Triassic Egg versus Icy Manipulator

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a Triassic Egg in play with two charge counters on it. After my opponent declares his attack, I sacrifice the egg to bring a Benthic Behemoth into play to act as a blocker. In response, my opponent activates his Icy Manipulator to tap my Triassic Egg. I believe this effectively stops me from being able to bring out my Behemoth as the Egg is "turned off" before I can use its activated ability (if I understand the stack timing correctly). Wanted to double check though since the activation cost of the Egg is , if that makes a difference or not. Also, do I have to reveal the creature I am bringing into play via the Egg before my opponent has to decide whether or not to use his Manipulator to turn off my Egg? Thanks.
I have a Triassic Egg in play with two charge counters on it. After my opponent declares his attack, I sacrifice the egg to bring a Benthic Behemoth into play to act as a blocker. In response, my opponent activates his Icy Manipulator to tap my Triassic Egg. I believe this effectively stops me from being able to bring out my Behemoth as the Egg is "turned off" before I can use its activated ability (if I understand the stack timing correctly). Wanted to double check though since the activation cost of the Egg is , if that makes a difference or not. Also, do I have to reveal the creature I am bringing into play via the Egg before my opponent has to decide whether or not to use his Manipulator to turn off my Egg? Thanks.

You get your Behemoth.  The tapping of the egg is part of the cost of the ability, and paying costs can't be responded to.  By the time your opponenent can use Icy, the Egg's ability is already on the stack and paid for.

EDIT: I was looking at the wrong ability.   See more complete and correct answer below.

108. Cards

108.1. Use the Oracle_(TM) card reference when determining a card's wording. A card's Oracle text can be found using the Gatherer card database at gatherer.wizards.com.

The activation cost of the "Sacrifice Triassic Egg: Choose one — You may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield; or return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if two or more hatchling counters are on Triassic Egg." ability is "Sacrifice Triassic Egg", not "".  The timing of the declare attackers step looks like:

1. Declare attackers step begins.  Active player declares attackers and taps them.

2. Active player gets priority and passes.

3. You get priority and activate the "Sacrifice Triassic Egg: Choose one — You may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield; or return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if two or more hatchling counters are on Triassic Egg." ability.  You declare you are choosing the second mode, specify a Benthic Behemoth in your graveyard as the target, and pay the cost by sacrificing Triassic Egg.

4. You get priority and pass.

5. Active player gets priority and wants to activate Icy Manipulator.  But the target of that ability must be "artifact, creature, or land", NOT the card that was put into your graveyard in step 3.  [CR109.2]  Active player passes.

6. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 3) resolves.  You put that target onto the battlefield.

7. Active player gets priority and passes.

8. You get priority and pass.

9. Declare attackers step ends.

I assumed the Benthic Behemoth was in your graveyard.  If it was in your hand, you choose the first mode in step 3, and there is NO target.  The card is then selected when the ability resolves.

Also, if you think that tapping the Triassic Egg somehow "turns off" that abiilty, there are some rules changes that you've overlooked.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
Tapped artifacts no longer "turn off". This was changed ages ago. A few cards (Howling Mine being one of them) still work this way, but it's because the cards explicitly say so, not because of any inherent rules.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

I feel compelled to mention, though, that even though he can't use his Icy to stop your Behemoth from entering play, he can tap it after it arrives, so it will be unable to block.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

108. Cards

108.1. Use the Oracle_(TM) card reference when determining a card's wording. A card's Oracle text can be found using the Gatherer card database at gatherer.wizards.com.

The activation cost of the "Sacrifice Triassic Egg: Choose one — You may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield; or return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if two or more hatchling counters are on Triassic Egg." ability is "Sacrifice Triassic Egg", not "".  The timing of the declare attackers step looks like:

1. Declare attackers step begins.  Active player declares attackers and taps them.

2. Active player gets priority and passes.

3. You get priority and activate the "Sacrifice Triassic Egg: Choose one — You may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield; or return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if two or more hatchling counters are on Triassic Egg." ability.  You declare you are choosing the second mode, specify a Benthic Behemoth in your graveyard as the target, and pay the cost by sacrificing Triassic Egg.

4. You get priority and pass.

5. Active player gets priority and wants to activate Icy Manipulator.  But the target of that ability must be "artifact, creature, or land", NOT the card that was put into your graveyard in step 3.  [CR109.2]  Active player passes.

6. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 3) resolves.  You put that target onto the battlefield.

7. Active player gets priority and passes.

8. You get priority and pass.

9. Declare attackers step ends.

I assumed the Benthic Behemoth was in your graveyard.  If it was in your hand, you choose the first mode in step 3, and there is NO target.  The card is then selected when the ability resolves.

Also, if you think that tapping the Triassic Egg somehow "turns off" that abiilty, there are some rules changes that you've overlooked.

Thanks! I should probably preface further posts with the fact that I quit collecting Magic during the Stronghold expansion and just started playing with my old cards again back in 2010. Looks like a bit has changed since I was heavy into it! Anyway, some of my posts will probably sound stupid because I've been out of the loop for so long.
I feel compelled to mention, though, that even though he can't use his Icy to stop your Behemoth from entering play, he can tap it after it arrives, so it will be unable to block.

Actually, that's how it went down! We were just wondering afterwards if he could have used the Icy even earlier on my Egg before my beastie came out. Thanks! 
Thank you all for your input. This is good, educational stuff here! I have an additional quick question about Icy Manipulators, but I suppose the proper protocol would be to create a new post?
Yeah, your post will be noticed quicker if it's in a new thread, and there's no problem creating a new thread for a new question.
All Generalizations are Bad
You're a returning player?

Read this.

Tapped artifacts turning off was abolished in 1999 (right at the start of that thread) mostly because it was impossible to come up with a simple way to identify what turned off and what did not
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You're a returning player?

Read this.

Tapped artifacts turning off was abolished in 1999 (right at the start of that thread) mostly because it was impossible to come up with a simple way to identify what turned off and what did not

Thanks! Good info.