Pain, Warforged Barbarian

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Calm
Cares for young children, very protective
Speaks with joy about the Creator or his Creations

Very spaced out, often stares into the sky. Talks gibberish sometimes (he's defective). He strikes with a call to the Creator, singing of how the Creator will fix him, make him whole again.
He is covered in insane markings etched by himself. They give him a way to pass the time, as he traces his fingers along the surface.
In battle his eyes glow a bright blue, and he claims he feels whole again. Whenever possible he avoids entering his manic state of rage, but when a companion is in danger he fights to the very end to save them.
Plays his lute when bored

Pain's major problem is an error on his rune. A slight miscalculation lead to an unsteady flow of energy. Over years Pain has learned to control the flow to a degree, keeping himself from a constant berserk by lowering the energy from the rune. This restriction causes him to be unfocused and often appearing to be mentally handicapped. When in combat the rune seems to mend the flow temporarily, giving him a brief sense of relief. Reluctant to give up his freedom, Pain will only go into a rage when his companions are in danger 

Pain Statblock

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Pain, level 1
Warforged, Barbarian
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 11.

AC: 14 Fort: 17 Reflex: 11 Will: 11
HP: 31 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +9, Acrobatics +4, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering -1, Heal -1, History, Insight -1, Intimidate +2, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery -1

FEATS
Level 1: Powerful Charge

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Devastating Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Recuperating Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Avalanche Strike
Barbarian daily 1: Bloodhunt Rage

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Maul, Lute
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Any ideas for Pain? He is a "barbarian" but not in the normal D&D way. Anything from story/plot ideas to dumb choices I made in his stats

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
hmm...perhaps his rune wasn't damaged to begin with? maybe there was something he or someone else did to it, and he can't remember? what kind of jibberish to you mean? do you mean fjdkla;gjkbjkrnuinjkewn? or even pancake computer flying elderly? or does he speak spiritual metaphysics? the looking at stars and highly calm indicate the spiritual metaphysics, but as a warforged with a damaged data flow (his rune), it could also be ghjkahgjkfkdkgjbjkruvow. each one gives him a different feel.

just making i understand correctly: he doesn't like to beserk, but it is only during combat that he feels whole? is it possible that his rune isn't broken at all, and the fact that he makes it run too low is the real problem, and he just doesn't like the kind of person he is when his rune is functioning normally? that would mean he has supressed his own personality (or at least a part of it) and this has caused him psychological strain which manifests itself as his self-destructiveness and aparrent disconection with reality (his intelligable gibberish).

hope these ideas help. your stats seam fine, although i would think he's more an int:8 and wis:10, it's entirely possible i don't understand the character propperly. 
I was thinking for the gibberish to be more "lost language" sounding, although the "gjdaskeisgjekdghlk" is a good thought.
I did kinda write up the description fast, so I don't know *exactly* how I want him to end up.

I like the thought of him getting sabotaged. This leaves room for him to be much older than I previously planned, give him a major enemy, and make for interesting rp when someone he doesn't remember says hi.

My initial thoughts with combat and berserk were- The "combat" part of his sentience is not damaged, so his mind feels whole for that time. Going with this line of thought, berserk is harder to explain.
Now I don't know how I want to explain the berserk. Hmmm.

When the villain who sabotaged his rune did such, Pain found himself in a constant bloodlust. The combat section was reacting to the change in his rune as a direct threat to Pain. Over years of mental training, Pain finally learned to control his need for combat. 
During fights, Pain allows his mind to slip a little. This reduced focus on controlling himself gives him a moment of mental peace and clarity. When an innocent or companion is in danger, however, Pain releases his pent-up rage in a wild onslaught.
Often it seems as if Pain has completely lost his mind. He speaks in a long-lost tongue, repeating a phrase and muttering to himself as he stares at the sky. This is not insanity, but rather a way foro Pain to calm himself. The words are a phrase he learned from a scholar on his quest to calm himself. The scholar then taught him this phrase that he used on a trip to the far-realm. It roughly translates to- "Pain is of the mind, and my mind is strong." This is where Pain took his name.

His wisdom 8 int 10 is him being spacy all the time, he doesn't pay attention. Not stupid, just... "out there"
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
ah...i think i see a bit better now. only part of his psyche is damaged, and so when he's relying on parts that do work, such as his fight-or-flight responce, it feels more natural/clearer. but at the same time he has to be careful because his fight-or-flight responce has over-aggro'd in responce to the damage his foe did to his rune.

do you plan to use a RL language for Pain's chant, or just make up something that sounds cool? i like to use latin whenever i want to sound like i'm speaking an old language:

latin
Dolor mentis est, et fortis mentem.

its weird helping someone else flesh out their character, because all you can do is come up with your way of doing it and see how the Player likes it. this is the first time i've tried to assist someone in creating a charater other than my own...Tongue Out
well you're certainly doing a fine job of it! thanks, I appreciate your help

Latin is a great idea! Didn't even come to mind... I'll use it for sure.
Spot on with your interpretation by the way, he enjoys the clarity but doesn't want to let too much out.

My DM is going to loooove this ^.^ I'm the only experienced player in a group I'm joining so I hope this will be a good example for the new guys.

in case you are a music connosieur, do you have any recommendations for songs he could play on his lute? it's another calming mechanism for him... guitar only songs could work too
Thanks again, you are quite helpful ^.^ 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Glad i could/can help

sorry, but the only music i can think of that isn't multi-part is Ocarina of Time songs. that said i have a freind who makes "indian flutes" (no idea if they are the way native americans make them, but i would asume so based on the freind) and the music he plays on them sounds really cool in a way that could work with Pain's personality. i don't know where to suggest you look for some music like that, but you might want to see what google/youtube can find you.
There is a lot of amazing and really calm musics with lutes in old french culture from the 12 century.

there is a few luth songs on youtube.

thanks, i like that first one chaos ^.^ i can't watch both due to internet issues but I'll be sure to compile a list of similar songs before the first game
Appreciate the help guys, this should be it for Pain for a good while. First session is coming up, I'll post how his character naturally devolops. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Sign In to post comments