trumpet blast before combat

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
it turns out that the judge at the most recent FNM got this question wrong. i wanted to play my trumpet blast before combat to see if it would get countered or not, before choosing who to attack with, and the level 1 judge said that this would work out how i would want it to. turns out that there's a ruling on the gatherer page: "Only affects creatures which are attacking at the time it resolves.".

i know that i've seen cards that only give a bonus to creatures on the battlefield at the time it resolves, and i've also seen cards that affect creatures that enter the battlefield on the same turn but after the spell resolves.

so my questions:
1) can someone tell me why trumpet blast works the way it actually does?
2) can someone tell me how do i know when a spell works like trumpet blast, and when a spell works the other way? (and maybe give examples if you can think of any)?

thanks! 
it simply does what it does
it boosts all attacking creatures at the time it resolves, not those that become attacking creatures later
just like Day of Judgment doesn't destroy creatures that enter the battlefield after it resolved

as another example take Instigator Gang
that works no matter when the creatures became attacking creatures, because it is a continuous effect, and not a one-shot effect like Trumpet Blast
proud member of the 2011 community team
Trumpet blast works the way it does because it affects the characteristics of creatures, rather than changing the rules of the game. Any spell ability, triggered or activated ability that adds or reduces power or toughness, or grants abilities works on specific creatures on the battlefield. Either a specific one or more, a larger set, or all of them.

However, if those effects change the game rules, like making a creature unblockable or indestructible, it doesn't lock in what creatures it applies to.

Note that Break of Day is an exception to this for indestructibility. It specifically only works on the creatures that it gave the +1/+1 bonus to.
All Generalizations are Bad
There are cases where the same wording has a different effect depending whether it's on a resolving spell or ability on the one hand, or a static ability of a permanent on the other. In either case, it is doing exactly what it says it's doing, but the context in which it says it matters.

Trumpet Blast looks for attacking creatures to give +2/+0 to when it resolves. If there are no attacking creatures at that time, there's nothing for it to affect. It does not change the rules of the game or anything like that, creatures that attack later in the turn won't get the bonus because they weren't there when it was "handed out" as it were.

A static ability of an enchantment that was worded exactly like Trumpet Blast (minus the "until end of turn" bit) would create a continuous effect that constantly applied to all creatures attacking at any given time. As long as the enchantment is there, the bonus will apply to anything that's attacking. Remove the enchantment, and the bonus goes away (whereas there is no analagous way to end Trumpet Blast's effect prematurely).
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
1) can someone tell me why trumpet blast works the way it actually does?
2) can someone tell me how do i know when a spell works like trumpet blast, and when a spell works the other way? (and maybe give examples if you can think of any)?

Oh, there's a rule for that!
Rules, actually.

611.2c If a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability modifies the characteristics or changes the controller of any objects, the set of objects it affects is determined when that continuous effect begins. After that point, the set won’t change.
A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability that doesn’t modify the characteristics or change the controller of any objects modifies the rules of the game, so it can affect objects that weren’t affected when that continuous effect began.

Example: An effect that reads “All white creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn” gives the bonus to all permanents that are white creatures when the spell or ability resolves—even if they change color later—and doesn’t affect those that enter the battlefield or turn white afterward.
Example: An effect that reads “Prevent all damage creatures would deal this turn” doesn’t modify any object’s characteristics, so it’s modifying the rules of the game. That means the effect will apply even to damage from creatures that weren’t on the battlefield when the continuous effect began. It also affects damage from permanents that become creatures later in the turn.

611.3. A continuous effect may be generated by the static ability of an object.
611.3a A continuous effect generated by a static ability isn’t “locked in”; it applies at any given moment to whatever its text indicates.
611.3b The effect applies at all times that the permanent generating it is on the battlefield or the object generating it is in the appropriate zone.
Example: A permanent with the static ability “All white creatures get +1/+1” generates an effect that continuously gives +1/+1 to each white creature on the battlefield. If a creature becomes white, it gets this bonus; a creature that stops being white loses it.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

rootbreaker and jeff, you gave me a good starting point for understanding.

but chaikov, those rules were exactly what i was needing. thanks! i'll study those and if i still have questions, i'll post again on this thread.

but just to make sure i understand:

an instant that said "Green creatures you control are indestructable until end of turn" would apply to creatures i cast /after/ i cast the instant (on the same turn),

but an instant that said "Green creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn" would ONLY apply to the green creatures i control when that instant resolves? 
but just to make sure i understand:

an instant that said "Green creatures you control are indestructable until end of turn" would apply to creatures i cast /after/ i cast the instant (on the same turn),

but an instant that said "Green creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn" would ONLY apply to the green creatures i control when that instant resolves? 

yes
proud member of the 2011 community team
as another example take Instigator Gang
that works no matter when the creatures became attacking creatures, because it is a continuous effect, and not a one-shot effect like Trumpet Blast

Just to be clear, both of those are continuous effects. The difference is between a continuous effects from a static ability and one from a resolving spell or ability.