5e FRCS what would you like to see in the book?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
In a galaxy far far away...ahem scratch that.

In the near future you buy your new FRCS 5e book. What would you like to see in it?

How much detail you want? What timeline you'd prefer? Would you like to see npc stats? How much lore is enough? What front cover illustration would you suggest for it?

Next is talking about unifying editions and rules. What are your suggestions? How could fr make a glorious comeback?

Personally Im a great fan of 2e ADnD fr campaign setting. So we have a great atlas book for a general overview of faerun. (I wouldnt mind at all if we didnt have returned abeir in here). Maps, tidbits of lore and history, current state of things etc. Then a more detailed account of a specific region (cormyr, dales, silver marches or anything else for that matter). Lastly a focus on a single town/village/small area with a flavorful adventure included. Shadowdale and beneath the twisted tower in the aforementioned box were great for an easy and quick way to start playing. That should leave enough space for further products if wizards decide to continue their different campaign promotion like neverwinter setting.

Timeline, I'd love to have a small bump in the timeline like 10 years or so? Things are stable now, cities and nations emerge from the ashes again etc. Im not especially fond of huge uninhabited wild areas all around the map, so I'd love to see them significantlly reduced from their 4e proportions.

A chapter about faerun's organisations would be cool. I'm a fan of cloak and dagger type books, love em! In 4e zhents and red wizard's merchantile power got a huge blow though. In their place we got a vampire living in a remote castle and a nation of undead. Both remind me of dungeons waiting to be explored instead of the dynamics one organisation could create in many campaigns.

I'd like to see some faces/pictures of famous fr characters in the front cover. Good and evil both, old with a mix of new faces we can read about in the new setting book. Perhaps with a city picture in the background (baldurs gate my personal preferance). Just a symbol of civilization returning, to banish the evil spellplague, big hole in the ground, nameless grey wastes spirits out of our setting.

NO more time jumps, the last time it happened it held the top spot of complaints.

the roll of years yes, that has to come back

I'd like a chapter that details the individual races( yes all of them) that are native to the realms this would include the avariel and the no longer drow dark elves. This would also contain description for them.

I'd like a chapter detailing a few of the realms organization, but not alot of detal, and its optional, listing them would do better and aone line deal on what they do.

I'd like to see how it was done for 3.0 and not how it was done for 4e for each area in the realms.( geopgraphy)
'd like to see Halruua return in some better fassion than just the underground enclave, really though they could just snapo tehir fingers and say they were mistaken it was always there just under some illusion, this is even more true if 4e halruua recieved no 4e attention in any of the novels.

a list of each deity and their portfolios and domains and brief description on what they stand for, and the deities unmerged like waht they did in 4e, and bring back mystra, mask, helm and eilistraee.

I also want to see a book for the pantheons go into fuurther detail on the deities, really it would make more sense, you'd have more room in the     campaign book for more important things like magical items, a few movers and shakers of the realms, and alot mroe info on each area.

and the players guide

must detail each race and sub race if said race has one, must list each human ethnicty  and detail them.reasons as to why my character would be from there adventuring somewhere outthere out of my home and such stuff.  (by detail them, I mean give description on what they look like too)                           

list each of the 100+ deities with their portfolios and domains

list and describe a few oragizations of the realms   
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I'd like a nod to some of the Living Forgotten Realms material. With literally hundreds of well made Forgotten Realms adventures (and carefully crafted campaigns), it'd be a shame to ignore that body of work.
no it wouldnt.....
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I'd like a nod to some of the Living Forgotten Realms material. With literally hundreds of well made Forgotten Realms adventures (and carefully crafted campaigns), it'd be a shame to ignore that body of work.

They could publish some kind of adventure-anthology that includes all of them. I don't think that it'd be worth to use some of the few pages available for the CS book to detail adventures.

