Human, Melee, no magic items: How can I conquer 5 kingdoms?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello there! I'm trying to figure out a build for a VERY particular game, one of each your regular min maxing would net sub par results. 
Why? Two reasons: No magic items, at all.

And mob of soldiers that aren't actually minions.

Our group has an amazing Warlord playing as a healer, a decent newbie playing a Warden as our defender and a pretty mediocre (Can't say I blame him though) Warlock with it's single power damage.

We need a frontliner that can conquer the battlefield. One that will use the debuffs and damage from the Warlock, that will get the heals from the warlord and will be defended by the Warden.

I need my Lu Bu.

How should I do it? I tried going Barbarian (We are at level 11 soon to be 12) and while I did ok, because of no magic items I was suffering a bit. I still was the best striker at the table.

The GM is hellbent on providing us with challenge that are way over our heads, since our campaign is based on conquering territories, we just lost so much ground because we were in fewer number and couldn't take down the swarms fast enough (Remember: These aren't minions!)

I'd love to see what kind of killing machine you guys can recommend me to build.

I'd love even -more- if you guys just did recommendations, since part of the fun is figuring it out.
Currently I'm trying to make Monks work. They seem decent at hitting multiple foes, still undecided in Stone fist or Iron Soul. We do have a great Leader in the group...So I'm trying to build something using Stone Fist for the moment. 

Omnipresent Assault, the D20 from Ghost Blade is probably a good starting point.

You get to attack everything that you can see.  That means a whole army.  No magic items is harsh, but a party of Ghost Blades is fun.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?

Omnipresent Assault, the D20 from Ghost Blade is probably a good starting point.

You get to attack everything that you can see.  That means a whole army.  No magic items is harsh, but a party of Ghost Blades is fun.

Pardon my ignorance but could you point me out which book contains Omnipresent Assault?
The Ghost Blade paragon path was in Arcane Power.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
How about a hybrid Cleric | Ranger?  Pick up Battle Cleric's Lore for your additional +2 AC, and a hit bonus on healing word.  Hybrid Talent on... Prime Shot if you're in paragon and go with light blades, or Two-Weapon Fighting Style if you're in heroic and use the biggest weapons available.

Sounds pretty brutal, so I'd take any feats or class features that pay off right now, rather than later.
No magic items, hmmm.  Can you access rituals via the ritual caster feat? (Not necessarily to create magic items, either.)

I am assuming your DM will use inherent bonuses too to help fix the game math.  (Definitely should; if not I would choose the Unseelie Agent theme for its Creature Shadow-Wrought Weapon power, no questions asked!)

What about alternative rewards?  (Often provided in magic-lite campaigns 'in lieu of' magic items...).

If you have a 'great' warlord I don't think I'd choose monk, since the warlord can't really take advantage of your striker feature (and you're the self-appointed 'frontliner').   Several classes with static (or every turn) bonuses might work better -- hexblade (uurp, no magic implements, n'mind!), slayer, rogue/thief, sorcerer, (hybrid?)warlock, avenger/executioner...

Would you be allowed to take a theme that provides access to a temporary magic item via a power (e.g. unseelie agent..this you COULD combine with hexblade) or a permanent magic item via a theme feature (harper agent, noble, wizard's apprentice)?

I assume wizards get their spellbooks (improved ToR wizards with Illusory Wall could come in handy).  A 'wall of fur' build could be effective too.

I have a character sketch/concept that might be quite effective under these constraints (involves barbarian ironically enough).  Human barbarian|sorcerer Adroit Explorer (with Flame Spiral x3) could make an amazing frontliner, too (but my hybrid barbarian uses a different "schtick").
No magic items, hmmm.  Can you access rituals via the ritual caster feat? (Not necessarily to create magic items, either.)

I am assuming your DM will use inherent bonuses too to help fix the game math.  (Definitely should; if not I would choose the Unseelie Agent theme for its Creature Shadow-Wrought Weapon power, no questions asked!)

What about alternative rewards?  (Often provided in magic-lite campaigns 'in lieu of' magic items...).

If you have a 'great' warlord I don't think I'd choose monk, since the warlord can't really take advantage of your striker feature (and you're the self-appointed 'frontliner').   Several classes with static (or every turn) bonuses might work better -- hexblade (uurp, no magic implements, n'mind!), slayer, rogue/thief, sorcerer, (hybrid?)warlock, avenger/executioner...

Would you be allowed to take a theme that provides access to a temporary magic item via a power (e.g. unseelie agent..this you COULD combine with hexblade) or a permanent magic item via a theme feature (harper agent, noble, wizard's apprentice)?

I assume wizards get their spellbooks (improved ToR wizards with Illusory Wall could come in handy).  A 'wall of fur' build could be effective too.

I have a character sketch/concept that might be quite effective under these constraints (involves barbarian ironically enough).  Human barbarian|sorcerer Adroit Explorer (with Flame Spiral x3) could make an amazing frontliner, too (but my hybrid barbarian uses a different "schtick").

No magic items, period.

