YMTC Idol 10: Round 6

39 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMTCIdol10logo.jpg)

Welcome to the 10th installment of YMTC Idol!

YMTC Idol has come to be one of the longest running contests on these forums, and I'm happy to help usher it into its 10th year of challenging creative minds to etch their names into YMTC history.

The previous year saw thirty contestants enter the fray; in the end, Mown was left victorious. Thirty-nine hopefuls came to this year's call, but only twenty-four made it through the auditions, with four falling in the round thereafter. The second round claimed four more victims, followed by another three. Three more lost their way, and two more were lead astray, leaving eight remaining. Should you wish to reach glory, you must face the challenges set forth by my magnanimous panel. Your judges this year are...

[color=brown]Mown[/color], the winner of YMTC Idol 9!...
Kavu_Overlord, the winner of YMTC Idol 8!...
And your host, Rush_Clasic, the winner of... um... erm... your hearts and affections!

Contestants
chi[mc][/mc]nkeeyong
Detektor
Elzaban_the_Ethereal
Imidazoline
Mono789
razorborne
silasw
Yushang

[color=purple]Round 6 Criteria[/color]:
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something... colorless?

The first criteria I ever posted for YMTC Idol was maybe the best received I've ever posted. The contestants liked it, the judges liked, and I sure felt like a class-act for thinking it up. Funny thing about accomplishment: it often loses its shine really quick (just look at the rest of the criteria from that year). Anyway, that's my something old. The something new is how I intend to implement that criteria. The something borrowed comes from the only contest I'm currently a competitor in (thanks, Imidazoline), as is the something colorless....

Assignment:
Create a land card with one or both of the following: an ability that functions from a zone other than the battlefield; or an ability that interacts with a zone other than the battlefield.

You have five days to submit your card (added some days due to the amount of cards; if you need an extension, ask and I might consider it). Two contestants will be eliminated this round.

Good luck!
Fiddler's Green
Legendary Land Creature - Illusion M
As long as Fiddler’s Green is in your command zone, tapped creatures you control have hexproof.
You may play Fiddler’s Green from your command zone if it’s your commander.
: Add or to your mana pool.
1/2
I'm struck by how this criteria is pretty much an identical inverse of the criteria in my contest at the moment. Pretty cool. I suck at reading. Thanks Rush.

I had an awesome idea, but then realised that was because CKY had just done it in said contest. Not so cool.

Land to come.
Dreamscape |
Land
As Dreamscape enters the battlefield, you may choose a basic land type. If you do, Dreamscape enters the battlefield tapped with that land type.
, return another land you control to its owner's hand: Exile Dreamscape, then return it to the battlefield under your control.
It exists, imagined into being by the footsteps of a million dreamers.
Kaolin Vale

Legendary Land

~ enters the battlefield tapped.

: Add  to your mana pool.

Ninjitsu -  
Kaolin Vale

Legendary Land

~ enters the battlefield tapped.

: Add  to your mana pool.

Ninjitsu -  

I can't remember you passing 5 rounds.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Aurora Summit
Land (R)

: Add to your mana pool.
Channel – , Discard Aurora Summit: Add to your mana pool. If this mana is spent to cast a spell, that spell can't be countered.

The light of the Everfire burns proudly at the crown of the world, penetrating even the thickest of fogs and the darkest of winter nights.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Inlet at Lethe
Land (R)
You may look at the top card of your library. (You may do this at any time.)
, Put the top card of your library into your graveyard: Add or one mana of that card's color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only any time you could cast an instant.
"Only a drip, lest you forget more than a few bad ideas."
-Kushin, Memoriamancer
\o/
Lich's Curse 
Enchantment
As long as ~ is in your graveyard and you control a Swamp, you can’t lose the game and opponents can’t win the game.
If you would lose life, if you control a Swamp and ~ is in your graveyard, instead exile that many cards from your graveyard.

WIP.

I clarified the criteria since apparenlty you read it not how I intended.
Yeah, I know, it's a land thing.  Just getting a working space here. :<
\o/
I really just want to make riftstone portal but like that's already a card.

anyway let's look at our options. zones things can reasonably function in: exile, hand, graveyard. library technically works if I want to do like a panglacial wurm type deal but I don't so screw it. I also don't want to do exile. exile is over-done here. sorry guys. it's true though. so we're looking at hand abilities or graveyard abilities. Rush already thought of unearth land so not doing that. let's see. what are our other options? a reveal from hand thing? I'll just go with a fairly obvious approach for now but I will update it later maybe?

