A true solution to the Life Deck

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I truly believe if we all band together we can stop the first turn 6/6 flying card from hitting the battlefield.

I play 2HG almost every day, probably a good 10-15 matches a day (Yes I work full time as well)

My rank is under 100 (95 last I checked) and before anyone checks my signature and says "you aren't even ranked in 2HG" let me say I don't play on my own PSN account, I play at a friend's house, we are really the only two that ever play, and so that rank defines both of us playing 2HG constantly.

Any time we play, the second we see that white mana drop and the 6/6 flyer hit the battlefiend we quit, straight up. I don't care what else happens from that point on, we're done, and those people can have fun playing the computer.

I've had countless matches where we win the match, and then when we go to play them again they switch to the life deck, I've even heard people in the room blatantly say "ok you know what we gotta do now". One time we quit out as soon as that card hit the battlefield and we heard one of the people say "awwwww" and clearly sounded upset.

Why do we play 2HG? So we can play against actual people, not the computer. I know personally if I wanted to play the computer I'd play campaign mode, but since it's 2012 and we can play actual people, that's typically what the purpose is.

So if we all collectively decide to quit out on anyone playing life, thus forcing them to play the computer for the rest of the match, eventually people are gonna realize that their decision to play what most consider and what can be (because of that card) the cheapest deck in the game might not be the best idea.

I know there are ways around that card, goblin has an easy out, obviously both blue decks have detractors (provided you play mana first, you can keep returning it, then counterspell, or throw out an 0/2 wall that doesn't take or give damage) but the fact is that card and that deck are cheap and people have made it clear they use that deck for easy wins.

So I say everyone just quit out instantly when people play that deck, and soon enough you'll stop seeing half of the 2HG room playing that deck.

Thoughts?
Wasn't it allready anounced that they were changing that card to "your original life total +10" instead of 30 life?  That should slow it down a little.

Edit: here it is --

Third piece of news: I have an update on the planned change to Serra Ascendant. That change, which will balance the card in two-headed giant, is still coming and has been confirmed for the game update that will come with expansion later this summer. The card’s text will be changed from requiring 30 life to the following:

Lifelink
As long as you have at least 10 life more than your starting life total, Serra Ascendant gets +5/+5 and has flying. 
yeah the fix was already anounced to come out with the expansion so it won't be an issue anymore.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
This is the "Can't we all just get along?" of Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Classic Material.
I know that card sucks but is it really worth of complaining I don't play celestial lightI because I just don't like the deck but I wouldn't say I'm gona quit when that card touches the board I've won plenty of times when that card has touched the field before me or my partner has a chance to deal with it early not like it has hex proof or indestructible when the expansion comes out next month I'm sure there will be even more cards to deal with that card sorry if I don't agree with your quitting ways over one card that really isn't all that powerful in my opinion

Greetings from the future. Here's a post I wanted to share with everyone:

"Any time we play, the second we see that Invisible Stalker hit the battlefiend we quit, straight up. I don't care what else happens from that point on, we're done, and those people can have fun playing the computer."

Stay tuned!
Lifedeck is the easiest one to beat now in 2HG.

Stop whining about it.

"Any time we play, the second we see that Invisible Stalker hit the battlefiend we quit, straight up. I don't care what else happens from that point on, we're done, and those people can have fun playing the computer."

Stay tuned!

Yep, i can see many a thread about how OP one card in one deck is. Although adding unblockable to a hexproof creature in an aura deck does lead to some interesting times.

Stay tuned!

Yep, i can see many a thread about how OP one card in one deck is. Although adding unblockable to a hexproof creature in an aura deck does lead to some interesting times.

Lol reminds me of DotP '12 with Auramancer.  Everyone was always looking for the hexproof XD
2012 auramancer was a poor, poor deck. It's one trick was to get one guy out and buff him 100%. If you killed/blocked/bounced that one guy, auramancer ending up sitting there like "what do i do now?"

OP : Solution to lifegain deck = Get good  
2012 auramancer was a poor, poor deck. It's one trick was to get one guy out and buff him 100%. If you killed/blocked/bounced that one guy, auramancer ending up sitting there like "what do i do now?"

Get good is the worst advice ever. 

I only quit against serra ascendant if by turn three neither my partner nor I have drawn a way to deal with it. At that point we're typically down to 18 life with them at 42, almost too far of a hole to dig out of. At that point I can point to luck of the draw and move on to the next match. 

The iPhone is perfect for people who want an easy to use, multifunction device. Android is a little more user intensive, but can do anything that iOS can do. DoTP developers, give us Duels 2014 on Android! My nexus 7/Galaxy Note 2 is easily capable of handling it if my 4 year old gateway laptop can.

Get good is the worst advice ever. 

I only quit against serra ascendant if by turn three neither my partner nor I have drawn a way to deal with it. At that point we're typically down to 18 life with them at 42, almost too far of a hole to dig out of. At that point I can point to luck of the draw and move on to the next match. 

Get good is great advice to anyone complaining about the tremendously underpowered life gain deck in 2HG.
Killabkilledb, it's gotten to the point where every post of yours sounds like the teacher on Charlie Brown.

