Should 'Fey Sinkhole Attack' be daily use?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have a query about fey sinkhole.

So I understand the power. You create a zone and then when an enemy starts within the zone, you make the 'Fey Sinkhole Attack' against it and if you hit, you daze the target and if it leaves the zone, it is teleported back in.

My question is this - Fey Sinkhole Attack is a daily use power. Even if it is an opportunity action, this still means you can only use it once. That means that you create a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter with the main power, but you can then only use the power on a single enemy once. It seems like 'Fey Sinkhole Attack' is intended to be an 'At-Will' meaning you can keep dazing and dragging multiple enemies into the sinkhole until you miss them. Powerful? yes, but it does little damage and it is level 15.

So yeh, that is my question, should Fey Sinkhole Attack be 'at-will' instead and is this an error in the power description? or do you think it is intended to just be used on a single enemy?
If you've looked this up in Compendium, you should know that it is notoriously bad at correctly stating the usage type of secondary powers.  It's extremely likely that the OA part of this power is at-will.  Check the primary source.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Sadly I do not have the primary source (PHB3). If anyone could shed some light on if this is an error in the Compendium, I would be very grateful :-)
You can keep making the attack so long as the zone exists.
Hi Alcestis

Did you confirm this from PHB3 listing the attack as an At-Will not a daily?

Thanks
Its an error of formatting in the DDi Compendium.

The original source in the Player's Handbook 3 has no Daily  usage limitation, so you can use it at-will, once per turn being an Opportunity Action, this whenever a creature will starts its turn within the zone.

Fey Sinkhole                                            Seeker Attack 15
You open a temporary rift to the Feywild. A vortex of beguiling
magic lashes around the opening, dragging creatures toward it.
Daily - Primal, Psychic, Teleportation, Weapon, Zone
Standard Action      Area burst 1 within weapon range
Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of
the encounter or until you dismiss it as a minor action.
Until the zone ends, you can you can make the following attack 
using a square within the zone as the origin square.
  Opportunity Action                             Close burst 1
  Trigger: A creature starts its turn within the zone
  Target: The triggering creature in the burst
  Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
  Hit: 5 psychic damage, and the target is dazed until the
  start of its next turn. If the target leaves the zone before
  the end of its turn, you can use a free action to teleport 
  the target to a square within the zone.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Ahh yes, I see. That formatting makes more sense.

Cool, thanks very much :-)

The Compendium routinely lists any "sub-powers" contained within a power as being of the same type as the overarching power regardless of it's actual frequency of use...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Yep, so i've now noticed. It gets some right though which is why I queried it :-) But it is to do with the formatting of the power. The ones where they separate out the two powers in the book seem to be correct in compendium. Those where the second power is an indent of the first, tend to be incorrect in compendium.

The Compendium routinely lists any "sub-powers" contained within a power as being of the same type as the overarching power regardless of it's actual frequency of use...

Yup and Sometimes they add even more, like keywords, out of thin air.

Duelist's Prowess                    Rogue Attack 1
The way you stand appears to allow a foe an opening, but in truth your skill
is such that you use your foe’s attack to draw it in for your own quick strike.

Daily - Martial, Stance
Minor Action      Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, each time an enemy hits or misses you, you
can use the Duelist's Prowess Attack power against it.

Duelist's Prowess Attack
Daily - Martial, Weapon
Immediate Interrupt      Melee weapon
Requirement: The power Duelist's Prowess must be active in order to use
this power.
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Trigger: An enemy adjacent to you attacks you
Target: The triggering enemy
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Well, that keyword should be there.  The stance even says it's a separate power.  If the book doesn't have the keyword, then it's an error and should be fixed.
The stance even says it's a separate power.

No it doesn't. If you look up Duelist's Prowess in Dragon 381 you'll see that its another error from the DDi Compendium.

I agree the Keyword should be there, even if simply for the fact that it deals [W] damage. But until a Rule Update make it so, it doesn't have the Weapon keyword RAW, nor is the Fey Sinkhole follow-up attack truly having the Daily Keyword.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Wait, this text:

"you can use the Duelist's Prowess Attack power against it."

isn't in the article?

Also, if we go by the "it doesn't have the weapon keyword" thing, then the power doesn't work at all.  Which is a stupid result, since we all know it must have the weapon keyword.
No it isn't in the article. And the power was still working, it just that it deals much less damage and has a wonky requirement. Wink

After being reported WoTC stealthily added the Weapon Keyword in the CB and Compendium, 2 tools that are, as it is regularly denounced here, not official rule sorces.

Officially, Duelist's Prowess never got updated to receive the Weapon Keyword. In our game we allowed the Rogue to retain it because the Power should have it though.

[sblock]

Duelist’s Prowess                                     Rogue Attack 1
The way you stand appears to allow a foe an opening, but in
truth your skill is such that you use your foe’s attack to draw it
in for your own quick strike.
Daily ✦ Martial, Stance
Minor Action       Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, each time an enemy hits or
misses you, you can make the following attack against it.
Immediate Interrupt                Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a light blade.
Trigger: An enemy adjacent to you attacks you
Target: The triggering enemy
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Attack powers that don't have the Weapon keyword yet have a range of Melee Weapon do not function.

Even if you're saying that it uses improvised melee, then that's still a weapon.
Yeah i guess it doesn't even work RAW, since the Weapon Keyword identifies a power that is used with a weapon, including Improvised Weapon such as unarmed strike (RC 113).

So technically Duelist's Prowess cannot be used with a weapon or even unarmed you're right.  Wink    

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I mean, this is the sort of situation where the printed powers can be wrong.  We do get the right to say that elements in the system are wrong.

A power that deals Lightning damage yet doesn't have the Lightning keyword is simply an error - this is much the same.  Though in that case there could be some ambiguity in whether the keyword list or the damage type is wrong, but that's not the case in terms of Duelist's Prowess because one situation the power does nothing, and in the other the power works.  So we know which one to choose.