  And they come with Intimidate, but it's mainly for my blacks with Lifelink.  It really helps when I get my Curse of Stalked Prey out.  Believe me, as much as I'd love to remove them, I would need cards to replace them first.  Which I just don't have at the time being.  I'll keep it in mind for later, though.
Contagion Clasp goes immensely well here, surely?

A kill spell that turns into aggro ramp for your own creatures!  

DCI Judge Level 1

Contagion Clasp goes immensely well here, surely?

A kill spell that turns into aggro ramp for your own creatures!  

Interesting.  I'll look into it.  But, when October 5th hits, it's out.  This is a Standard deck, so, yeah.  .w.
This is the vampire deck I've been running lately that seems to hava bit more sucess than other vampire decks I've seen. My logic here was that it is highly aggro and each creature has a quality effect on the board state so when I swing with multiple vampires there is no good blocking choice since if one gets through the game state changes significantly. Not to mention the turn 3-4-5 captain-keeper-bloodlord (Bloodline keeper can produce 6/6 flying first strike vampires: 8/8 if he flips) 

4x Stromkirk Noble
4x Markov Blademaster
4x Stromkirk Captain
4x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Rakish Heir
2x Olivia Voldaren
2x Bloodline Keeper
2x Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
2x Stuffy Doll

4x Shock
2x Bump in the Night
2x Curse of Stalked Prey
2x Searing Spear
2x Murder

9x Swamp
9x Mountain
4x Dragonskull Summit

Alright.  Update.  Unfortunately, I will not be participating in the tournament tomorrow.  But on a lighter note, the reason is because I'm going to the beach, instead, so...  Here's to next week.  Anyway, continue posting advice if you like.  I'll look at it when I get home.  Not sure when that'll be though, just some time before next week's Wednesday.  Alright, see ya guys and gals.
Anyway, continue posting advice if you like.

I advise you to remember your sunscreen!

Anyway, continue posting advice if you like.

I advise you to remember your sunscreen!

Bitch, please.  I always remember my sunscreen.  XD And by always, I mean never.

Bitch, please.  I always remember my sunscreen.  XD And by always, I mean never.

Alright.  So, it turns out, I'll be home Friday morning.  So, I'mma take that opportunity to go to my first sanctioned FNM.  Let the deck helping be BACK ON!  .w.
I have updated my deck a bit for tonight's FNM.  I took out a few unnecessary cards and replaced them with some damage dealers.  So, please review it.  I will be leaving around 6 PM EST because FNM starts at 7 PM EST.

Thank you all. 
I'm not going to lie, this deck looks very easy to take down.
Curse of Misfortune doesn't make any sense. You only have two other curses and they both cost less than Curse of Misfortune. It really just throws off your mana curve. You are better off putting in another Curse of Stalked Prey
Mark of the Vampire is not very good. Too much mana.
You should really add two more Vampire Nighthawk He's a monster for 3 mana.
Markov Warlord should probably be removed. Too much mana for a aggro deck.
Markov Patrician should definitely be removed.
Markov Blademaster should also be removed because of the double mountains for a 1/1 with DS.
Heirs of Stromkirk really throw off your mana curve and aren't really needed.
Chosen of Markov is a pretty bad card.
I'd add in 3 more Bloodline keeper and some Blood artist so you don't get destroyed when you get field wiped.
Falkenwrath Marauders also aren't very good.
Searing Spear can be replaced with Incinerate or Pillar of Flame
Volanic Geyser can be removed and if you can afford it throw in a Bonfire of the damned
Reliquary tower makes no sense
Definitely need 3 more Dragonskull summit
Executioner's Hood doesn't make much sense either.