Get over it.
Killabkilledb, it's gotten to the point where every post of yours sounds like the teacher on Charlie Brown.

Get over it.

I just had a 15 game win streak with Jace/Liliana busted by a second Serra Ascendant on turn 2.

1st turn Serra and Burn deck is pretty tough. A second makes the win all but impossible.

But I beat the life deck 5 times today. 5/6 losses isnt OP.
Yes, yes, you're the greatest mofo that ever lived.  Can you stop posting about lifegain now?
Yes, yes, you're the greatest mofo that ever lived.  Can you stop posting about lifegain now?

No, I still make trivial mistakes. Not the best but I know the LD is not OP. Two early ascendants is OP for sure.

Talk about your toddler "Im taking my toys and going home" logic...
I don't think he's going home, I think he's staying right here.

I do, however, have the single best solution for dealing with Ajani's deck.

Show
Don't play like a tuna and you won't get canned.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Wasn't it allready anounced that they were changing that card to "your original life total +10" instead of 30 life?  That should slow it down a little.

Edit: here it is --

Third piece of news: I have an update on the planned change to Serra Ascendant. That change, which will balance the card in two-headed giant, is still coming and has been confirmed for the game update that will come with expansion later this summer. The card’s text will be changed from requiring 30 life to the following:

Lifelink
As long as you have at least 10 life more than your starting life total, Serra Ascendant gets +5/+5 and has flying. 

They are fixing it, so people calm down!

Yak Cast - MMO Podcast: http://yak.mmoSmackTalk.com Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk Follow me on Facebook: http://facebook.com/YakCast
I just beat on the iife deck three straight games against a party of two with mics and they called out a first turn Serra each game. A very slightly modified Stevo 2HG build is what you guys should be crying about if you like that mode. Absolutely unstoppable. So many way to win. I was on the ropes until I used my Chancellor to replicate itself ad infinitum ad nauseum. It was 57-6.....Previous game I kept murdering and stealing their creatures. Had 3 baneslayer angels and mind controlled a primordial hydra. First game I won with underworld dreams. Ended up getting two out.

Innocent blood, or unsummon/into the royal until I can get off a vampire/murder on the serra etc...

I like to dig them out of their graveyard when I have 30 life just to screw with them too. Sometimes I call in a premature exsanguinate/body double just to do it...
My god, this is bordering on the pathological.

One sign, for me at least, of your greatness, killabkilledb, is how often you draw the statistically less likely response needed to the Serra.  I only wish I had that skill set.
My god, this is bordering on the pathological.

One sign, for me at least, of your greatness, killabkilledb, is how often you draw the statistically less likely response needed to the Serra.  I only wish I had that skill set.

Build your decks properly. Don't run into a gam with two decks that have no answer for things. Mulligan correctly for early game hands. I get great hands sometimes that I know need four turns or so to get going, but I will mulligan them because I know I can get steamrolled the first three turns if I don't have answers.

Its all about balance. Sure you sometimes get raped by a Serra a few turns but the LD always runs out of gas. Just about every deck has answers to it. And the life deck only has a few good creatures. If I mind control your Baneslayer angel or steal your Avatar you are screwed. You have no answer except a chastize and cat tokens. The Knight with a basilic collar is probably its best creature.

You just go ahead and keep crying on a forum about losing to the life deck and I'll keep playing as a magic noob and winning the majority of the games I play against celestial light.

Oh, it's building the deck properly that solves the problem.  I just need to include answers like Innocent Blood or Unsummon.  What was I thinking?!?  I had excluded those cards because I thought "oh, those won't be useful."  Then I removed all instants and sorceries and added as many six+ CMC creatures as I could find, because, you know, I thought that would work well.  If only I had known about building decks that have "answers for 'things.'"

And then, if I'm following your sage advice further, once I've done my deck building, using the few decks that can reasonably have quick answers to a turn 1 Serra, I'll just mulligan in a game, preemptively, so that I have an answer to that damn Serra in my opening hand.  After that, winning is super easy, and the Serra isn't really overpowered at all.  Got it.

Wait, let's review: to counter 1 card, a 1 CMC 6/6 Flier with Lifelink, one must:

1. use one of a few select decks that contain quick answer to that one card, which are then

2. optimized to fight that one card, and then choose to

3. preemptively mulligan until the statistically less likely counters are drawn;

4. (and of course, rely on the fact that the lifegain deck always seems to have a terrible or non-functioning partner, who just sits back and looks sad, as he's unable to do anything all game and the lifegain deck just runs out of steam).

But nope, that's just a normal part of Magic.  That 1 card didn't dictate the entire play regime due to its power level, nope, not at all. 

Now, that being said, I think you have me confused with some strawperson.  My complaint isn't that I lose to the lifegain deck.  It's that it's not fun to have the entire 2HG meta defined by 1 card.  My suggestion was that they take the Serra and cut it down to 2 copies, if only to prevent the mulligan for Serra strategy from being as effective as it is/was, not that they remove it, not that they errata the card language.  That's as close to "crying on a forum" as your "I pwn Serra 5/6 times a day" is to the truth.

