remembering old ravnica website

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

way back when ravnica came out there was a website devoted to ravnica, much like the one that was for scars of mirridon block. i was remembering a short story i read on the site i can't remember who wrote it, but it was about a rakdos bar and some selesnyans had wandered in. terrible things happened to those poor individuals, and it was all being told by an ogre talking to a wojek from boros guild looking for a rakdos cultist. in the end the ogre tells the wojek that the cultist always liked to end things with a bang. the poor wojek realizes what's going on and is unable to escape his fate as the ogre explodes. that story left an impression on me, and back then i started reading the ravnica novels and never stopped reading the mtg novels that came out since.  

I'm currently reading and collecting the comics right now. but, I'm saddened to hear that WotC has stopped production of its novels. when i read that they had quit and the only stories that we would receive is through the comics and online articles. this upsets me. this also caused me to remember this little short story. there were others too. i also remember a few from coldsnap. so i thought i would go looking for this story. its gone nowhere i can't find it! i hate this!  

this is just like Mirage. when mirage came out there were a few "articles" but now you can't find any of it except maybe a few things on mtg salvation, and one article on the sets page, but it doesn't tell you how mirage block ended it just leaves it unfinished WHAT HAPPENED?! for me as a lover of the whole Mtg Multi verse and its whole history, i love debating, i love telling the stories to new players. but, mirage is a black hole in my story knowledge so when some one asks me about it i say, "happened on Jamuraa Continent and some wizards fought." that's all i can say. i don't know what happened there was never a novel or comic to clarify what happened. right now i feel innistrad is exactly like this. what's happening or what happened in innastrad, five years from now if the information doesn't stay online or gets shelved we as players and story tellers are gonna look back and say " on a plane based off of gothic horror, there were some weird creatures and they fought." i don't want to do that!!! we need something that is the definitive story. something that says starts at point a then b then c and ends with d. not a whole bunch of cards that you have to play jigsaw puzzle lets put the story together! or a comic that just visits the place and then leaves while the reader is going "huh wonder what that was all about."  

now, i remembered this short story from long ago and I'm sad to possibly find out that it is gone, and may never be found. i don't think this is a good plan for the direction of magic. at this point all i can tell new players is the story starts with urza and ends with the death of venser. god i hope things change. i was hoping the WotC was collecting all the short stories they were posting and maybe one day find them in an anthology. now, i don't think that's gonna happen any more and i weep. i have been here since i bought my first pack of 4th ed. cards and picked up Arena by William R. Forstchen, at the time it was rare to find any of the mtg books. i could never find whispering woods. now that wizards has stopped printing i can go onto ebay and read the books i was never able to find. i did however read The Brothers War and didn't stop until Apocalypse. it was Ravnica that rejuvenated my love for magic. i only hope you guys can get back on the right track with your story telling department. i don't want to read things on a white screen where the light is nearly blinding, i want to have my book back where i can read it at my own time without worrying about the battery dying or that the next day i come back to relive something or to show some else something new that its just gone to the internet junk folder. ;_;

In terms of printed media I'm afraid you're out of luck for new material. There were several problems with them (the most important, in my opinion, is that the quality of a work didn't correlate with the sales figures).

As for the Mirage War, our resident internet archaeologist has compiled all known information in one document. 

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

so we live in the moment...if the sites get neglected or stories and things get lost in the archive section, tough, deal with it...i guess story just doesn't matter any more. fine i've said my piece i guess you guys don't want someone like me buying your products anymore. thats okay, my card store closed 2 years ago and the only stores that offer tournaments are out of my area anyway. without the rich story mtg just feels hollow. enjoy your product, i hope it lasts...at least until it becomes interesting again...
Hiya. I'm the guy who put the Mirage document together.

And your lack of faith disturbs me.

Is this the Ravnica site that you were sure was gone forever? ;)

If you actually are interested in this stuff, please, please feel free to help me gather as much as I can. There's a lot that can still be recovered if we have the guts to plunge into the bowels of the 'net to retrieve it.