With your lack of double manas getting the 2B and 2R creatures out will be tough. Your only chance of winning is winning fast so putting those high mana creatures in will really ruin your chances. Executioner's hood will slow you down. You are too vulnerable to black at the moment and have few answers to flying. You have no field wiping cards so you can get out numbered very easily. Your power requires you to do damage to an opponent so you can get overpowered quickly. Bloodline keeper is the only card that would prevent that.
I'm not going to lie, this deck looks very easy to take down.
Curse of Misfortune doesn't make any sense. You only have two other curses and they both cost less than Curse of Misfortune. It really just throws off your mana curve. You are better off putting in another Curse of Stalked Prey
Mark of the Vampire is not very good. Too much mana.
You should really add two more Vampire Nighthawk He's a monster for 3 mana.
Markov Warlord should probably be removed. Too much mana for a aggro deck.
Markov Patrician should definitely be removed.
Markov Blademaster should also be removed because of the double mountains for a 1/1 with DS.
Heirs of Stromkirk really throw off your mana curve and aren't really needed.
Chosen of Markov is a pretty bad card.
I'd add in 3 more Bloodline keeper and some Blood artist so you don't get destroyed when you get field wiped.
Falkenwrath Marauders also aren't very good.
Searing Spear can be replaced with Incinerate or Pillar of Flame
Volanic Geyser can be removed and if you can afford it throw in a Bonfire of the damned
Reliquary tower makes no sense
Definitely need 3 more Dragonskull summit
Executioner's Hood doesn't make much sense either.

With your lack of double manas getting the 2B and 2R creatures out will be tough. Your only chance of winning is winning fast so putting those high mana creatures in will really ruin your chances. Executioner's hood will slow you down. You are too vulnerable to black at the moment and have few answers to flying. You have no field wiping cards so you can get out numbered very easily. Your power requires you to do damage to an opponent so you can get overpowered quickly. Bloodline keeper is the only card that would prevent that.

Only half of this post really makes sense to me.  For one.  Who said this was an aggro deck?  Second, remove Blademaster?  No.  That makes no sense AT ALL.  It's a 1/1 with DS that gains +1/+1 for each hit.  Equip that with Executioner's Hood if they don't have something to block with, that's 3 on the first time, 7 on the second time, and 11 on the third time.  That's 21 damage, which is usually a game winner by the time I have it at that strength.  Another thing is that I made do with what I have.  I don't have all the cards everyone has suggested.  You realize that getting some of those cards is PURE luck besides directly buying them.  Another thing is that removing Mark of the Vampire doesn't make much sense either.  It gets +2/+2 and Lifelink.  That's great.  I only have one Dragonskull Summit.  I need to get my hands on some Blood Artist's.  i can MAYBE understand Misfortunes being replaced, but I don't have anything to replace it with.

I repeat, the majority of your post doesn't make too much sense to me, and it doesn't seem like you read my deck description, either.  It revolves around +1/+1 counters.  Most of your advice didn't help me at all.  I'm sorry. 
I guarantee if you don't change the deck you wont make it any higher than 15th place unless there are only 15 people playing. It's not about what you have and can do its about what you will be facing. Every deck you will be facing can do what youre doing faster or has a answer to what you're doing.
Second, remove Blademaster?  No.  That makes no sense AT ALL.  It's a 1/1 with DS that gains +1/+1 for each hit.

The problem is everyone (And I mean everyone) is running gut shot in the main right now.
Second, remove Blademaster?  No.  That makes no sense AT ALL.  It's a 1/1 with DS that gains +1/+1 for each hit.

The problem is everyone (And I mean everyone) is running gut shot in the main right now.

I haven't seen anyone play that card in like the last 2 months but there are so many other cards that shut this deck down.
Black
Curse of Death's Hold
Mutilate
Black Sun's Zenith
Sheoldred
Phyrexian Crusader
Geralf's Messenger
Various kill cards.
Blue
Fog Bank
Vapor Snag
Mana Leak
Delver of Secrets
Green
Strangleroot Geist
Predator Ooze
Huntmaster of the Fells
Craterhoof Behemoth
Thragtusk
White
Elesh Norn, Grand Cerobite
Sublime Archangel
Oldric, Master Tactician
Lingering Souls
Mirran Crusader
Stonehorn Dignitary
Restoration Angel
Red
Bonfire of the Damned
Arc Trail
Whipflare
Inferno Titan
Artifact
Tempered Steel deck
Sword of War and peace

Those are just a quick list I saw in the last couple days at standard that this deck has no answer to.
I guarantee if you don't change the deck you wont make it any higher than 15th place unless there are only 15 people playing. It's not about what you have and can do its about what you will be facing. Every deck you will be facing can do what youre doing faster or has a answer to what you're doing.

Creating a deck and joining in FNM means you also understand the meta there.  It's not something that you'll waste dollars on premium cards to have a stronger deck.   

I've read that his deck is getting good compliments, so that's it.  He only needs advice for some few tweaks and changing the deck almost entirely. 