Although who knows, maybe you're playing against the computer, and not people.  Given the way you write about using Jace/Lilliana, it seems as if you're controlling both decks, so maybe your stunning victories are against the genius Duels AI.  Maybe you're playing against complete idiots, over and over again, who somehow build thier lifegain deck such that it has no answer to anything after the turn 1 Serra is destroyed.  Maybe you're playing people whose partners are sleeping, or dead, and who thus somehow never factor into your stunning victories over lifegain.  Hell, maybe you're not actually playing against lifegain at all.  Maybe you're playing lifegain, over and over and over, and you just feel let down that your one skill equalizer is getting nuked come the title update, and thus you spin these convoluted, improbable stories of perfect draws time and again, stories that evade the normal rules of probability and mathematics, stories that are so remote from the norm that few if any other individuals on this forum can share similar missives, stories in which you seem to control two mighty decks against one pathetically built lifegain deck, stories in which you are the rebel and the hero and the victim all at once. 

Whatever.  I don't really care if you're winning, losing, or fabricating brave new worlds from the flimsy tissue that comprises your amygdala.  I just want you to stop talking about the lifegain deck, with the same bloody sentiment every bloody time.  It's over - the patch is en route, if not live on your system already.  Let it go.

I keep losing to a turn 1 Raging Goblin. Can anyone help me out?
Yes, you need to build your decks so that they have answers to things.  Maybe try Mind Control?  That should work.
Oh, it's building the deck properly that solves the problem.  I just need to include answers like Innocent Blood or Unsummon.  What was I thinking?!?  I had excluded those cards because I thought "oh, those won't be useful."  Then I removed all instants and sorceries and added as many six+ CMC creatures as I could find, because, you know, I thought that would work well.  If only I had known about building decks that have "answers for 'things.'"

And then, if I'm following your sage advice further, once I've done my deck building, using the few decks that can reasonably have quick answers to a turn 1 Serra, I'll just mulligan in a game, preemptively, so that I have an answer to that damn Serra in my opening hand.  After that, winning is super easy, and the Serra isn't really overpowered at all.  Got it.

Wait, let's review: to counter 1 card, a 1 CMC 6/6 Flier with Lifelink, one must:

1. use one of a few select decks that contain quick answer to that one card, which are then

2. optimized to fight that one card, and then choose to

3. preemptively mulligan until the statistically less likely counters are drawn;

4. (and of course, rely on the fact that the lifegain deck always seems to have a terrible or non-functioning partner, who just sits back and looks sad, as he's unable to do anything all game and the lifegain deck just runs out of steam).

But nope, that's just a normal part of Magic.  That 1 card didn't dictate the entire play regime due to its power level, nope, not at all. 

Now, that being said, I think you have me confused with some strawperson.  My complaint isn't that I lose to the lifegain deck.  It's that it's not fun to have the entire 2HG meta defined by 1 card.  My suggestion was that they take the Serra and cut it down to 2 copies, if only to prevent the mulligan for Serra strategy from being as effective as it is/was, not that they remove it, not that they errata the card language.  That's as close to "crying on a forum" as your "I pwn Serra 5/6 times a day" is to the truth.

Although who knows, maybe you're playing against the computer, and not people.  Given the way you write about using Jace/Lilliana, it seems as if you're controlling both decks, so maybe your stunning victories are against the genius Duels AI.  Maybe you're playing against complete idiots, over and over again, who somehow build thier lifegain deck such that it has no answer to anything after the turn 1 Serra is destroyed.  Maybe you're playing people whose partners are sleeping, or dead, and who thus somehow never factor into your stunning victories over lifegain.  Hell, maybe you're not actually playing against lifegain at all.  Maybe you're playing lifegain, over and over and over, and you just feel let down that your one skill equalizer is getting nuked come the title update, and thus you spin these convoluted, improbable stories of perfect draws time and again, stories that evade the normal rules of probability and mathematics, stories that are so remote from the norm that few if any other individuals on this forum can share similar missives, stories in which you seem to control two mighty decks against one pathetically built lifegain deck, stories in which you are the rebel and the hero and the victim all at once. 

Whatever.  I don't really care if you're winning, losing, or fabricating brave new worlds from the flimsy tissue that comprises your amygdala.  I just want you to stop talking about the lifegain deck, with the same bloody sentiment every bloody time.  It's over - the patch is en route, if not live on your system already.  Let it go.

All that blah by you sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. Let me translate it for you:

I WANT TO BUILD MY HAND AND PLAY A CERTAIN WAY BUT MY OPPONENTS FOIL MY PLANS SO I HAVE TO ADAPT.

Well, boohoo.

Some decks just matchup poorly. I just played Talrand and Yeva and didn't get to take my fifth turn against double red decks. It was brutal. I switched the second game to black and blue and absolutely smashed them.

Did you beat them black and blue?

Jolly good times had by all.  
Gotta love seeing a guy who has been playing Magic for a few weeks trying to lecture a guy who is a minimum three year veteran. Oh god this is priceless. The only thing that makes it better is remembering killa say Tarmogoyf isn't good.

I love this place.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Ha.  My bank account wishes I'd only been Magicking for three years.