Really, if you think THIS is bad, you should get into the field of Hypercomics. Some of the foundational works of that medium ARE gone forever, no way of getting them back, no archive, no backup, no nothing. This isn't some story somewhere, these are experiments with a completely new medium that are unlike anything else, and we've lost them. Sorry to be a bit grounchy, but you just have no idea how bad the loss of information can really get.

And if you really can't stand to be positive about what Wizards is putting together, make something better yourself. Join the Expanded Multiverse. Prove you can do what Wizards apparently can't.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
@phy - i can''t be happy with just the art and the cards. i'm getting older. i've stuck with magic all the way through since i was in highschool back in '97-'00. now that time has passed, my friends are gone. i've got no one left to play with. the story was what i was holding on to. if that doesn't matter...then all i'm staying for is mtgo which too much money and duels of the planeswalkers...

@keeper - i'm sorry my lack of faith disturbs you. if you want to gather all the things that magic has lost i can say great job man, congrats. that website wasn't the same one. the one i remember had short stories for each guild. and although i am interested in this stuff, i don't have the drive like i used to. also i don't have the time nor the commitment for such an undertaking. and in the "make something better yourself" i will and i am in the process of getting a gaming company off the ground with a friend of mine. i have been reading magic for nearly my whole young adult life and i intend to use it.
Your friends are gone? Your gaming company friend doesn't play? Find some new ones, man!

I must say I understand his point on this. I mostly enjoy casual play with people I know. I do enjoy the occasional draft or prerelease, but I only go when my friends go. Now that my playing partner stopped playing, I most stopped as well. But I've decided I'd make a new Standard deck after the next rotation.

Anyway, @jaco0draconus: The story is still there, you just need to be more active to follow it. How it is now, there's actually an incentive to buy the cards in order to follow the story. And we've recently gotten a story-column, which seems to allow for a lot of freedom in terms of storytelling.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Well, I do, now that you give more clarification, know what site you mean, but honestly, man, I gotta say, you're not giving me a whole lot of reason to dig it up. I mean, if you're already so dead set on giving up on the storyline, what's the use?

There's a lot out there, but you've got to be the one to convince yourself of that, and if you can't, well, why mope around here? Really, there's no sense in making yourself more miserable. It sounds like you've got good stuff going on, no need to dwell on the past unless you actually find it energizing the way I do.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
for all of you i really was just hoping to clarify my dissatisfaction to WotC. where else to do that than on their own forum. creative teams come and go. being a long time fan of magic the gathering, i wanted to vent my opinion, hoping someone at wizards was listening. the visual art of the cards has always been astounding, but the story, the creative writing is what has kept me glued all these years. with out a definitive medium for the story too many people get confused or just don't care. i know the cards have always been a form to tell the story, but like i said before its a jigsaw puzzle, i don't like that, hear that wizards i don't like it. i may just have to quit until the creative team changes their direction. which it sounds like that will happen when printed media is going to be profitable again. even in this new digital age e-books are still around and growing, so i would also be happy with that.
@keeper - sorry i'm not being clear enough. the short story dealt with rakdos guild. so, i think it was on the Dissension website. i'm not really sure. it was so long ago.
I know the cards have always been a form to tell the story, but like I said before its a jigsaw puzzle, I don't like that, hear that Wizards: I don't like it. I may just have to quit until the creative team changes their direction. Which it sounds like that will happen when printed media is going to be profitable again. Even in this new digital age e-books are still around and growing, so I would also be happy with that.

You dislike the fact that a medium that deals pretty much exclusively with cards, decided to tell its story through the cards? And they have become increasingly good at telling the stories through the cards. 

Also, do you really think the Creative team wanted to ax the books? Of course they didn't. If they enjoy their job (and I'm assuming they do) they want every opportunity to tell stories and show us their work. But the fact is that storyline fans are a minority and the books weren't selling enough to keep them afloat. 

Man, I just don't get what point there is to complaining the way you are here. I mean, we've offered a whole range of options and solutions to the stuff you're bothered about, and you're just not accepting anything. In fact, you're basically just picking and choosing things to respond to based on whether or not they allow you to continue to feel sad.

Why invent reasons to make yourself miserable?
Why invent reasons to make yourself miserable?

And no offense towards yourself, but why foist it on us?