Whiptongue Gorge
Land
Whiptongue Gorge enters the battlefield tapped.
, Discard Whiptongue Gorge: Put a 6/6 Wurm creature token with trample onto the battlefield.

I like how the decks that can use its upside are going to be less hurt by its downside, since ramp decks often don't need all their available mana on any given turn. I also made it tapped so you couldn't hold it back and then just play it and use it the turn you realize you need to drop it. makes it less autopiloty than other options for drawbacks. the cost could probably come down on the ability but a 6/6 trample costs at least 6 and the fact that it's playable as a land too makes it not take up one of your BDG slots, making it better. I expect it'll teach new players about the value of utilizing your resources: the first time you get stomped because you didn't have quite enough mana and were holding this back to be a big dude later is a huge learning experience. and then, once your dreams are crushed, you find things like trade routes that enables it to be awesome all over again. and those combos make me a little squeamish on the cost. eh I'll drop it to 8. (was 10) but I may go back up to 9 before the round is over.

okay, serious cost discussion time. the cheapest 6/6 trample green has without technical drawbacks is deus of calamity at 5, but the restrictive mana cost counts as a drawback. they have a bunch at 6, though. the ones have drawbacks, but the ones with double green don't, and often have upsides. the upside on Primeval Titan is probably way better than here, although note that this is uncounterable and has flash, which are additional upsides beyond the land thing. still, I think if I wanted to be hyper-aggressive I could do that. but I don't want it to be. I want it to be viable to play it as a land, and in order to do that it has to be a little harder to play it as a creature. if it cost 6 I doubt there would be very many times at all in which it was right to just lay it down. the other option is, of course, to make it a dual land, thus increasing the value of the land side, but then it feels too much like the Zendikar manlands so I'd like to avoid that. and I'd have to drive up the cost on the dude-making side anyway, tilting the scales towards the times you play it as a land. I feel a bit sketch-tastic about this, but I'm gonna push the power a bit and go with a cost of 7, considering these comparisons. I still want it to triple-green so that these require you to actually commit to their colors.

PS: I LOVE WURMS. 

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Refugees' Haven
Land
: Put Refugees' Haven from your hand onto the battlefield.  
They may not be the nicest looking of towns, but when your village is taken over by a tyrannical government or your house is burned down by a renegade pyromancer, you can't be picky when choosing where to call home.

It's acceleration in land form, sort of.  I cost it at 3 since at 2, it becomes too on par with something like Rampant Growth.  At three mana, it sill has some upside, but it won't always be right to just hold this in your hand.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Millenium Nexus
Land
[R]
Imprint — Millenium Nexus enters the battlefield tapped unless you exile a green or blue creature card from your hand.
: Add or to your mana pool.
Pay the exiled card's mana cost: Until end of turn, Millenium Nexus becomes a copy of the exiled card. It's still a land.
Evolution ends with a bang. Compleation ends with a whimper.

Kinda surprised Magic hasn't done this before: it's a DIY manland. The ability allows you to dodge countermagic and sorcery-speed removal, for the price of repeated payment and landishness
. I put this into green/blue both because they like mutating things, and because I didn't want to give access to combos like Phyrexian Dreadnought or Hunted Horror.
Vesuvan Tower
Land
Reveal a land card from your hand: Vesuvan Tower becomes a copy of the revealed card until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
If you try to find rest in a Vesuvan tower, you may wake up somewhere you never expected.

I'm just going to pretend Lotus Vale doesn't exist...

Are non-participants allowed to point out designs that don't functionally work?

Like not offer constructive criticism, but point out designs that don't follow the rules of Magic as a whole.

Like not offer constructive criticism, but point out designs that don't follow the rules of Magic as a whole.

I'm not the contest runner but I'm okay with it. although a quick review of the submissions doesn't reveal anything that fits that criteria, barring Yushang's wording error or Detek's making Hideaway an ability word which I'm pretty sure he knows it currently isn't.

I'm not the contest runner but I'm okay with it. although a quick review of the submissions doesn't reveal anything that fits that criteria, barring Yushang's wording error or Detek's making Hideaway an ability word which I'm pretty sure he knows it currently isn't.

