The magic of Spirits and SoulBonding!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello guys first time magic player, long time wizard here. Recently I've gone through my first tourney i.e. Game Day and I found myself losing my first round 2/0 to a Griselbrand/Spirit deck. Rather pro.... anyways I'm hoping for some Deck Doctor super pros to take a look at both my decks to see how things are and suggestions on making it good enough for both casual play and tourneys if they come up:

First deck was canibalized from Humanity's Vengence:

Lands

10 x Plains
13 x Islands

Sorcery + Artifacts

1 Ring of Thune
1 Ring of Evos Isle
4 Mana Leak
3 Downpour
1 Safe Passage
2 Oblivion Rings
3 Rightgeous Blows
1 Elixir of Immortality

Monsters
2 Fiend Hunter
1 Clone
2 Mist Ravens
4 Artic Avens
3 Gideon's Lawkeepers
 3 Kraken's Hatchlings
1 Rotcrown Ghoul
1 Blade Splicer
1 Wind Drake
1 Nearheath Pilgrim
1 Tandem Lookout

Next one's my Geist deck
Lands

13 Island
12 Plains

Sorceries and Spells

1 Faith's Shield
1 Midnight Haunting
2 Glorious Charge
1 Peel from Reality
2 Oblivion Rings
1 Switcheroo
1 Rewind
2 Pacifism
1 Lingering Souls
1 Geist Snatch
1 Intangible Virtue

Monsters
 1 Chapel Geist
2 Knights of Glory
1 Voiceless Spirit
2 Gallows Warden
 1 Battleground Geist
1 Mausoleum Guard
1 Voice of the Provinces
1 Drogskol Captain
1 Tower Geist
 1 Nibils of the Mist
1 Goldnight Redeemer
1 Seraph of Dawn
1 Sphynx of Utunnn
1 Dungeon Geists
1 Nibils of the Breath
1 Crusader of Ordric
1 Phyrexian Metamorph 

==============

I hope this isn't too much to ask for a bit of help XD; 
I didn't count the number of cards, but it looks like you have too many for the amount of mana you have. I usually only go with 60 anyways.
[ c]Plains[ /c] (Without the spaces before the c and /c) = Plains.
Please do this for those who don't know what all the cards do.
You have a lot of singles of cards so you normally wont draw what you are looking for at the right times. Drop out some of the not needed cards for some that would help more. 
Oops, I scrolled through it so quick I didn't notice that you posted two decks. You should check out some of the archetype decks though. I'm sure there are bound to be some human ones. 
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
I was hoping for a little bit more of a focused critique on my own deck like suggesting cards I'd need how many etcetera o.o 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />First deck was canibalized from Humanity's Vengence:

Next one's my Geist deck
[deck]
Lands

13 Island
12 Plains

Sorceries and Spells

1 Faith's Shield
1 Midnight Haunting
2 Glorious Charge
1 Peel from Reality
2 Oblivion Rings
1 Switcheroo
1 Rewind
2 Pacifism
1 Lingering Souls
1 Geist Snatch
1 Intangible Virtue

Monsters
 1 Chapel Geist
2 Knights of Glory
1 Voiceless Spirit
2 Gallows Warden
 1 Battleground Geist
1 Mausoleum Guard
1 Voice of the Provinces
1 Drogskol Captain
1 Tower Geist
 1 Nibils of the Mist
1 Goldnight Redeemer
1 Seraph of Dawn
1 Sphynx of Utunnn
1 Dungeon Geists
1 Nibils of the Breath
1 Crusader of Ordric
1 Phyrexian Metamorph 

[/deck]

autocarded, too lazy to fix typos/plurals. But it's a start. ;)
What sort of goal do you have for the deck? With Innistrad spirits, your main tribal identity is evasion. This comes in several forms:

Hexproof (Drogskol Captain)
Negate Damage/Return to Hand (Moonlight Geist/Lantern Spirit
Tapping (Niblis of the Urn/Niblis of the Mist/Niblis of the Breath/Dungeon Geists)
Unblockable (Latch Seeker)
Intimidate (Spectral Rider)
First Strike (Voiceless Spirit)

There's also a little bit of mill (Mindshreiker/Shriekgeist/Tower Geist) but there are usually better options. Additionally, pretty much every noteworthy spirit (Geist of Saint Traft not included) has flying, which is another form of evasion. Regardless of your choice, there are some things you should definitely run 4 of:

Drogskol Captain
Intangible Virtue (tokens are a big aspect of spirit decks)
Favorable Winds (with so many fliers its a free anthem to everything)
Midnight Haunting and Lingering Souls (I would recomend a splash of black to pay for Lingering Souls flashback. It really is that good)

Avoid the more costly spirits unless you intend on playing a lot of multiplayer:

Battleground Geist
Drogskol Reaver (it really just costs too much, even if you do get a good win-con out of him)
Gallows Warden
Spectral Gateguards (vigilance is cool, but you won't be playing him till turn 4 at the earliest. Spirits don't have any good, solid bodies by that point asside from Dungeon Geists and Geist of Saint Traftmaybe)
Soul Seizer (cool idea, but not really effective, IMO. Others may differ)

I've made my own U/W Spirit deck, and its success rate is pretty high, though it doesn't hold up if the opponent has a way to wipe the board. I decided to go with the tap/token mechanics for my deck, focusing on locking down key targets and building an army in the meantime:

Again, this is just my build, not something I think you should necissarily follow. Do note, though, that the more 4-ofs you have in your deck, the more consistent you will be.

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20795.jpg)

For the birds, kinda wanted to use soulbonding quie a bit, while the spirit one was to use Crusader of ordric to summon out a powerful monster with little cost 
Geist-Honored Monk could work better for that, imo. You want a lot of token production if you want to use something like Crusader of Odric.

What woul go for that? Also wondering about the Soulbonding deck as well 
Well, I'd say Midnight Haunting, Lingering Souls, Gather the Townsfolk, or any other token producing spell would work with creatures like Geist-Honored Monk or Crusader of Odric since you're not only putting more creatures on the field, but boosting your win-con. There are actually a lot of W/B decks that run token successfully, though that starts to take you away from the 'spirit' theme. I haven't looked enough into Soulbond yet to come up with anything at the moment.

Interesting...