I haven't seen anyone play that card in like the last 2 months but there are so many other cards that shut this deck down.

If you think that [CARD]Gut Shot[/CARD] isn't being played right now you clearly haven't played any standard for 2 months.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Creating a deck and joining in FNM means you also understand the meta there.  It's not something that you'll waste dollars on premium cards to have a stronger deck.   

I've read that his deck is getting good compliments, so that's it.  He only needs advice for some few tweaks and changing the deck almost entirely. 

They also stated they have yet to play it in a standard tournament......
@rorix lol still butt hurt from being stupid in the other thread. Gut shot isn't used in my meta ;)

They also stated they have yet to play it in a standard tournament......
@rorix lol still butt hurt from being stupid in the other thread. Gut shot isn't used in my meta ;)

Actually you were stupid for posting outdated lists from GPs that aren't relevant anymore and if people aren't playing Gut Shot in your meta it must mean they are playing bad decks which would further support my argument that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

You are completely right! If gut shot isn't in your main deck it is definitely a horrible terrible bad deck and I retract everything I have ever said ever. Ok. Now go be stupid somewhere else ;) I recommend applying ice to your rear until the butthurt goes away.
Blademaster has been and always will be a really poor quality card. Whether or not people run Gut Shot or not is irrelevant. Just so you know.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Blademaster has been and always will be a really poor quality card. Whether or not people run Gut Shot or not is irrelevant. Just so you know.

Until you can explain how, I can't agree with you.  that's just how I am.  Sorry.  Anyway.  It turns out that tonight's was 2HG, and...  Well, I didnt have a deck prepared for a team.

We lost on round 1 due to the fact that I got mana overloaded and practically no creatures.  Second round was because my partner had the same issue I had for the first round.  Either way.  We did okay, and I like my deck.  I still need some more tips for it, and it needs more working.  I'll agree on that.  But a complete re-work...  Nah...  I'll pass.  That being said.  the good news is that I got my hands on 4 Blood Artist's.

Anyway, if you'd like to still help me with the deck, be my guest, please. 

Until you can explain how, I can't agree with you.  that's just how I am.  Sorry.  Anyway.  It turns out that tonight's was 2HG, and...  Well, I didnt have a deck prepared for a team.

Blademaster dies to everything. Vapor Snag resets the counters, Tragic Slip makes short work of him, any kind of removal can most certainly deal with him. Meanwhile, the card doesn't even do anything right away. It can't attack or block effectively until it already has hit the opponent once or twice, and to do that it needs to have already attacked! Even if it hits once, it only hits for 2 damage, which isn't anything to be afraid of from a 3 drop. For it to be good, you need to be reliably hitting them for damage, and if you're doing that then you should be winning anyway. In short, it's too frail and doesn't impact the board enough to be relevant. Most of the time your opponent can just ignore it.

If you want a powerful double-striker, try Hound of Grislebrand, but even that isn't really played. 

Blademaster dies to everything. Vapor Snag resets the counters, Tragic Slip makes short work of him, any kind of removal can most certainly deal with him. Meanwhile, the card doesn't even do anything right away. It can't attack or block effectively until it already has hit the opponent once or twice, and to do that it needs to have already attacked! Even if it hits once, it only hits for 2 damage, which isn't anything to be afraid of from a 3 drop. For it to be good, you need to be reliably hitting them for damage, and if you're doing that then you should be winning anyway. In short, it's too frail and doesn't impact the board enough to be relevant. Most of the time your opponent can just ignore it.

If you want a powerful double-striker, try Hound of Grislebrand, but even that isn't really played. 

Generally speaking, I don't play Blademaster unless I already know I can reliably hit them.  Then, it becomes a force to be reckoned with.  Lemme add this up for you.  First time it deals damage to a player.  If it can hit with both, that's 3.  Next turn, it's 7, and then it's 11.  I'm not saying it's not easy to dispose of.  But, if you know you can hit with it, it's deadly.  Again.  I understand what you're trying to say, but I use it pretty well.  It's a helpful card in my opinion, and until I can replace it with something better, it stays.
I feel that blademaster is a risky card. If you hit with it, it builds up fast. 1/1, 3/3, 5/5. Before you know it the thing starts hitting hard. It needs to be dealt with. I feel like the card is more of a means of burning their removal on it, while you play your real card.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Generally speaking, I don't play Blademaster unless I already know I can reliably hit them.  Then, it becomes a force to be reckoned with.  Lemme add this up for you.  First time it deals damage to a player.  If it can hit with both, that's 3.  Next turn, it's 7, and then it's 11.  I'm not saying it's not easy to dispose of.  But, if you know you can hit with it, it's deadly.  Again.  I understand what you're trying to say, but I use it pretty well.  It's a helpful card in my opinion, and until I can replace it with something better, it stays.