That's exactly what I wanted to point out, but I didn't want to step out of line. <_< >_>
I'm not making an ability word like scry, I'm turning it into a pseudo-keyword like Wizards did to Threshold. It might have been doable with Imprint, except that I need the card to be face down.
my general feeling is that if a submission is just non-functional it's okay to point it out, since it always sucks from a judge's perspective to fail something for a stupid oversight, and it sucks from a player's perspective to win through disqualification anyway. where I think it crosses the line is when you're pointing out potential improvements to a functional design. like, if Detektor had submitted a plains with cycling for his and you were like "bro that's hecka boring." I wouldn't be okay with that, because if it biases towards a certain player then it becomes each of the other contestants against one conglomeration of designers all working to improve the last guy's submission. but like I said I am not the contest runner, so what you are/aren't allowed to say is ultimately up to Rush. 

that said, on Detek's submission specifically, I'm fairly certain he is aware of how Hideaway is supposed to function. however, how Hideaway is supposed to function is stupid, since they awksed it up because they never intended to use it again. things like designating a number within the reminder text, making it part of the rules that it entered the battlefield tapped, and other such decisions were all made with the knowledge that this mechanic was not something they were ever going to revisit. changing it to an ability word so that he can play with the function is totally understandable, and they've dissolved keywords before. (I'm looking at you, Islandhome) note that this is not an endorsement of Detek's design, simply a rationalization of its existence and functionality.

I'm not making an ability word like scry, I'm turning it into a pseudo-keyword like Wizards did to Threshold. It might have been doable with Imprint, except that I need the card to be face down.

no, Scry is a keyword action. your thing is an ability word.

no, Scry is a keyword action. your thing is an ability word.

Yeah, I got the terms screwed up.
Changed my submission anyways.
Round closed! Judges, your bottom three, please.
bump

Curious... As the grading gets easier due to less contestants, the choices for elimination become much harder...

Comments
Detektor
Millenium Nexus
If you had made this Simic I'd have loved it 110%, it seems to work so well. The balance looks good with the repeated payments when you want the dude… Yes, I say, I very much like this.

razorborne
Whiptongue Gorge
Well, uh, it's a wurm-land. Pretty straightforward. I do like the duality between mana when you need it/beater when you don't. It would be cooler if it tied in, flavorfully, to an existing wurm, but whatever, that's just me.

Yushang
Inlet at Lethe
The overall flavor of it is neat, but I wish there was a little more 'puzzle' to solve with it. It gives you all the pieces to use it effectively all by itself. Since the mana is guaranteed (you can't whiff if you hit a land, for example), it would be more interesting without the Jwar Isle peeking.

Imidazoline
Dreamscape
The ability is cute, but it practice, it's a Terramorphic Expanse that doesn't thin your deck, no? I suppose the second ability gives some LD-dodging powers, and type-resetting might be useful for some limited splashes, or if you're pushing your manabase to places it shouldn't be going in the first place... I see where you were going with the flavor, but I think you need JGL to give you the kick, because you've gone too deep!

Mono789
Refugee's Haven
Well, that's neat. Most likely balanced, because it's all-colorless and cost-comparitive to artifact mana, while giving bonuses to things that care about lands. The overall flavor is okay, but the flavor text seems off… Like it's too silly, and not in the good way, or something.

CKY
Aurora Summit
A ritual-on-legs(roots?) is interesting, especially one that gives sunburst, but red seems like a strange choice seeing as how it’s mostly a Channel the Suns. I sort of get it with the flavor connection. I like that the way to give a spell uncounterable-ness is, itself, uncounterable (as opposed to Overmaster)

silasw
Vesuvan Tower
I'm having a hard time seeing a bunch of useful upsides to this. It dodges drawbacks, but for lands those are usually only coming into play tapped (unless it's a truly degenerate case like the Lotus Vale you mentioned, which break things anyway). I mean... why not just play that land card?

Elzaban_the_Ethereal
Fiddler's Green
A land-general is… interesting, as a thought experiment. In practice, though, most Commander decks use their commander for degenerate (or at least semi-useful) things, and I'm not sure  conditional hexproof is up to the same standard. Outside of Commander, it's a pretty amazing dual land. The flavor reference is lost on me, sadly.

Bottom 3
CKY
silasw
Elzaban_the_Ethereal
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
I actually thought of dropping the Imprint and making it a Simic card, but the ability doesn't work very well with Graft. 
I'm just going to Mown a little about grades...
I had a surprise visit today, and limited time to play GW2 beta, which I haven't had access to before I fixed my computer. And driving lessons, and other excuses if you want me to.
My asura > this.

