CCC a popularity contest?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So the title pretty much says it all.  There are a lot of streamers etc asking people to vote for them but what have they done for the community?  I set the bar at Hamtastic when thinking of the ideal candidate with people like bubba/joekewell coming close behind.  These people put in countless hours of work to make the community better without asking for anything in return and they do not ask people to vote for them.  If people want to ask others to vote for them I guess that is fine but is WOTC going to take into account what they have done for the community also?  Some streamers do involve the community while others just promote themselves.

No need to call out specific people but just hoping to hear what WOTC has to say about it.  Is the number of votes what they are going off of or is it a mix of the 2? 
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
So the title pretty much says it all.  There are a lot of streamers etc asking people to vote for them but what have they done for the community?  I set the bar at Hamtastic when thinking of the ideal candidate with people like bubba/joekewell coming close behind.  These people put in countless hours of work to make the community better without asking for anything in return and they do not ask people to vote for them.  If people want to ask others to vote for them I guess that is fine but is WOTC going to take into account what they have done for the community also?  Some streamers do involve the community while others just promote themselves.

No need to call out specific people but just hoping to hear what WOTC has to say about it.  Is the number of votes what they are going off of or is it a mix of the 2? 

WotC is only accepting nominations. WotC will determine who is actually worthy. These people are mostly just wasting their time.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
What Bubba said.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
What Bubba said.

I nominate everyone else.  See how altruistic I am?  *nudge, nudge*
What Bubba said.

I find myself saying that alot. Smile

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Awesome!

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

How to apply for beta

I think alot of people seem to be mixing up "MTGO Online Community" (which from what I understand this is about) and the "MTG Online Community" (as in people who write MTG articles etc that are posted online)

It makes no sense to me saying 'MTGO Online', lol, but you have to differentiate.

I'm glad its ultimately down to WOTC to decide, it's been kinda sad watching people spamming twitter asking for people to vote for them, as well as listening to podcasts where someone says 'I don't play MTGO but vote for this person'
I think alot of people seem to be mixing up "MTGO Online Community" (which from what I understand this is about) and the "MTG Online Community" (as in people who write MTG articles etc that are posted online)

It makes no sense to me saying 'MTGO Online', lol, but you have to differentiate.

I'm glad its ultimately down to WOTC to decide, it's been kinda sad watching people spamming twitter asking for people to vote for them, as well as listening to podcasts where someone says 'I don't play MTGO but vote for this person'

Indeed, but thats why Wotc asked for the person's  mtgo screen name you were  voting for.

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

Doh!  And I was about to set up my own website and seek some leftover funding from Americans For A Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow ...

With that having been said, popularity has to count to some degree -- but how can you tell honest popularity from ballot stuffing and campaigning?

I think of the invitees for the Cup are sort of like voting for the Baseball Hall of Fame.  If you have to ask yourself whether or not they belong, they don't belong.

Just my two cents.

Later,

Don! 
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
That people want to go is awesome. It would be terrible if people thought of this as a chore or something they'd do only if they had the spare time and it didn't conflict with their favorite activity (other than mtgo without pants).

Some of the confusion people may have had over whether this is a nomination process or a voting process is we were only allowed to nominate one person this year. I would much rather have submitted my entire list and had that be OK.

The fact is we have a pretty great community and I expect to enjoy whomever is selected, even if my nominee isn't selected this year for an invite.

Winter.Wolf (ugh at this new forum with the ridiculous double login)

I think some of it has to do with the fact that Wizards took away the old Invitational (like the winner got to make a card Invitational), which carried a good deal of interest as it was a personal invite from Wizards, and the not-online group has latched onto the MTGO one ever since Brad Nelson and Evan Erwin got invited - not that they didn't deserve it - but I think that's when the non-MTGO crowd noticed and it started to a little less about community contribution - which is perhaps better, but makes it harder to weed out nominations.

The lines have certainly blurred about who is 'supposed' to go.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Vote "none of the above"!!

[/brewster]
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.

Thank you.
It's pretty much 100% a popularity contest.  Follow-up question, how many nominations does it take to be considered?  Because I mean... if the answer is 1, then consider me, etc..  If I can't nominate myself, then I'm officially trading my nomination of someone else for their nomination of me.  It's a lame system.
What would you propose in the current system's place?

I'm not overwhelmingly happy with the current system, but it seems to work.  No one has gone who has not made an easily seen and signifcant positive contribution to the community?

Thank you, Erik.
its supposed to be a popularity contest the funnest coolest guys go an like hangout with WOTC and report back to the community doesn't matter where they are at
It's pretty much 100% a popularity contest.

If that were true I'd've never been invited.

Find an area of MTG/MTGO where someone needs help, or information, or something, and fill it.
And don't do it expecting something in return. Do it because you want to do it.
That's how you get an invite 

Guess what? Chicken butt.

It's pretty much 100% a popularity contest.

If that were true I'd've never been invited.

Find an area of MTG/MTGO where someone needs help, or information, or something, and fill it.
And don't do it expecting something in return. Do it because you want to do it.
That's how you get an invite 

Wait....
Are you suggesting I'm not super popular?  Like, all the girls want to be with me and all the guys want to be me kind of popular?

No?

What about popular like 'everyone knows my name and says 'Hi' when we pass by in the hall'?

Not that either?

Oh, okay then...

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
obvobvfobv, it's nushae's fau...  oops. wrong thread.

obvobvfobv, MTGKai was invited when he was because he could not go post birth of child.   No, that's not right either.

Because of sleeping in a hammock with a suspicious forum name?  dammit, wrong again

I remember now, it was because MTGKaioshin did vastly more to help new users and users needing technical support at the end of V2.5 and start of V3 by his unstinting voluntary efforts than all of WotC combined.  gg, MTGK.

Now quit stroking your ego and get back to work m'kay? 
Thank you, Erik.
"Now quit stroking your ego and get back to work m'kay? "

Are we talking about nush again?

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

Sign In to post comments