And as I said, if you can reliably hit with a fragile creature with no evasion, you're winning anyway. You should play with cards that help you when you're losing or when it's close, not make it total overkill when you're already winning.

Don't bother giving this person tips. They don't want tips. They want to show off their deck and people to tell them they are right. Its a really bad deck and no matter of logic will penetrate their stubborness so just don't bother.
Don't bother giving this person tips. They don't want tips. They want to show off their deck and people to tell them they are right. Its a really bad deck and no matter of logic will penetrate their stubborness so just don't bother.

Excuse me, but, kindly leave.  This post was entirely unnecessary.  For one, I already took in some of the people's advice.  I plan on adding in Blood Artist's ASAP, considering I got 4 of them, and at first, I was reluctant to put them in, until I actually stopped and thought for a minute.  Second, you know absolutely nothing about me.  Don't talk about me, because you don't know me.  And finally, I cannot stress this enough, so I'll put it in bold.  >.>

I do not have anything better to replace a majority of the cards I have in this deck.

I used up almost all of my good Red's and Black's with this deck right here.  You can hand me advice all you like, but until I can actually get my hands on the cards people have suggested, there's nothing I can do about it.  I understand that everyone doesn't exactly know what I have.  Again, I'm just letting them, and you know that I don't have most of the cards they've suggested.

But this post, right here was not needed, and in most cases would get you an arguement.  What it got you here, instead, was getting called out.  Have a good day.

Excuse me, but, kindly leave.  This post was entirely unnecessary.  For one, I already took in some of the people's advice.  I plan on adding in Blood Artist's ASAP, considering I got 4 of them, and at first, I was reluctant to put them in, until I actually stopped and thought for a minute.  Second, you know absolutely nothing about me.  Don't talk about me, because you don't know me.  And finally, I cannot stress this enough, so I'll put it in bold.  >.>

I do not have anything better to replace a majority of the cards I have in this deck.

I used up almost all of my good Red's and Black's with this deck right here.  You can hand me advice all you like, but until I can actually get my hands on the cards people have suggested, there's nothing I can do about it.  I understand that everyone doesn't exactly know what I have.  Again, I'm just letting them, and you know that I don't have most of the cards they've suggested.

But this post, right here was not needed, and in most cases would get you an arguement.  What it got you here, instead, was getting called out.  Have a good day.

-face palm- Stupid just keeps growing worse.

Can you link the decklist as it is currently? Preferrably in the post rather than a link

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Your missing out on the really good vampire combos because you are just reading the cards and playing cards that are similar.. good idea but not with vampires.

stromkirk captain + falkenrath aristocrat

stromkirk captain + vampire nighthawk

blood artist + falkenrath aristocrat + brimstone volley

my main deck is vampires and id laugh at you the entire time (no offence) that I was playing you.

o yea and you DEFINITELY want dual r/b lands

Worry only about the current. Think about the rest. And you wont have to worry.

I'll start with the adds i suggest and then the drops.

Add:

3x tragic slip
3x stromkirk noble
3x bloodline keeper
2x vampire nighthawk
2x Curse of the Stalked Prey
2x falkenrath aristocrat
3x Go for the throat
3x Doom blade
1 or 2 Rakish Heir
2 or 3 dragonskull summit
and if you want u can also add Bump in the night i would suggest 3 or 4 (if you want to play them)

Now the drops:

Searing spear
Reliquary Tower
Falkenrath marauder
Markov Warlord
Mark of the vampire
Executioner's hood  
Curse of Misfortunes
Mark of Mutiny 
Heirs of Stormkirk
Markov Patrician (vampire nighthawk is way better)
Increasing vengeance

Hope this will help a bit. (i didn't really pay attention to the number of the drops so it might be more then 60) also addthe drops i added no numbers cause i think i should drop them completely.  

Sign In to post comments