Yxoque wrote:

Oh poop! There was a stress test that I missed today, wasn't there.
Grades, now with more "Why couldn't you have made cards that I like more, I really didn't want to eliminate you."
Comments

Elzaban_the_Ethereal

I don't like Command Tower, and I like this even less. Now, this doesn't have the issue of being obviously overpowered justified by some singleton rule or some other thing. It can also be used in normal magic games to a certain degree, but two thirds of the text box is just meaningless. However, even as a commander, the card is incredibly clunky. Having to spell out that you can play it just because the rules specifically say cast is something that would probably be handled better by just changing the rules. As a commander, it encourages you to not play it. I don't get any sense of the card being a creature.

Imidazoline

The big question I'm asking myself is how big the memory issues are with this card. I can't imagine that you would actually have too much difficulty remembering what it was, as you're unlikely to play it in a deck with a lot of colors. However, it has an innate ability that encourages you to shift its property during gameplay, and that makes it a lot harder as it has been various types through the entire game. Especially with more than one in play. Other than that, I don't like how it's subtly a bit better than Terramorphic Expanse, and would have searched for another solution on how to blink it.

CKY

My biggest issue is how you took a dump on Channel the Suns, which I think is a perfectly reasonable card. This card, on the other hand, is itself uncounterable, makes the card uncounterable, and can be played as a land other times. It also makes playing combo a lot more safe, as you can dedicate land slots to stop disruption. I like the card conceptually and flavorfully, but I think you're trying too hard to make it competitive, and I don't see the necessity about making it uncounterable. Players are already whining enough about Cavern of Souls.

Yushang

I think the mill cost would fit better as part of the activation cost. I quite like the card though, but having to specify that it's not a mana ability is really unappealing. The flavor also seems to fork a bit. For a planeswalker you're using it for mana, and the memory erosion part of it is more of a side effect. However, it's minor, and I quite like the flavor otherwise.

razorborne

Feels like Wurmweaver Coil, just a land. I think Elemental would be more suitable, or make it a Forest and do Treefolks. But there's the whole wurms out of the ground argument, so it's not too bad. I think Whiptongue is a silly/stupid name. There's not a lot else to comment on, I think the costing is appropriate, if not slightly too green.

Mono789

Getting a high Terrain Generator vibe from this, which I probably consider a more interesting design. The repeated use of it means you get more out of trying to get it to work. I can see it working in a draw-go style deck, as it might want more land drops and can benefit from it if your opponent doesn't do anything. It doesn't make the card bad, it's a solid design with a cute niche, but it feels like an unnecessary one. I have some issues seeing the connection between the activated ability and the flavor, or if it's just supposed to support the fact that it's a colorless land.

Detektor

I'm pretty happy you scrapped the Hideaway idea. I have no idea how to judge the power level of the activated ability, I think it's a bit on the weak side, but I like that you can always play it as a tapland. Being able to make a creature vulnerable to sorcery speed removal could be valuable, but having to always pay the cost seems to me to be too costly, although you get to keep mana open. That means you're not using it to attack though, and you won't benefit from etb abilities either. I think you could go somewhere neat with this, but it's not quite there at the moment. Flavor text is a bit more epic than the card deserves, and uncertain why Phyrexia is involved.

silasw

An initial reaction is that the land is a bit too good, as it lets you circumvent etbt drawbacks of other lands in your hand. Especially when abused with Ravnica ones. The obvious drawback is that you need to keep a land in your hand to be able to continually use it, so it sets you back a land drop. However, even that can be ignored if you just use it with a fetchlands. The entire idea is really neat, and I like the flavor, but the drawbacks of the card seem negligible for the benefits it provides.
Also, Dark Depths.

Bottom Three

Detektor
CKY
Elzaban_the_Ethereal

Yxoque wrote:

Tomorrow's my day off. Expect grades then (or tonight with enough sacrificial offerings).
I'm going to be slightly controversial and change my opinion. I'm still having trouble figuring out if I want to reward innovation or not, but my mind has been repeatedly telling me how the list should look since I went to bed, so I'm going to trust it.

Yxoque wrote:

Phyrexia is involved because only Mirrodin cards have ever received Imprint, and Mirrodin is now totally overrun with Phyrexians.
comments

Elzaban_the_Ethereal

You aren't short of outrageous ideas, are you? The commander schtick would need a few rules overhauls, mostly noting that commanders can be played (cast is used only because there's no way for lands to command currently) and for the extra mana payment to work properly. All possible things. What I don't enjoy about this card is how much it beats you over the head with its purpose. If a design can be elegant about that, it goes a long way, but this card is just shouting the whole time "You're a commander! Rawr!" To the point that it'd feel awkward playing it elsewhere, and that's unfortunate.