I'm just hoping for the Realms to be more subjective.  I hate how they treat the Realms like one straight line of time.  You see, that's wrong.  The Doctor can attest to this!  In all seriousness, I want enough info to run the Realms game I want to run.  Seeing as retconning didn't work with 4e's take, I hope another retcon will be avoided.  But, if things are kept more loose and saying nothing is concrete, I'll be a little more happy.  That and multi-era novel support would be cool too.  If I'm given the chance to ignore the stuff during the "Spellplague era" without feeling left out like I did during 4th's run of the Realms, then I am very content.

The Knights of W.T.F. may as well be ghosts, but the message still stays;

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
+1 to DocNecro's sentiments.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

I don't think that it'd be worth to use some of the few pages available for the CS book to detail adventures.

Correct. That is not what I was suggesting. I was suggesting a nod to some of the events that thousands of FR players participated in, and/or some of the details in the setting that were fleshed out by the organization (i.e. as opposed to a single author making up new material that no one has any connection to yet).

no it wouldnt.....

Rude/unhelpful reply aside: I think you might've missed an advantage:

You probably don't like the spellplague changes? Well those changes were not done by a large organization of players with vested interests. Indeed, LFR material tends to be moderate and referential of the older material.

Using such vetted material helps guard against the type of further changes that the majority would disapprove of.

you're right I don't like the 4e changes they were comepletely unnessessery

and I was just saying, no it wouldnt hurt not to use it, but you are right it wouldnt hurt to use them either.

but if they don't return the roll of years listing in the 5e books, like it was in the 3e book, then using the lofr inofficial material would be pointless   
I think that in general the 5e starting point for FR is damage control. FR needs to regain some of it's former distinctiveness while not entirely throwing out all of the 4e changes. I don't think that the single author approach is going to be much of a problem. Their will be a 5e realms team and all signs point toward it being headed up by Ed Greenwood the settings creator. Hopefully, Ed can rekindle FR's flame.
A reformation of how the lands and economies have healed or developed around areas damaged by the Spellplague. What Role Druids might have played or are active doing to heal these or have embraced?
I want a continuation from where the FR is now, but told in a tone like used in the old editions and support for different periods in time as long as it's still part of one unified timeline.
I'd like a note in large font included as part of the preface, which says that if you intend to talk about the Forgotten Realms online you have to be nice, even when other people aren't nice to you.  Also, that if you aren't nice, Mr_Miscellany will find you, because Chuck Norris knows Mr_M can do the job better than him.

That aside, I'd like the 5E FRCS to:

• Return to an unreliable narrator voice.

• Show obvious signs of Ed Greenwood's influence and writing.

• Feature the work of Realms freelancers extraordinaire.

• Be fully integrated with the 5E rules, without the setting having to be knocked on its head in order for this to happen. Use the Magic Television approach like they did for the 3E Realms.

• Be primarily set in the post-Spellplague Realms, but written in the style of the Old Grey Box. i.e. finish all the work that the 4E FRCG didn't do and bring the mystery and wonder back, for Pete's sake!

• Cover older eras. If a place was more interesting two centuries ago then talk about that place as it was then.

• Advance the timeline to account for all that's happened in LFR and get Brian R. James on the task of updating the timeline.

• Go local. Don't give us massive overviews, instead give us local flavor. You've got time to build, WotC, so go slow.

• Include a world map (yes a world map); something that is printed on the other side of the standard map of the continent of Faerun. The map ought to be done by Mike Schley. Not everything has to labled on the world map, so some things are open for a DM to build on their own.

• ...be the product of people who had fun doing the work of making it.

Thanks for starting the thread Promitheas!

5e FRCS what would you like to see in the book?

- Totally eradicate all 4E material, "history," and implications on Realms cosmology.  Toss all of that into a bin and set it on fire.  Never acknowledge it again, and treat it as if it never happened.
- Develop regions that have (for decades now) needed more detail.  Stop focusing on Cormyr and Waterdeep.  Updates are welcome.  Focusing solely on the same two areas over and over for 30 years, rehashing and re-publishing the same thing, is not.
- Treat gods like gods, not NPCs with monocular vision.
- Focus on humans, elves, dwarves... the standards of the genre.  I'm sick to death of devas, genasi, dragonboobs, and the like.
- Minimize the use of aberrations and Far Realm nonsense.  Lovecraft does this well, you don't.  At all.
- Return to good storytelling.
the intro letter written by the fox at twilight.
Ive been thinking about this, and what  Iwould really like to see, is focus on lesser known parts of the Realms, you know, someplace that hasnt been in the spotlight, I mean yeah, we all know Waterdeep's big, they stick a fold-out map of Theymarsh in there and im sold!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Agreed, perhaps tethyr?

