Two quick questions

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Good day everyone

I have two questions, the first is about Spellskite and Downpour

Can a player activate the ability of  Spellskite multiples times to adquire all the 3 targets of Downpour?

And the second one: in a tournament a player can have his girlfriend to shuffle his deck for him to give him "Good luck" if not, what's the penalty  for doing so?

Thanks in advance 
No, downpour targets 3 different creatures. It can only target spellskite once.

Another person can certainly shuffle a deck before a match - once a match is started they shouldn't really be interfering but I'm not sure if they're committing a specific infraction or not.
All Generalizations are Bad
Good day everyone

I have two questions, the first is about Spellskite and Downpour

Can a player activate the ability of  Spellskite multiples times to adquire all the 3 targets of Downpour?

Yes and no.

The ability of Spellskite reqires a target, which must be a spell or ability. That spell or ability need not be able to target Spellskite, or even target anything at all - it is quite legal to target (say) Wrath of God. If the spell or ability Spellskite targets has no target, or Spellskite would be an illegal target for any reason, nothing happens on resolution.

A specific game object can only be the target of a spell or ability once per occurrence of the word "target" in that spell or ability. Since Downpour has only one instance of the word "target", Spellskite can only be a target of Downpour once, and if you try to make it a target a second time, nothing happens.

I'm not sure about the second, so I'll let people with time to read the tournament rues look it up.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
And the second one: in a tournament a player can have his girlfriend to shuffle his deck for him to give him "Good luck" if not, what's the penalty  for doing so?

Sorry to tear down your prehistoric superstitions but,
your luck WILL NOT be significantly improved by the fact that your girlfriend shuffles your deck,
unless she is a professional card dealer and is stacking your cards. 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.                        -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep expecting different results from those elections?

How long have you tried this, over and over?

Ain't it time you reached a different conclusion about this whole mascarade?

Sorry to tear down your prehistoric superstitions but,
your luck WILL NOT be significantly improved by the fact that your girlfriend shuffles your deck,
unless she is a professional card dealer and is stacking your cards. 

If by that logic how can something be improved if it doesn't exist? Laughing

But the question is more toward to know if is possible for an spectator come at the begining of the duel and shuffle the deck instead of the player and the penalty for allow it if is illegal

Thanks for the downpour answers so far... 
at the beginning, yes
the opponent still has to option to shuffle afterwards, however (at higher REL he is required)

in the middle of the game, no
proud member of the 2011 community team
at the beginning, yes
the opponent still has to option to shuffle afterwards, however (at higher REL he is required)

in the middle of the game, no

Thanks a lot, and do you know the penalty at higer RELs?
It's probably unsporting conduct minor, (which results in a warning) if anything. It's not really outside assistance since they're not really helping you.

Really though, you should just ask your local judge if they're ok with it or not. If they are, there won't be any penalty. If they aren't, and you do it anyway you can get a game loss for Unsporting Conduct Major for failing to follow a direct instruction from a tournament official. 
All Generalizations are Bad

I stand corrected! Allow me to rephrase...

Unless she is cheating, having your GF shuffle your deck will not improve your odds at winning this Magic tournament

but

making her feel important and allowing her to believe she is somewhat magical
WILL MOST DEFINITELY IMPROVE YOUR LUCK arrived bedtime!   

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.                        -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep expecting different results from those elections?

How long have you tried this, over and over?

Ain't it time you reached a different conclusion about this whole mascarade?

I stand corrected! Allow me to rephrase...

Unless she is cheating, having your GF shuffle your deck will not improve your odds at winning this Magic tournament

but

making her feel important and allowing her to believe she is somewhat magical
WILL MOST DEFINITELY IMPROVE YOUR LUCK arrived bedtime!   

Exactly!  Cool 
Sign In to post comments