Imidazoline

This just isn't as cool as it wants to be. Any basic you want, but tapped, isn't that appealing. I agree with you that it wants more, but the more you gave is odd and overcosted. This seems like a case of the criteria getting in the way of the design; one mana to change its landtype is perfectly fair without needing all the extra hoops. If it fit perfectly, you'd have something more on your hands, but it sits awkwardly attached and sorta messes the card up. Also, while I don't think bookkeeping would be that hard, it is a bit of a nuisance when you have multiples of this and they're changing.

Chin[/m]keeyon

/>

'm nohe e fan of ed on fll-pem, hee' peedene; old have ondeed onolole. alo old have pped he o, ne yo'e fn ononealy, and hee'eally no need o make p yo mana onhen he ool pavn yo all he olo. eally lke he flavo.

/>

Yhan

/>

A ladea, n ha'omehn mo deney oone o lae. Yo avoded he f pfall, ha, he mnhaomeh addn an nknon olo of mana o yo mana pool. Yo alo avoded he "pode no mana" nahaomeh . hee hnok aanhe ad' eleane, yoeem o manae ell enoh, hee. lke jevealnhe op of yo lay moe, hoh; had eally ood a fn mana, and onveno a em-daak alane a moe.

/>

azoone

/>

A ahemple mon hee, o he pala ae p fo mh moe ny. ' a dffeen appoah a man-land, one O haohed pon, noe n hapay. he hoe n hoo e addha elemen of kll ha makeh a oh e fo playe, and hoh yoalked ao hoha makehe ad moe neen, hnk add a level of ef o he ad han'he mo pleaan. Land have he aly of no needn a lo of hoh. Yo j play hem. omeme a eon ae, 'ally olvale n ha momen, ahehan akn a on oo pepaed hoh. honen mhe nflaed on my end, ha eneapped AND an yoo hold off fom playn me he onay.

/>

Mono

/>

hond he "la den evey YMell omeday y" ond. he dlemma h h one alayomen he o of ha ea play. My favoe ompaon o []ean eneao[/], hh o of he oppoe, a ood aelne anyay. 'd ay eneao a a he poe-level, hh ehe eon "Ho mh hold Haven' aly o?" he e ane've een [m], but if we were to remain colorless, going to seems to push it, so it sits in that awkward inbetween zone. You made the mistake of not adding a reveal clause in the cost. Players need to know what the 3 mana was just spent on!

Detektor

That... is very cool. I wouldn't say your imposed limitation solves the problem, though. Well, it does to a point. The question is whether the real problem is this or cards like Dreadnought. If the latter isn't a problem, then our future hold a green or blue version of it; maybe not as powerful or exact, but my point is that circumventing other costs is scary business. All this said, I don't think its a big issue, but it's something the game would always have to consider afterwards, the way it should have always considered counter removal spells after Dark Depths. The neat-factor overrides my concerns for now, and the little facets of the design, from the specific dual-land drawback to the animation to the colors, makes this card awesome in my eyes.

silasw

I find it funny how you and Detektor both have the same issue; that is, the Dreanought/Vale problem (convenient how they both were initially affected by the same errata). Disregarding broken cards for a moment, the Boros Garrison family seems way better when they come out untapped first turn. That's where I start to take issue with the balance: when fair cards threaten to break things. I like the card and its simpicity and its drawback that isn't a drawback; I just wish it had a better way to regulate itself.

nominations
chin[/m]keeyon />Elzaan_he_Eheeal />mdazolnev>v>v> /> />v la="ode-pole">la="ode-pole-ole" hef="#" daa-pole-hde="Hde">elmnaonv la="ode-pole-onen-appe">v la="ode-pole-onen">hn[m]keeyong = KO - 1; Mo - 2; RC - 1 = 4
Elzaban_the_Ethereal = KO - 3; Mo - 3; RC - 2 = 8

Thank you for your great participation. Please return next round when the possibility for public voting begins.

Blast you, Rush, you crushed my dreams of a perfect 9 point failure.

Haters gonna hate, but inelegant card was ridiculously inelegant. I started with the first ability and kind of stapled on the second one, and it didn't even occur to me that "You may play ~ from your command zone." would have suited the criteria and then I could have just made a joe landman that could be a decent commander, too.
If it makes the sting of elimination hurt less, I have to say that your Spellshaper stuff was A+ 5/5 fantastic in my eyes.
Good show, everyone.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

so how about that round 7, eh?

so how about that round 7, eh?

It's a secret, invisible criteria!
Sign In to post comments