Also no inherent values either!

Though he re-works most encounters so he actually reduces their hitting/damage modifieirs so maybe it's reverse inherent values? 

I'd love to check that Barbarian/Sorcerer build, I'll check the Rogue and see what I can cook up. 
I need my Lu Bu.

I really like this theme (despite the fact that Cao Cao needing Lu Bu does not compute at all).

My advice is to play a threatening reach build - its frontline control, its extra attacks, and it stops an army dead in its tracks. Either a Fighter|Ranger/Polearm Master (MC Spiked Chain + Chain Ward) for threatening reach 2/day, or a Goliath Barb|Cleric/Stoneblessed (MC Fighter) with a glaive and Heavy Blade Opportunity and Polearm Gamble spamming Icon of Fear on every OA. The latter is a rather appropriate image for Lu Bu, no? The common soldiers will fear to even approach you.
Here's a sketch of my alternate barbarian concept.

I think a runepriest|barbarian could help heal/protect all your allies quite nicely, while being capable of unleashing a devastating nova.

And it doesn't require magic items (unfortunately, you're limited to your base powers and no reaper's axe exploits).

Really like the idea of Polearm Gamble/HBO/Polearm Momentum/push/prone to keep enemies at bay, too.  (Which could be worked in with a hybrid barbarian as RenZhe outlined above).

No magic items, period.

Also no inherent values either!

Though he re-works most encounters so he actually reduces their hitting/damage modifieirs so maybe it's reverse inherent values? 

Make sure of this, and make sure he also reduces their defences and HP appropriately.

Really, it's much more strightforward to use inherent bonuses.  The system is designed around the PCs hitting at a certain level for a certain amount of damage, and screwing with that, particularly for what appears to be no reason whatsoever, is a really bad idea.

And yeah, if it's not seen as too cheesy in light of those limitations, Unseelie Agent will make you very good compared to your fellows.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
When you say "mob of soldiers that aren't actually minions", how many hit points do they actually have? Because if you're dealing with lots of low HP enemies, the Executioner's Death Attack feature becomes very, very good: 

DEATH ATTACK
When you hit an enemy with a melee or a ranged attack that deals damage, you can choose to reduce the enemy to 0 hit points automatically if it has 10 hit points or fewer after the damage is dealt.

(upgrades to 20 and 30 hit points or fewer at levels 13 and 23, respectively) 

Source: Heroes of Shadow. 

No hybriding, but in combination with Attack Finesse (+2d8 damage once/round) you can be a pretty efficient killing machine if the mobs have ~50 hit points or less. Read this for more advice on building a proper Executioner.

I also agree with spaceinvader about Unseelie Agent (Heroes of the Feywild). The free magic weapon will make you really awesome.
When you say "mob of soldiers that aren't actually minions", how many hit points do they actually have? Because if you're dealing with lots of low HP enemies, the Executioner's Death Attack feature becomes very, very good: 

DEATH ATTACK
When you hit an enemy with a melee or a ranged attack that deals damage, you can choose to reduce the enemy to 0 hit points automatically if it has 10 hit points or fewer after the damage is dealt.

No hybriding, but in combination with Attack Finesse (+2d8 damage once/round) you can be a pretty efficient killing machine if the mobs have ~50 hit points or less. Read this for more advice on building a proper Executioner.

I also agree with spaceinvader about Unseelie Agent (Heroes of the Feywild). The free magic weapon will make you really awesome.

Unfortunaly Unseelie Agent got denied by him.

However the ideas on the last page for going Fighter|Ranger and the Executioner is really interessting and helped me devise some builds.

The mobs usually have 30 hit points, hits very softly and are mostly used to guard important figures on the battlefield, those tend to be the real threats, so killing quick and covering ground is needed.
However I was trying to create someone who deals with said mobs, and the advice helped. 

DEATH ATTACK

However the ideas on the last page for going Fighter|Ranger and the Executioner is really interessting and helped me devise some builds.

The mobs usually have 30 hit points, hits very softly and are mostly used to guard important figures on the battlefield, those tend to be the real threats, so killing quick and covering ground is needed.
However I was trying to create someone who deals with said mobs, and the advice helped. 

Way of the ninja executioner becomes really potent, with the 3 target ranged attack Poisonous Shuriken At-WIll.  Death Attack all but ensures you kill every hit (vs. mobs) up to three times on your turn.

Unfortunately I don't have the sorcerer|barbarian fleshed out, but three times per encounter you could probably pop more than a few mobs with smart positioning, while dissuading mobs to attack you in melee.  With smart ally tactics utilizing slide/forced movement powers to move mobs next to/passed you after you cast Flame Spiral, your allies will probably fry plenty of mobs on their turns as well.
I kinda want to see an Executioner MC Ranger powerswap for Hail of Arrows (granted at 27) now.

Greatbow (say of Challenge Seeking) with Far Shot feat.  So how many enemies are in 55 squares?  I shoot them all for 1W + 3d6 + static.  Oh if they are now below 30 HP, they die.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Sign In to post comments