Keep in mind that there has been some discussion about realms being the core setting. So a "traditional" medieval region maybe be appropriate.
Nah, not Tethyr, that got a fairly big write-up in 2e with Lands of Intrigue.  I'd like to see something for regions they've covered, but never covered that in-depth, like the Vast which was only partially touched on with Forgotten Realms Adventures, or Sembia, which has received a lot of exposure through novels, but next to nothing in sourcebooks.  Same could be said of the lands around the Dragon Coast, and what I guess should be the "Central Heartlands", that little strip of land between the Western Heartlands and the Dragon Coast that we know pretty much nothing about, not really.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

but how many actually have the land of intrigue from 2e.......
but how many actually have the land of intrigue from 2e.......

Damn it, I thought I could link to the part of the WotC homepage where one could download the LoI PDF for free, but it seems to be taken down Cry
Silversword got banned for linking that anyway.....

What? You nowadays get banned for linking to files that WotC themselves are hosting as free giveaways? Surprised

IIRC it was announced as a big feature and WotC wanted to have us all know how generous they are. I mean, if they no longer want to give them away they should just take them from the site (which they obvioisly did) and not banning users for telling others about their own old edition download offers which they themselves created to be downloaded

IIRC that was around a year ago. Someone posted the link in the previous editions general section. someone reported it as piracy.

Poof the downloads disappeared.

When folks pointed out that the pdf's were from WotC's site and free, people got banned for question the moderation around here...

HAND OF KARSUS!

What? You nowadays get banned for linking to files that WotC themselves are hosting as free giveaways? 

IIRC it was announced as a big feature and WotC wanted to have us all know how generous they are. I mean, if they no longer want to give them away they should just take them from the site (which they obvioisly did) and not banning users for telling others about their own old edition download offers which they themselves created to be downloaded

Especially because nothing on the web is truly deleted (Internet Archive helps with that...)

The Knights of W.T.F. may as well be ghosts, but the message still stays;

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
Lands of intrigue was a long time ago, and 100+ years before current timeline.

Wasnt there a city of ravens bluff book, which also had lots of vast details? Not that I mind vast, just saying...

Sembia, I like that proposition as well. I dont know if it will be under shade's rule still but being oppressed/outlaw/rebel for a core concept could range from a pretty awesome to a pretty bad idea.

Id like to suggest impiltur as well. Im a fan of the kingdom of swords and wands, cant help it.
Yeah, it was a long time ago, but it was there nonetheless, which is more than can be said for a lot of places.  Outside of the campaign settings themselves, Sembia and the Vast haven't received much love outside of the Forgotten Realms Adventures book, which really only covered the cities themselves, rather than the region. 

And certainly the Raven's Bluff book touched on the Vast, but that amounted to just a few pages, and it felt more like an afterthought than a real attempt to cover the region.  Usually it wasn't much more than a paragraph per entry.  Same could be said of Impultur as well, which really has been horribly neglected for how central it seems to be historically.  Thesk at least got cursory coverage in the Unapproachable East sourcebooks... but still needs some fleshing out anyway.  Maybe a book that covered from the Vast to Thesk would be an even better idea.

To be perfectly honest though, I sort of forgot about the time jump and the discrepencies, as I seem to have successfully erased any conscious awareness of 4e's changes for a brief while.  Well done me!

- Oscar Wilde

I would like the focus, if there is one, to be on one or more of the following:

- Cormyr and the Dalelands;
- the Moonsea North; or
- the North including Luruar/the Silver Marches and Waterdeep.

These are all popular areas - and popular is important to ensure sales - and all have interesting histories etc....
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom